AKG K702 Impressions.
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #601 of 636
I just picked up a K702 and I’m really loving them so far.

I’ll add a longer reply with my impressions in the next day or two, but for now, I’ll just say that these have really exceeded my expectations. I don’t own any kilobuck headphones yet, but I have about a dozen mid-fi headphones, and the K702 is already right up there trading blows with the best of them.

I’m surprised these don’t get more recognition. From my research, it seems they were pretty highly regarded about a decade ago, but they don’t seem to get much discussion these days, and aren’t even sold by many of the big name headphone retailers. Strange.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #602 of 636
I just picked up a K702 and I’m really loving them so far.

I’ll add a longer reply with my impressions in the next day or two, but for now, I’ll just say that these have really exceeded my expectations. I don’t own any kilobuck headphones yet, but I have about a dozen mid-fi headphones, and the K702 is already right up there trading blows with the best of them.

I’m surprised these don’t get more recognition. From my research, it seems they were pretty highly regarded about a decade ago, but they don’t seem to get much discussion these days, and aren’t even sold by many of the big name headphone retailers. Strange.
Agree. Majority of users are looking for deep prominent bass, so that’s the first thing why they disregard these. And they may not have prominent bass, but they do have quality bass.

Also, planars like the Sundara took the market for surprise and have almost become the standard, and of course they are great, but there’s something about Dynamic Drivers that always delivers this extra level of reality that is still unmatched. A beautiful physicality that makes you feel the music, vs the more ethereal experience of a planar. And the K702 packs many great characteristics such as detail, naturality, and soundstage without losing the DD timbre.

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #603 of 636
Agree. Majority of users are looking for deep prominent bass, so that’s the first thing why they disregard these. And they may not have prominent bass, but they do have quality bass.

Also, planars like the Sundara took the market for surprise and have almost become the standard, and of course they are great, but there’s something about Dynamic Drivers that always delivers this extra level of reality that is still unmatched. A beautiful physicality that makes you feel the music, vs the more ethereal experience of a planar. And the K702 packs many great characteristics such as detail, naturality, and soundstage without losing the DD timbre.

I agree with this. There isn’t a lot of bass, but it’s very tight. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything. If I want a more bassy sound, I have other headphones for that. But for what the K702 is - a big, wide, airy, detailed, precise headphone - I think the bass is perfectly good.

Anyways, to follow up on my previous post, I’m very impressed with this headphone. A few thoughts and observations:

• These are the most detailed headphones I own. I don’t have any kilobuck headphones or any detail monsters, but I’ve always felt my Audio Technica A900, my Grado Hemp, and especially my Senn HD 6XX were quite detailed. The K702 beats them all. And for reference, some of my other headphones include the AirPods Max, AirPods Pro 2, Audio Technica M50, the Koss Big 3 (KPH30i, KSC75, PortaPro), Powerbeats Pro, Grado SR60, and Denon D750. The K702 beats them all for detail.
  • In terms of soundstage, the K702 is easily ahead of all of those. I find headphone reviewers in general exaggerate the extent of soundstage (ie. when they use distances to measure how far away things sound like they’re coming from). These aren’t loudspeakers, so it’s not like sounds are coming from 20 feet away. But with the said, there’s a huge sense of openness and airiness that I don’t get with any of my other headphones. These are definitely the top of my heap in terms of both soundstage and imaging.
  • The biggest worry I had going into this purchase is that these would sound thin. Often when you increase the soundstage and/or detail, you’re doing so by increasing the treble and thus making the headphone sound thin. Well, I don’t find these to be thin at all. They don’t have that warm blanket sound like my 6XX, but they still sound realistic and well balanced to my ear.
  • In terms of power, I’m driving them off a Topping L30 hooked up to my PC, which uses a Xonar sound card as the DAC. These are the first and only headphones I own where I really think the amp is necessary. People often say that about the Senn 6XX, but I find my 6XX sound fantastic off the $9 Apple dongle. They don’t get super loud, but they’re plenty loud for normal indoor use and they sound great. Well, for the first time, I find the Apple dongle may not be enough for the K702. They get loud enough, but they feel like they’re not getting enough juice and don’t quite have the detail or smoothness I get when hooked up to the L30.
  • I find the K702 to be super comfortable. I like the cushions, the leather strap is convenient, and even though they’re all plastic, they feel pretty well built. One potential pitfall is that the leather headband is attached to these elastic bands, so hopefully those don’t snap over time. Also, I’ve heard some reports about one channel cutting out over time and needing to be re-soldered. I don’t know whether that’s common or not.

All in all, these are great headphones thus far. I don’t think they’ll dethrone the 6XX as my overall favourite pair that I own (although they do beat the 6XX in several categories), however these are easily among my Top 5 that I own. Probably Top 3. It’ll be a while before I can decide whether these top the Grado Hemp for my #2 spot. The K702 are more technically impressive and far more comfortable, but the Hemp are ahead in terms of sheer fun.

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #604 of 636
I agree with this. There isn’t a lot of bass, but it’s very tight. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything. If I want a more bassy sound, I have other headphones for that. But for what the K702 is - a big, wide, airy, detailed, precise headphone - I think the bass is perfectly good.

Anyways, to follow up on my previous post, I’m very impressed with this headphone. A few thoughts and observations:

• These are the most detailed headphones I own. I don’t have any kilobuck headphones or any detail monsters, but I’ve always felt my Audio Technica A900, my Grado Hemp, and especially my Senn HD 6XX were quite detailed. The K702 beats them all. And for reference, some of my other headphones include the AirPods Max, AirPods Pro 2, Audio Technica M50, the Koss Big 3 (KPH30i, KSC75, PortaPro), Powerbeats Pro, Grado SR60, and Denon D750. The K702 beats them all for detail.
  • In terms of soundstage, the K702 is easily ahead of all of those. I find headphone reviewers in general exaggerate the extent of soundstage (ie. when they use distances to measure how far away things sound like they’re coming from). These aren’t loudspeakers, so it’s not like sounds are coming from 20 feet away. But with the said, there’s a huge sense of openness and airiness that I don’t get with any of my other headphones. These are definitely the top of my heap in terms of both soundstage and imaging.
  • The biggest worry I had going into this purchase is that these would sound thin. Often when you increase the soundstage and/or detail, you’re doing so by increasing the treble and thus making the headphone sound thin. Well, I don’t find these to be thin at all. They don’t have that warm blanket sound like my 6XX, but they still sound realistic and well balanced to my ear.
  • In terms of power, I’m driving them off a Topping L30 hooked up to my PC, which uses a Xonar sound card as the DAC. These are the first and only headphones I own where I really think the amp is necessary. People often say that about the Senn 6XX, but I find my 6XX sound fantastic off the $9 Apple dongle. They don’t get super loud, but they’re plenty loud for normal indoor use and they sound great. Well, for the first time, I find the Apple dongle may not be enough for the K702. They get loud enough, but they feel like they’re not getting enough juice and don’t quite have the detail or smoothness I get when hooked up to the L30.
  • I find the K702 to be super comfortable. I like the cushions, the leather strap is convenient, and even though they’re all plastic, they feel pretty well built. One potential pitfall is that the leather headband is attached to these elastic bands, so hopefully those don’t snap over time. Also, I’ve heard some reports about one channel cutting out over time and needing to be re-soldered. I don’t know whether that’s common or not.

All in all, these are great headphones thus far. I don’t think they’ll dethrone the 6XX as my overall favourite pair that I own (although they do beat the 6XX in several categories), however these are easily among my Top 5 that I own. Probably Top 3. It’ll be a while before I can decide whether these top the Grado Hemp for my #2 spot. The K702 are more technically impressive and far more comfortable, but the Hemp are ahead in terms of sheer fun.

I’ve been listening to the K702 for over a month now and I wouldn’t change a word of this post.

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #605 of 636
I’ve been listening to the K702 for over a month now and I wouldn’t change a word of this post.

I have owned a pair of the K702s basically since they were released (as soon as they showed up at my local hifi shop anyways) and I still find myself impressed by what they can do and even moreso when you factor in the modest price these are available for these days. The K702s and the Q701s are mu favorites from the x7xx series (I have owned them all at various points) and are some of my favorite midfi headphones period. My collection has gone through many phases and changes since I bought my first pair of K702s and yet they have been a constant through it all and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Cheers to the K702! 🍻

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #607 of 636
Hey guys I have had my K702's since friday they have been on constant burn in since then. They had less than 100 hours on them when I got them. I have put 100 hours since then.

They sound very good. I am really enjoying them. I am running them directly out of my Apogee Duet. I find them to be very detailed and neutral sounding.

The soundstage perception has gotten much better than when i first got them. I have found myself enjoying Andrea Bocelli, Norah Jones, and a lot of the vocal music that i have much more than i did when i had the HD650's. Don't get me wrong though these things do rock music very well too. I know many say the bass is lacking in them. They are lacking impact but the bass is there, and i find it to be plenty for most of the music i listen to. You are given a very accurate presentation of the recording you are listening to, if you give them a crappy recording they give you a crappy sound, give them a good recording and you get a good sound. You are listening to the music not the headphones which i really enjoy.

That is just my opinion as of now, I am sure these will change even more for the better as they continue to burn in. But they are making me enjoy a lot more of my music collection now.
Still like my modified K702s

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #608 of 636
I have owned a pair of the K702s basically since they were released (as soon as they showed up at my local hifi shop anyways) and I still find myself impressed by what they can do and even moreso when you factor in the modest price these are available for these days. The K702s and the Q701s are mu favorites from the x7xx series (I have owned them all at various points) and are some of my favorite midfi headphones period. My collection has gone through many phases and changes since I bought my first pair of K702s and yet they have been a constant through it all and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Cheers to the K702! 🍻
Have you pad-swapped? 702s sound great with Dekoni or Brainwavz pads

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #609 of 636
Have you pad-swapped? 702s sound great with Dekoni or Brainwavz pads
I bought K702 when they first came out. I used them for a long time with a Burson HA-160 amp, which added some warmth to the sound. The original pads deteriorated, and I bought a set of pads directly from KEF. I think they are somewhat harder than the original pads, but my memory could be faulty.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #610 of 636
Hello,

I own these and I like what heyyoudvd says as I own also hd6xx.

But I will choose differently from people here and keep hd6xx because they are easier to listen to and for my head more comfortable as I like listening in the bed.
I will miss the soundstage and some air.

Was wondering what would have a more laid back and warm signature with that soundstage?

Édit : I thought I would give a try to some softwares, even though I didn't want to spend hours with asio4all and so on...
I wanted fir, linear phase eq.
I ended up with equaliser apo, voxengo marvel and reafir, I draw a boost bell around 150hz, lower a bit at 2khz, then roll off from 5k to 20khz...
I have to admit it is great, I might keep that stuff now !

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #611 of 636
I use the K702s as a secondary reference to a pair of HD650s. Over the years, I have tried many other headphones for this purpose, but the AKGs remain the most suitable. Although most of the headphones I tried were a quick “nope” and immediately sent back or sold, the ones that made it past initial impressions more recently were the DT900 Pro X, ATH-R70x, SRH940, and Sundara.

I spent several weeks evaluating each of these headphones both with and without SoundID Reference. I can say with some certainty that every one of them is better than the K702 overall. Some more than others, however, that’s not the point.

The K702s party piece is that they enable critical evaluation of spatial balance, pan positions and relative levels. Few headphones are as revealing: the separation of layers is outstanding. This makes the K702’s soundstage somewhat holographic. If the source material is good enough, you can close your eyes and imagine you’re listening to speakers in the studio. I can’t think of any other headphone at this price point that achieves the effect quite as well as the K702.

That said, the frequency response is neither flat nor fun, they have less sound isolation than most other open-backs, and the unique headband and monstrous earcups take some getting used to. But as a companion to the HD650s, they are incomparable.

A few final notes… None of the headphones were better than the HD650 as a primary reference, especially with Sonarworks. I had K701s for years before replacing them with the K702. How well you know a headphone is always a major consideration when mixing and mastering. Outside of mixing and mastering, I sometimes use the K702 for casual listening because of the soundstage. Don’t believe what your read on the internet… trust your ears. You’ll know it when you hear it.

Cheers.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #612 of 636
Thanks for this great feedback.

Playing with tonebooster eq and morphit, I have decided that I will keep the k702 instead of hd6xx.
It has been proven that it has better transient response, probably phase response and I think this is part of what is making it superior in terms of stereo image and separation.
Hd6xx is finally too laid back and you are missing a lot of details and harmonics in the upper region.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #613 of 636
I have the K702's as well as the 6XX's. I find the 702's to be good when I want to do a critical listen. That is to hear the sound of the music and enjoy that. Where I use my 6XX's when I want to rock out. I've read where the 702's have a "meh" sound to them. I don't find that to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back