AKG K702 Impressions.
Jul 19, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #526 of 636
These days I usually use my K702 to watch TV shows, but last week I listened to some (classical) music. Sounded fine, but then I switched to Sennheiser Hd600's and found that the midrange was just so much more natural-sounding.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #527 of 636
I understand that the K701 and K702 sound the same. Is that right?
I ask because I don't care for the black look of the K702 and I would prefer the K701 in this regard even though the cables of the 701 are not removable.

Also, it is said that the headphone needs good power to sound right. How much power exactly? Where should I look for a matching amp?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #528 of 636
Yes, the K701 and K702 sound exactly the same. They do require more power than the specs would suggest. I'll leave it for someone else to suggest a specific amp. But I have had no problem powering them with any of these: Burson HA-160, Marantz HD-DAC1, THX Drop 789.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #529 of 636
I ask because I don't care for the black look of the K702 and I would prefer the K701 in this regard even though the cables of the 701 are not removable.

Also, it is said that the headphone needs good power to sound right. How much power exactly? Where should I look for a matching amp?
Sonata tempotec HD 1 & 2 drove k702, creative g3 drove it, asus strix soar and shanling up4 drove it better, and evga NU drives it very well, 2nd day with NU now, reliving all my libraries with refreshed satisfaction

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #530 of 636
Yes, the K701 and K702 sound exactly the same. They do require more power than the specs would suggest. I'll leave it for someone else to suggest a specific amp. But I have had no problem powering them with any of these: Burson HA-160, Marantz HD-DAC1, THX Drop 789.

Sonata tempotec HD 1 & 2 drove k702, creative g3 drove it, asus strix soar and shanling up4 drove it better, and evga NU drives it very well, 2nd day with NU now, reliving all my libraries with refreshed satisfaction
Thanks for replying. I have got an OTL tube amp (Little Dot MK III), KORG DS-DAC100, and iFi nano iDSD. I guess none of them are ideal - OTL is for higher impedance headphones, the KORG has an output impedance of 16, and the iFi nano is not a powerful amp.
On the other hand, I just checked the Sonata tempotec and it outputs only 60mW into 32...

P.S. I also have headphone out in my MARANTZ integrated (PM8005), Marantz SA14S1 CD player and also Marantz NA6005 network player but I have not even considered them in trying to drive the AKG.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #531 of 636
P.S. I also have headphone out in my MARANTZ integrated (PM8005), Marantz SA14S1 CD player and also Marantz NA6005 network player but I have not even considered them in trying to drive the AKG.
Can't hurt to give these devices a try. Marantz tends to build much better than average headphone amps into many of their devices.

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #532 of 636

No, they do not sound same. They have same body and shells, but there are 3 differences in accessories, which affect the sound:

1. Earpads - not only the color is different. Also fabric and dimensions. Main difference is in soundstage. I like the sound of K702 pads more.

2. Foam rings under the earpads - These greatly affect the treble area. There must be many original rings with different foam densities. I have three original AKG pairs from Thomann.de and two pairs from K701/2. All pairs have different densities and different treble (and stage of-course)! I like rings with the lower foam density, treble is not peaky but airy then.
When they were entirely new, K701 had much denser foam rings than K702.

3. Cable - This affect the sound maybe the least, maybe the most, it depends on listener. I have PC-OCC cable for K702 and I think the sound is clearer.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #534 of 636
Can't hurt to give these devices a try. Marantz tends to build much better than average headphone amps into many of their devices.

Yes indeed.
In the end I bought K612 PRO because of the higher impedance rate (120 ohm). I thought it would be a better match for my OTL amp. I was wrong. The PM8005 integrated amp turned out to be a much better quality amp for the AKG than the Little Dot. The SA14S1 CD player came out second.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #535 of 636
Long time AKG K702 user checking in. I just love this headphone, K702 was the very first open back headphone I bought, back when it was released in 2008/09. I had a budget of around £1,000 - £1,500 and was looking to get started in the hobby, so I bought a Yamaha CD-S700, Onkyo A-9155 stereo integrated amplifier, Gale Gold bookshelf speakers, Denon AH-D5000 and AKG K702. But out of those items only the K702 has remained in my possession, from that list. Actually i've owned 4 K702's since 2008/09, a very long story shortened,-my point is; it's the headphone I kept going back to. There's just something about it's sound that I find extremely satisfying. Back in 2008/09 the K702 was perhaps technically the best headphone on the market, it's resolution, detail, soundstage where state of the art for the time, the best in it's class, until the HD800 came along and hogged all the limelight. Whilst there can be no denying that the K702 has indeed been superseded by newer models in the last decade, I believe it still holds it's own in todays market, which is (in my opinion) an era dominated by headphones with extreme tuning. Most modern headphones are made with either too much bass or too much treble (too bright) and for me, the AKG K702 offers respite from this dilemma. For me it serves as a reminder of the way things used to be. When headphones had a more natural tuning. For me, K702 is worth keeping even just for the nostalgia it invokes in me. I think it's special.

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #536 of 636
No, they do not sound same. They have same body and shells, but there are 3 differences in accessories, which affect the sound:

1. Earpads - not only the color is different. Also fabric and dimensions. Main difference is in soundstage. I like the sound of K702 pads more.

2. Foam rings under the earpads - These greatly affect the treble area. There must be many original rings with different foam densities. I have three original AKG pairs from Thomann.de and two pairs from K701/2. All pairs have different densities and different treble (and stage of-course)! I like rings with the lower foam density, treble is not peaky but airy then.
When they were entirely new, K701 had much denser foam rings than K702.

3. Cable - This affect the sound maybe the least, maybe the most, it depends on listener. I have PC-OCC cable for K702 and I think the sound is clearer.
The earpads were the same at introduction. The foam rings seem to vary throughout the production run, but the K701 and K702 at introduction had the same rings. The K701 does not have a detachable cable. A fair comparison would involve the original cables on both.

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #538 of 636
How is are the K702 compared to the HE Sundara for orchestral/Instrumental music mainly?
Sundara is about $100 more, but is it worth? I'm looking for clarity and soundstage
I haven't heard Sundara, but the K702 have plenty of soundstage and clarity. The shortcomings (for me) are a lack of deep bass and a little too much upper mid emphasis.

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #540 of 636
Is the K702 very different in comparison to the K612? I had the 612 months ago and it wasn't muddy but the clarity wasn't high. Is there a big difference? Does the K702 have a better clarity? I thought they are nearly the same but after reading this review there could be a difference:

https://homestudiobasics.com/sennheiser-hd560s-review/

Great comparison here. Oluv can have very strong opinion, but one thing you can rely on is the amount of effort he puts into the sound recordings. He also did a video comparing the k702s, dt880s and hd58xs. The sound differences he captures are very realistic, but what they sound like is personal choice. He thinks the k612 is better that the k702 for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back