AKG new headphone K545?
Aug 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,471 of 1,753
I have a pair of HM5 velour pads and experienced a similar level of sound issues as compared to the stock pads so have gone back to the original pads as they fit my head OK. The velour likely affects the sound even a bit more than the leatherette pads.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,472 of 1,753
I just got the AKG K545s tonight. I like the build quality and understated aesthetics of these cans and my initial impressions are that they are comfortable. However, they are too darn quiet. I suspect it has something to do with the cable, but 2.5mm aftermarket cables are hard to come by. Even at the highest volume level, I am yearning for more power. All my other portable headphones I can linger around 60-75% and be satisfied. My source is a 2011 MacBook Pro. Any way to get more volume out of these sans amping? 

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,473 of 1,753
wow I use mine straight from my laptop and phone with no volume issues. they work a bit better with an amp but I never thought it was required.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,474 of 1,753
wow I use mine straight from my laptop and phone with no volume issues. they work a bit better with an amp but I never thought it was required.

I found that cables with in-line mics and iDevice/Android functionality produce less volume than straight cables. Unfortunately, the AKGs only come with two of the former. I never use the iDevice cable that came with my 1Rs for this reason. I'm gonna pick up a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable, perhaps from Monoprice. I need the length too. I'm pretty sure I'll get the desired volume out of the AKGs with it. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,475 of 1,753
Just use an amp; one of the cheaper solutions is the fiio e7 which goes for 30 bucks and it's really a glorified volume adjuster. Boom solved.

Also can anyone compare these to the Q/K 701?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,476 of 1,753
  I found that cables with in-line mics and iDevice/Android functionality produce less volume than straight cables. Unfortunately, the AKGs only come with two of the former. I never use the iDevice cable that came with my 1Rs for this reason. I'm gonna pick up a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable, perhaps from Monoprice. I need the length too. I'm pretty sure I'll get the desired volume out of the AKGs with it. 

You probably have faulty cables.  There is no difference in sensitivity in my K545 whether I use it with its stock cables, my HD8DJ's spare straight cable, or the HD5x8 short cable that I have on it now.  Blame the Chinese factory. 
ph34r.gif

Just use an amp; one of the cheaper solutions is the fiio e7 which goes for 30 bucks and it's really a glorified volume adjuster. Boom solved.

I think you meant the E5/6, they go for that price.

K545 and K701 - nothing alike or in common other than a little dryness.  Boom, answered. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,477 of 1,753

Yeah but that eliminates some of the convenience, after all this is marketed as a portable headphone. Am I the only one who thinks these headphones put out about half the volume of the MDR-1Rs, HP50s, Momentums, and P7s? I'm pretty sure the cable is the issue. I must be one of the few here who likes to listen to his music beyond 50%. Probably the result of damaging my ears from time immemorial. Though pumping up the volume solves the isolation problem. 

Outside of the volume issue, I also want a longer cable so procuring some aftermarket cable is imperative. I wish the cable were 3.5mm. Anybody find a good 5ft-6ft 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable for these cans? 

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,478 of 1,753

You probably have faulty cables.  There is no difference in sensitivity in my K545 whether I use it with its stock cables, my HD8DJ's spare straight cable, or the HD5x8 short cable that I have on it now.  Blame the Chinese factory. 
ph34r.gif

I think you meant the E5/6, they go for that price.

K545 and K701 - nothing alike or in common other than a little dryness.  Boom, answered. 
biggrin.gif

I'm not too sure about that. I've noticed lower volume levels with iDevice cables that came with my other headphones. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,479 of 1,753
  Yeah but that eliminates some of the convenience, after all this is marketed as a portable headphone. Am I the only one who thinks these headphones put out about half the volume of the MDR-1Rs, HP50s, Momentums, and P7s? I'm pretty sure the cable is the issue. I must be one of the few here who likes to listen to his music beyond 50%. Probably the result of damaging my ears from time immemorial. Though pumping up the volume solves the isolation problem. 

Outside of the volume issue, I also want a longer cable so procuring some aftermarket cable is imperative. I wish the cable were 3.5mm. Anybody find a good 5ft-6ft 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable for these cans? 

Well I just tried my K5454's with both the stock cables and the Sennheiser HD598 cable and they both go up to around the same volume. I have my android phone set to half volume and that's already starting to get louder than what I'm comfortable with. Putting it up 3 notches already makes it difficult for me to listen to. It might have to do with your K545's drivers. Have you tried using your headphones on another device such as a computer?

If you want purely a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, you CAN get the bluetooth version of these headphones which has that setup for removable cables. It's around another 50 bucks more though but if you can get it exchanged it might not be a bad idea. Otherwise, the Sennheiser cable that's meant for the 5XX series will definitely work. There's a short version that's also available which is what you would probably want. The stock longer cable is so long I had to do a little braiding to shorten it.

http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

Boom, answered. 
biggrin.gif

Not quite as effective when the answer isn't as obvious.

Anyways, I was wondering since I saw a vid where someone compared the K550 to the Q701 and said they were quite similar sounding with the upper hand to the K550. Since the K545 sound similiar to the K550 but bassier and more rolled off with a smaller soundstage I was just wondering how close they'd sound compared to the Q701. I've only heard the Q701 once in a store and didn't get a chance to A/B them and the K545 when they were there together sadly.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,480 of 1,753

Well I just tried my K5454's with both the stock cables and the Sennheiser HD598 cable and they both go up to around the same volume. I have my android phone set to half volume and that's already starting to get louder than what I'm comfortable with. Putting it up 3 notches already makes it difficult for me to listen to. It might have to do with your K545's drivers. Have you tried using your headphones on another device such as a computer?

If you want purely a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, you CAN get the bluetooth version of these headphones which has that setup for removable cables. It's around another 50 bucks more though but if you can get it exchanged it might not be a bad idea. Otherwise, the Sennheiser cable that's meant for the 5XX series will definitely work. There's a short version that's also available which is what you would probably want. The stock longer cable is so long I had to do a little braiding to shorten it.

http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

Not quite as effective when the answer isn't as obvious.

Anyways, I was wondering since I saw a vid where someone compared the K550 to the Q701 and said they were quite similar sounding with the upper hand to the K550. Since the K545 sound similiar to the K550 but bassier and more rolled off with a smaller soundstage I was just wondering how close they'd sound compared to the Q701. I've only heard the Q701 once in a store and didn't get a chance to A/B them and the K545 when they were there together sadly.

Thanks for the response. I just played a track on my MacBook Pro then on my iPhone 5 and the volume was louder and more engaging on the iPhone 5. This has nothing to do with the drivers, or the cable being defective. I maintain these iDevice cables are designed to sound better through iDevices. I once bought my father a pair of Bose SoundTrues as a belated father's day gift and I noticed the same thing with those headphones.

I would scoop up that cable you linked me too in a heartbeat -- provided it were at least 5 feet long. Man, I really wish I still had my HD598s to test out my theory. I returned them just a few weeks ago. 

These are really nice headphones, hopefully I can find a suitable (longer) aftermarket cable for them. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,481 of 1,753
Try pulling the jack out just slightly on your MAC, I think the bands are not quite lining up. I have the same issue with some amps when connecting using an iPhone cable. But pulling the jack out slightly will fix the alignment issue.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,482 of 1,753
Try pulling the jack out just slightly on your MAC, I think the bands are not quite lining up. I have the same issue with some amps when connecting using an iPhone cable. But pulling the jack out slightly will fix the alignment issue.

I just tried, no dice. A little pull out and the music comes out of my speakers. Shouldn't be any reason to pull out, this is not sex.

These sound a lot better out of my iPhone. The soundstage opens up to boot. Strange.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,483 of 1,753
When I adjust it I slip my finger nail in to pull it back and that is about how much it needs to be adjusted. The alignment is is very slight.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,484 of 1,753
In any case you will want a straight stereo cable from the sounds of it. BTW in my experience not only is volume affected by this issue, it causes other audio issues as well, so you definitely want to get a different cable.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,485 of 1,753
This cable might work, http://mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4382

Users who are viewing this thread

Back