AKG new headphone K545?
Feb 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,097 of 1,753
  Hmm, I would like a set that doesn't do that.  

what is your source? have you tried running the test with other headphones with similar results?

you can go into sound properties -> disable all sound enhancements. and make sure your audio drivers are the right one slash up to date. you can get distortion on your computer based on your settings

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,098 of 1,753
  I tried that link and it sounded ok all the way through a little interference presence below 40hz but sounded good. I guess it is just a pressure thing but I would rather it didnae do that!
Thanks for the responses.

That just means you have a good seal with that ear...  If it's not impacting the sound in any way, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it is impacting audio, get it replaced.  Driver flex is more popular with in-ear models but is possible with over-ear.  Once the air pressure equalizes, everything is fine (it'll click in when you put it on and clock out when air pressure is released). 

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,100 of 1,753
I've been listening to Garage Inc. today. These sound really great with metal.

Good low sub bass but no mid bass hump that interferes with drums and bass guitar. Fast enough to keep up with Kirk and James with the constant splash of cymbals, too.

Some guys say they like bassy headphones because they listen to metal. Sorry, but bassy( mid bass hump): bad with metal. Flat bass response with low sub bass: good.

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,101 of 1,753
I'm thinking of ordering the K545 (Black) version but I noticed it has a much lower sensitivity compared to that of the K551 which I currently own. The only benefits I see to owning the K545 is that it has a removable cable design and is smaller in size. The reviews indicate that the K545 has better base compared to the K551 but isolation and soundstage is slightly toned down. I'd like some other opinions and comments before I purchase the K545 to complement my K551.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,102 of 1,753
You have read it right. If you want the portability or more bass the K545 is a good choice if you can live with slightly less isolation and a slightly smaller sound station. Signature wise the K550 is also a bit brighter.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,103 of 1,753
That just means you have a good seal with that ear...  If it's not impacting the sound in any way, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it is impacting audio, get it replaced.  Driver flex is more popular with in-ear models but is possible with over-ear.  Once the air pressure equalizes, everything is fine (it'll click in when you put it on and clock out when air pressure is released). 

Diaphragms always crinkle when pressure is put on them (compressed air from the seal). All that matters is if they uncrincle. It seems the K545 has a light diaphragm.

Thanks. I understand the physics of whats happening but I would have assumed that exerting that high pressure level, over time, must have a negative impact on the driver. Maybe it's negligible.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,104 of 1,753
what is your source? have you tried running the test with other headphones with similar results?

you can go into sound properties -> disable all sound enhancements. and make sure your audio drivers are the right one slash up to date. you can get distortion on your computer based on your settings

My laptops a dell and I have had loads of issues with the BIOS interfering with my audio drivers. The noise I was talking about didn't sound like it was from the cans but I will try another pair, thanks.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,105 of 1,753
Thanks. I understand the physics of whats happening but I would have assumed that exerting that high pressure level, over time, must have a negative impact on the driver. Maybe it's negligible.

It's negligible for the most part.  Driver flex rarely damages a pair of headphones. As long as they unflex, you're fine.  The flex is only for a split second too. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,106 of 1,753
My laptops a dell and I have had loads of issues with the BIOS interfering with my audio drivers. The noise I was talking about didn't sound like it was from the cans but I will try another pair, thanks.

hahah i had some subtle audio distortion with my old dell xps laptop. you should check to see if the distortion happens with specific sections of the song & is reproducible -> indicates problem with the source. Then you can see if it happens with a specific frequency or certain specific sounds, that would be more likely to be a headphone problem. If it is just random subtle distortion, see if it often occurs when there are a lot of programs running at once -> more likely to be computer issue. also, don't forget to check your cable connections & other equipment (dac/amps).

Make sure that your media player has all audio enhancements & effects disabled. reinstall most up to date audio drivers. disable all audio enhancements under sound properties. uncheck allow applications to take exclusive control of this device, and make sure that you have the correct sample rate & bit depth selected.

good luck & I hope you figure out your issue.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,107 of 1,753
Thanks, hah, it's a dell, that is all!
FWIW the dell studio is useless for pro audio when using a FireWire/USB interface. The BiOS runs a power saving feature in the background that breaks up your audio stream. You can hack this and disable it using a really long workaround on the net or use the crappy, high latency onboard sound card. I hate that laptop. Thanks for the info though!

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,108 of 1,753
Dweaver just out of interest what was your experience of the HP50's clamping force? I assume it was way stronger than the 545?
This is the biggest neg for me on the 545. The hm5 pads look deeper so maybe the would improve the clamp/seal a bit.
Thanks.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,109 of 1,753
The HP50 had more clamp. The only thing to watch is comfort as they are on the smaller side, not as bad as the Momentum but not a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back