AKG K702 Impressions.
May 9, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #572 of 636
Try audiophileninja.com. I got my cable from there and it was less than $60. Very pleased with it.
Thank you. The thing is being outside USA makes it more difficult. Amazon its a safer choice.

Captura de pantalla 2022-05-09 a la(s) 12.30.38.png

Will this one be at least better than the stock cable?

May 9, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #574 of 636
Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #575 of 636
Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #576 of 636
thank you! the link does not work, but if you could just tell the name of the cable (OCC) and I will find it on AliExpress

Edit: Oh sorry, it worked. Got it! thank you so much
Sorry to you, I wanted to write SP-OCC (silver plated) not PC.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #579 of 636
Hi guys. Is there are any budget cable (around 60 bucks tops) that makes an actual upgrade from the stock cable, in both construction and signal quality (sound?)?
I personally think the stock cable sounds fine, it just feels horrid and cheap. But then in my opinions, the K702s are not build well either.

However, I do use headphones that take mini XLR, and I made my own.

If you live in the UK, this is a very good site to use:

Here is one that you an request at basically any length and have good quality Neutrik connectors at both ends. You can also select the colour of the cable.

https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/c...5mm-trs-mini-jack-lead-black-gold-connectors/

Or, if you are used to soldering, you could buy the parts which is what I did:

https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/c...r-plated-balanced-patch-cable-ptmc-per-metre/
https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/nys231bg-ll/
https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/rt3fc-b/

I also bought this one for my cable as for me a right angled connector is more convenient, but it doesn't look like they build one with this:
https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/ntp3rc-b/

All this said, I don't think they make a noticeable difference to the sound in normal listening sessions. You just have a choice of how long you want it, and far, far more durable cable.

If you are not in the uk, hopefully this just gives you a good idea of what will likely also be around where you are! It seems harder to find decent ones online as it isn't a very common connector. Sometimes you fine sellers that sell them and they have made them from good parts, but wired them up badly so sometimes is better to build it yourself.

Edit:
Inserted a link i forgot to!

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #580 of 636
Any recommendation for an amp / dac powerful enough to drive well the k702? Without breaking the bank and if possible one boosting the bass a bit too...
There are some cheap options. The FiiO A3 drove my K702s very well. It has the power to get these louder than you ever would want and it also has a bass boost switch that boosts the low end at around the 75hz region by about 4db. It is nice and clean too as it doesn't mess up the mid bass. I would say it suited the K702s quite well when you wanted the extra punch.

May 16, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #581 of 636
I am using this, hate the original cable, and anything thicker than this one, hehe, works perfect, impossible to make it tangled

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-16 055142.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-16 055142.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 0
May 18, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #583 of 636
Getting a bit of an upgrade itch here. Are the Sundaras considered an upgrade over the AKG K702 overall (minus soundstage of course)?
(When both EQd to Harman curve)
Sundara
+ : a bit faster; timbre is nicer; upper mids are cleaner and less shouty; more agile, deeper and impactful bass; treble sounds natural; easier to drive
- : slightly less detailed in the lower mids; comfortable but quite a bit heavier; gets more congested at times

I've kept A/Bing these two headphones for a time in various music genres and I've concluded the Sundara is not a worthy upgrade. There's a 5-10% improvement generally, mostly with electronic music and pop. I'd say save money for something like the Audeze LCD-2C, HiFiMAN Ananda or the Focal Elex/Elear.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #584 of 636
(When both EQd to Harman curve)
Sundara
+ : a bit faster; timbre is nicer; upper mids are cleaner and less shouty; more agile, deeper and impactful bass; treble sounds natural; easier to drive
- : slightly less detailed in the lower mids; comfortable but quite a bit heavier; gets more congested at times

I've kept A/Bing these two headphones for a time in various music genres and I've concluded the Sundara is not a worthy upgrade. There's a 5-10% improvement generally, mostly with electronic music and pop. I'd say save money for something like the Audeze LCD-2C, HiFiMAN Ananda or the Focal Elex/Elear.
Thank you. That's what I suspected. I was thinking maybe upgrading to a Hifiman Edition XS in the future, what do you think about that one?

May 18, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #585 of 636
Thank you. That's what I suspected. I was thinking maybe upgrading to a Hifiman Edition XS in the future, what do you think about that one?
I've previously owned other Hifiman headphones with the same solid material type of headband as the Edition XS (HE400i 2020 and HE400se) and they were supremely uncomfortable. :slight_frown: I don't know about the XS, but I'd take the Ananda if you want a comfortable pair of headphones with nice grip over your head and good weight distribution. They're a good upgrade over the K702, although I think soundwise it's the weakest of the headphones I've recommended. The Audeze has killer dynamics and bass and mids (but needs some EQing), same with the Focal, they're amazing, but they have a bit of a weird treble frequency response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back