AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,066 of 1,753
The K545 had slightly more sub bass and slightly less mid bass (not that the HP50 has mid bass hump though) or at least that is how I heard them. The mids are vary slightly in that the HP50 has a lower mid emphasis, the K545 an upper mid emphasis.

I did not find the HP50 better for image separation or sound stage but I do think these areas are much more subjective in nature so there will be people who disagree with me on this.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,067 of 1,753
  you might want to double check the bass part I thought the p50 has the fuller bass. never heard it thoguh

The K545 had slightly more sub bass and slightly less mid bass (not that the HP50 has mid bass hump though) or at least that is how I heard them. The mids are vary slightly in that the HP50 has a lower mid emphasis, the K545 an upper mid emphasis.

I did not find the HP50 better for image separation or sound stage but I do think these areas are much more subjective in nature so there will be people who disagree with me on this.

Thanks that's helpful. I've read a few contradictory opinions on the bass but heyho more sub bass is a common theme and that suits me! Very pleased to hear you didn't find the sound stage and separation inferior. I ordered the K545 and they arrive tomorrow,,,,stoked...just hope they aint defective ones..............

Even tho I want these cans are for pure enjoyment I'm still drawn to the pro-audio design/spec of the AKG + they look nicer.

I have used IEM's and studio monitors up until now and have never needed a portable amp but due to the low sensitivity of the 545's I just ordered the Fiio E11 on a bit of a whim with very little research....any thoughts on this would be welcome? My budget was pretty much spent on the cans.
Many cheers for the input.....greatly appreciated! 

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,068 of 1,753
Hope they work out for you, please post back your impressions good and bad, to help others in their decisions.

I know when I tried the HP50 the other chap who owned the HP50 thought the K545 sounded recessed in the mids. But it was the difference in emphasis between upper and lower registers. I also believe that this is why Sofastreamer did not like the K545 as compared to the SRH-940 as the 940 is elevated in the entire midrange which combined with the stronger sub bass of the K545 made the K545 sound V shaped in comparison for him. I do not think the K545 is V shaped but it really does depend on what a person is comparing them to. Just like these would sound bass light compared to the VModa M100...

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,069 of 1,753
BTW I want to offer a public shout out and apology to sofastreamer. He came here and offered his own impressions of the K5/845 and was hammered in this thread with lots of rebuffs to his comments by myself and others. While I do not hear the K545 like he does it doesn't make his impressions less valid but my posts and others certainly may have come across that way. This is the K545? thread not an appreciation thread so for myself I think I should have respected his voice a bit more.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,070 of 1,753
Hey everyone, 

Looking for a case for my K545's! What does everyone think of these? I do not need anything fancy, just something to carry them around in my backback. Will it fit?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YONZEG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or would this one fit it better?
http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Protection-Carrying-Headphone-Sennheiser/dp/B00DNVBUF2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,071 of 1,753
I will do. Your everyday listening device will impact heavily on your perceptions....I guess it takes your brain a while to adjust to the new sounds!
My UM2's are away for exchange and I've been using HD465's which will make the K545 sound out of this world but a familiar and eclectic playlist should suffice as a reference point.....plenty of time to make a playlist tomorrow while waiting on said parcel to arrive 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,072 of 1,753
Hey everyone, 

Looking for a case for my K545's! What does everyone think of these? I do not need anything fancy, just something to carry them around in my backback. Will it fit?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YONZEG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That case might be the bees knees. They mention the M50 which would be somewhat similar in size so it might be a good choice. If you get it and it works I would be interested. Right now I leave enough room in my soft lunch pack to lay mine across the top but a good case wouldbe a nice option.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,073 of 1,753
That case might be the bees knees. They mention the M50 which would be somewhat similar in size so it might be a good choice. If you get it and it works I would be interested. Right now I leave enough room in my soft lunch pack to lay mine across the top but a good case wouldbe a nice option.

I will post pictures when it arrives (should be Tuesday)!

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,074 of 1,753
sounds good, looking forward to them :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #1,075 of 1,753
Has anyone been able to compare them in size and sound to the K271mkII?

Bill

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,076 of 1,753
The two headphones I just happen to have the K271mkII and the K545. I have been following this forum from its start  and all these positive reviews have led me to purchase my K545s (which I received on Monday.) Since this is my first post I cannot show any pictures yet.  

Here are my measurements of the two:

K271mkII:

6in length
8.5in tall
4in width (ear-cups)

K545:

5.5in length and 8.5in (folded flat)
7.5in tall (unextended) and 8in (fully extended)
3.5in width (ear-cups)

Sound: I haven't burned in the K545s completely (still skeptical of difference.) But I notice slightly more bass and definitely more sound-stage than the K271s. It makes my music sound much more "fun" to listen to.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,077 of 1,753
The two headphones I just happen to have the K271mkII and the K545. I have been following this forum from its start  and all these positive reviews have led me to purchase my K545s (which I received on Monday.) Since this is my first post I cannot show any pictures yet.  

Here are my measurements of the two:

K271mkII:

6in length
8.5in tall
4in width (ear-cups)

K545:

5.5in length and 8.5in (folded flat)
7.5in tall (unextended) and 8in (fully extended)
3.5in width (ear-cups)

Sound: I haven't burned in the K545s completely (still skeptical of difference.) But I notice slightly more bass and definitely more sound-stage than the K271s. It makes my music sound much more "fun" to listen to.

Sweet! Is that ear cup dimension overall diameter or inside the pad where the ear would be?

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,079 of 1,753
  I will post pictures when it arrives (should be Tuesday)!

I hope your headphones fit! I had the hardest time finding a case that meet the K545s measurements and wasn't bulky. This is about all I found. It is a little expensive though, but I plan to purchase one soon: http://mygocase.myshopify.com/collections/shop/products/f-type-headphone-case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back