AKG K702 Omg! Outburst!
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #47 of 78
I think a different set of ears would help more than a different cable(not sure about the burn in as I got mine used). I mean that literally....I'm not joking. The fact that some folks (self included) find them extremely bright even after burn in, while others find them 'flat' and/or pure aural bliss has more to do with differences in hearing and the shape of individual ears than with cables or even amps. We really DO hear differently....just as I imagine we see colors differently and taste food differently. It's just a fact of life that is often not taken into account in discussions of gear. A different set of ears would doubtless make a much bigger difference in the way you perceive the 702 than a re-cable. BTW I tried a mogami recable with mine and heard no difference.
I'm using a 'neutral' ss amp with mine. Just a guess, but I don't think a tube amp would make enough of a difference to counter balance the brightness I'm hearing.
Quote:
Well mine got here about an hour ago. Firstly they look the business, beautifully finished....

I've had a quick listen and no doubt most phones take a little gtting used to but man these things are bright. If there are any experts tuned into this thread could you comment at all on how these might mature? If they stay like this I don't know if I will keep them. Have only tried with my tube amp so god only knows what my SS amps will sound like.

I know there are the doubters out there but would a different cable help and also will burn in help?

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #48 of 78
I listened at length last night and like I said earlier there really is a lot to like. I'm gonna live with them without changing anything in my system for the next 100 hours or so and get to know them intimately.

Yes they are still on the bright side but that is I believe the analytical nature of the phone and maybe my ears will ''Burn in'' and it will become one of the things I enjoy about these. The soundstage is magnificent and the sense of air with the right music is quite special indeed. I have quite a few phones but always 2 sets to choose from in my listening area at a time. These will take pride of place for the forseeable future next to my beloved T1's :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #49 of 78
˄ It wasn't my intention to turn this into a cable debate, I was just trying to save those inquiring a dollar or two.

Call it a hunch, but from what I've heard I can't find a difference in sound by changing the cable. Not to mention a change any less than 10% is inaudible, so all those claiming to hear a difference from recabeling are at the very least saying it changes the sound of the headphone more than 10%... quite alarming considering headphone manufacturers don't bother with it, and when they do in the case of the HD800 people recable them regardless. It's all about looks and having a unique headphone, that alone could improve the sound to the individual... I find myself some evenings staring at my glowing tubes and swear the music improves while I'm doing it! :)

In the case of single entry like the K702; you can spend hundreds on a recable to one side of the headphone and yet leave stock going to the other. How does a $200 cable connected to a stock cable make a difference over stock to stock? Truly if individuals actually believed it made a difference they would create a Y-cable and connect it directly top each driver... this is rarely if ever the case.

the sound will change if the AWG of the cable is changed, otherwise yeah, apart from that, it's pure looks.
Positioning of the headphone on your head and earpads will make more of a difference tbh. But yeah, this isn't a debate about that. For me, the K701 has far too many negatives over their positives for me to and many others to like them.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #50 of 78

Quote:
I think a different set of ears would help more than a different cable(not sure about the burn in as I got mine used). I mean that literally....I'm not joking. The fact that some folks (self included) find them extremely bright even after burn in, while others find them 'flat' and/or pure aural bliss has more to do with differences in hearing and the shape of individual ears than with cables or even amps. We really DO hear differently....just as I imagine we see colors differently and taste food differently. It's just a fact of life that is often not taken into account in discussions of gear. A different set of ears would doubtless make a much bigger difference in the way you perceive the 702 than a re-cable. BTW I tried a mogami recable with mine and heard no difference.
I'm using a 'neutral' ss amp with mine. Just a guess, but I don't think a tube amp would make enough of a difference to counter balance the brightness I'm hearing.

Well written post, and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm enticed to try out these headphones which please everybody. What are they called? :wink:

I came across this replacement cable for under $100: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Custom-made-headphone-cable-AKG-k702-1-5m-MK2-1-8-/360279522659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e2553d63

Description states:

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=medium]CHARACTER :[/size] [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Very low noise floor, More detail [/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Clarity & transparency[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Smooth without loss of detail.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Open & live sound[/size][size=10pt].[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Sweet VOX[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Excellent separation[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Reveals more low-level ambient detail & spatial cues.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Excellent high frequency extension. 
> Excellent bass extension & definition.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Medium-weight bass.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]   (sorry, if you looking for heavy-weight[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]    or punchy bass, it's not your choice).[/size][/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]That's quite a list for a cable. Sounds like what the AKG K702 headphones provide already. Anyone tried these?[/size][/size][/size]

Cheers

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #51 of 78

Quote:

The shape of ones ears and ear canal can definitely make a difference in the one hears music.    For instance sit in front of a pair of loudspeakers and then place your fingers behind your ears and push the back of your ears forward and experience a change in the sound spectrum.   One reason I do not like headphones that sit on top of the ear like Grado's do is that I noticed large differences in the sound reproduction depending on how and exactly where those types of cans sit on my ears.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #53 of 78
Pretty much the seller copy and paste lines trying to sell the cable. I seen that cable before on ebay.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #55 of 78

Quote:

I came across this replacement cable for under $100: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Custom-made-headphone-cable-AKG-k702-1-5m-MK2-1-8-/360279522659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e2553d63

Description states:

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=medium]CHARACTER :[/size] [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Very low noise floor, More detail [/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Smooth without loss of detail.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Open & live sound[/size][size=10pt].[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]> Reveals more low-level ambient detail & spatial cues.[/size][/size][/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]   (sorry, if you looking for heavy-weight[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]    or punchy bass, it's not your choice).[/size][/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]That's quite a list for a cable. Sounds like what the AKG K702 headphones provide already. Anyone tried these?[/size][/size][/size]

Cheers

I was wondering about this cable as well... looks kosher to me.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #56 of 78
not that i own the AKG, but when i went from the stock cable on my HD600 to the HD650 cable (shorter, slightly thicker) it made a clear difference, not to the treble as much but the bass impact and underpinning of musical notes was much improved. not a placebo either it was a genuine difference. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #57 of 78

I would think that you can change the position of large phones that cover the ears too, and alter the sound somewhat. Ideally you're supposed to have the driver centered directly over the ear canal, but many of us likely don't get it lined up exactly right. But actual physical differences in ear shape and size may have an even greater effect on sound....perhaps differences in the brain too, where the sound is ultimately perceived. We could all listen to an identical piece of music with the identical set of cans, but we would not be *hearing* the exact same music.
Quote:
The shape of ones ears and ear canal can definitely make a difference in the one hears music.    For instance sit in front of a pair of loudspeakers and then place your fingers behind your ears and push the back of your ears forward and experience a change in the sound spectrum.   One reason I do not like headphones that sit on top of the ear like Grado's do is that I noticed large differences in the sound reproduction depending on how and exactly where those types of cans sit on my ears.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #58 of 78
Not doubting what you heard, but has a cable ever passed a double blind listening test? For the $100 or more that some of them cost they should be able to do so.

Quote:
not that i own the AKG, but when i went from the stock cable on my HD600 to the HD650 cable (shorter, slightly thicker) it made a clear difference, not to the treble as much but the bass impact and underpinning of musical notes was much improved. not a placebo either it was a genuine difference. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #59 of 78
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=large]During Promotion Period [size=medium](from June, 2008 - Dec., 2009),[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=large]unit price = USD$91.00/each [size=medium](30% off of MSRP)[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=large][size=medium]  [/size][/size][/size][/size] [size=x-small][size=x-small][size=large][size=medium][size=x-small][size=large]AUDIOPHILE  FORMULA :[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=large][size=medium][size=x-small][size=large]Low noise floor = more detail = more clearness.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=large][size=medium][size=x-small][size=large]Less distortion = Less coloration = Better tonal balance = High Fidelity.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

I'm sure there's some truth in that cable ad, but a lot of it sounds like a bunch of marketing hype.
I like the way he throws that 'Audiophile Formula' in there. How much actual distortion is my stock 702 cable adding I wonder? It may be measurable, but is it actually audible? I'm not talking about outside interference. I'm talking about distortion added by the cable itself.

Quote:

Well written post, and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm enticed to try out these headphones which please everybody. What are they called? :wink:

Description states:

[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back