AKG K701 vs Denon D2000?
Apr 4, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #76 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by klb2122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok

so i'm new to the haedphone thing....
regarding burn-in....

does it have to be done as a dedicated activity or could you just allow it to happen with time?

i picked up a pair of k701's about a week and a half ago and i dont mind their abilities straight out of the box. i usually listen through speakers but late at night, after bed time for others in my home, i love what they do as is. I look forward to any improving that might occur but can i just let it occur as time passes by or should i be letting them run while i sleep and work. is my willingness to let the sound age gracefully going to affect their ultimate state and signal quality?

both will work when burn in is possible. i prefer listening to them straight out of the box too.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #77 of 81
I have both a K701 and D2000. Both are recabled as both phones have serious flaws with their original cables especially the K701 with their single entry cable and their use of the steel band as the conductor for the other driver
eek.gif
Once recabled (dual entry) the K701 has very, very good bass extension, and when used on a good balanced amp it can get very close to giving a visceral bass experience (try Bella Sonus - enamoured). The Bass on the recabled Denon is also good but lacks the control of the K701 and no longer has the edge in oomph either. I'm keeping both cans because the closed recabled, Denon is close to becoming my favorite closed can.

Note that each can has been recabled by a different vendor: the Denon has apuresound V3 and the K701 has ALO 22Ga Cryo Jena. Both can be used either balanced or SE with appropriate adaptors.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkems /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both will work when burn in is possible. i prefer listening to them straight out of the box too.

i'm very happy to hear that

thank you

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #79 of 81
morphsci: I have the same ALO-701's and got the same impressions listening to the Denon's in a shop with my Corda Move + iPod. The Denon's have the kind of sound I would really enjoy if I hadn't listened to a lot of hi-fi - more all round fun where as the re-cabled 701's are more precise, which I don't doubt many people find too much.

I'm looking for another pair of cans that are more "fun" than my 701's for something different so this thread has been interesting.

Adding inadequate amping and sources to the mix and the opinions in this thread make a lot of sense.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #80 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gurra1980, have you heard the k701s? I thought they were also relatively fast cans

An old question but I answer anyway
tongue.gif

Yes I have heard them, several times, and yes they are very fast indeed. Even though I have said some things that don't sound so positive. K701 IS one of my favorite cans and I have constanly been thinking of buying them since the first time I saw and heard them.

May 24, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #81 of 81
In my experience, the Denon soundstage is sadly small compared to the AKG. That was really the "wow" factor for me. The Denons don't seem to presence as well either (if that makes sense), though that may be an amping problem.

As for bass, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that wash-straight-through-you type bass just can't be found in headphones. Maybe in IEMs, weirdly, but mostly only by speakers, though getting the definition I want in speakers is sadly ridiculously extremely expensive. If someone can prove me wrong about this, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm incredulous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back