AKG K702 Impressions.
Mar 27, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #556 of 636
A subject example I can describe is that when listening to the hd 800 S, and to a lesser degree the Arya, the sound sounded/felt like it was presented from a distance. In particular, with eyes closed, the "centre image" of vocals sounded/felt like it was in front of me as opposed to inside my head as it does with most headphones. I'm wondering how the k701 performs from that perspective?
I've never had that sense of in-front sound with any of the headphones I own (K702, HD-600, Focal Clear OG, HE400i).

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #557 of 636
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think soundstaging is largely the result of angled drivers and the choices made in producing the music. I have never heard the 800S, but I own K702 and Sennheiser HD-600 (which is generally considered to sound closed-in), and I hear no difference in soundstage. The both sound like...headphones on my head, and nothing like speakers in my room with respect to soundstage.
You can test the soundstage in this music: Hideaway - Jacob Collier.

In my shure shr440 the instruments are closer to each other while in the akg 702 they are very well separated.

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #558 of 636
Ridiculous question alert:

Is anyone here able to share thoughts on how the K702 compares with the Sennheiser HD 800 S, particularly in terms of soundstage (forward depth & width), imaging and separation? Many of the reviews of the k702 that I've seen suggest soundstage is their party trick yet the 800 S is generally regarded as the king, yet i can't really find comparisons which seems strange.

For context, I already own the Arya V2 which has a massively wide and tall soundstage. I compared the Arya against the HD 800 S and preferred the Arya at the time of purchase. At the £1000+ price tag I felt it offered lot more than the Senns in terms of frequency extension at both ends, tonality, layering. The soundstage was great but not on par with the HD800S. I also own a couple of grados which are also great for soundstage but still don't have a truly deep/forward stage.

I wouldn't mind something that offers an "exaggerated" soundstage like like the 800 S, for watching movies and for messing with my music once in a while.... but not for the 800 S price tag. What do you guys think of the K702 in that regard?
I am yet to try HD800s, I wonder how close K702 comes close myself. I do own the Arya though.

What is undisputable is that Arya sounds bigger, taller, fuller. When it comes to width, I think that the K702 feels a bit wider. Swapping between the two headphones quickly and concentrating harder, the width is probably on par so my initial impression may come down to the fact that K702 sounds thinner and more horizontal so it feels like the sounds are coming more from afar. That is just my impression though - others may vary!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #559 of 636
You can test the soundstage in this music: Hideaway - Jacob Collier.

In my shure shr440 the instruments are closer to each other while in the akg 702 they are very well separated.
I did find a wider soundstage on the Jacob Collier selection with K702 compared to HD600. However, neither of them gave me any illusion of someone in front of me.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #567 of 636
I can watch dolby atmos movies in my PC.
Fine, but can you get Dolby Atmos surround files over headphones connected to your PC? Remember that earlier you said you "don't know" when I asked if you knew whether Dolby Atmos sound can be played over headphones. As far as I know, the answer is NO. I'm sure you can get a downmixed Dolby Atmos signal over headphones, but you aren't getting surround sound or height channels.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #568 of 636
Fine, but can you get Dolby Atmos surround files over headphones connected to your PC? Remember that earlier you said you "don't know" when I asked if you knew whether Dolby Atmos sound can be played over headphones. As far as I know, the answer is NO. I'm sure you can get a downmixed Dolby Atmos signal over headphones, but you aren't getting surround sound or height channels.
I don`t know if you could play with your system because I need to enable it in Windows . Dolby Atmos was designed to be used in headphones too.
The only video I know talking about Atmos for headphones is in portuguese. It`s very different from watching movies or playing games without it.
I checked the dolby atmos website and there are some musics mixed in it.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #569 of 636
So I took the plunge - £100 new, seemed well worth it.

It doesn't soundstage quite like the HD 800 S. I guess the Senns retain the crown.

That said, the K702 is no slouch. Compared it against my Arya V2. It's sounds nearly as wide, but not quite. It also doesn't touch the Arya on resolution but it's less than a 10th of the price so fair enough. It's amazing value for what it is.

Anyone have any tips for reducing the clamp force on the K702?

Lastly, I know it's a bit of a price mismatch but the k702 paired with the Dethonray Honey is an amazing combo. I tried it with the monolith thx portable and the IFI micro idsd signature. The Honey really elevated the experience.

May 9, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #570 of 636
Hi guys. Is there are any budget cable (around 60 bucks tops) that makes an actual upgrade from the stock cable, in both construction and signal quality (sound?)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back