AKG K701 vs Denon D2000?
Jan 3, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #46 of 81
Interesting. I really don't understand how the K-701 can be bad for any genre, especially rock.

To my ears they hands down demolished the HD-650 and Alessandro MS-1 in this genre. Heck, even my K-501 caned the two of them for rock.

I personally don't subscribe to the notion of genre-specific cans. My MS-1 didn't have much deep bass and was pretty bright and harsh; hence it sounded worse than my K-701 and K-501 for everything. My HD-650 was too woolen and dark; hence it sounded worse than my K-701 and K-501 for everything. My K-501 had slightly boosted upper mids and less balanced bass than my K-701; hence it sounded worse for everything.

And the list of comparisons could go on for quite a while. I really and truly have never experienced some headphones being better for some genres than others, while being worse in other genres than the same headphones which they earlier bettered.

So I recommend the K-701. I doubt you'll regret it (unless the headband bites you) no matter what you'll listen to. Unfortunately I can't tell you that the D2000 is worse because I've never heard it, but I seriously doubt you will care if you get a K-701. And yes, I'm biased.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll say this...the k701s make me smile everytime I put them on...after 600hours-I really began to appreciate them. The Spacious soundstage...it's so wide, bass is perfect. I am not a salesman but I know what I like and
I'll say this...the k701s make me smile
everytime I put them on.

could you compare the k701 to the dt880? i'm deciding between these two and.. an entry level stax.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you compare the k701 to the dt880? i'm deciding between these two and.. an entry level stax.

Personally I would avoid electrostats if I'd primarily listen to rock. There's not enough substance behind the notes.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #49 of 81
I sold my DT880 and got the K701. The DT880 has a smidgen more impact in the bass as the K701 but otherwise, the K701 has better mids and isn't as lively in the highs. I do prefer the DT880 in comfort, but in overall sound, I prefer the K701

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #53 of 81
With regards to bass-light vs natural bass, does anyone agree that it becomes dangerous to say with confidence that a certain headphone is only producing the sound as the engineer intended? Headphones that I've tried with a lot of bass, D5000s, had a lot more than most headphones, including my grados. However, are we sure that its bass is elevated or maybe other cans aren't capable of producing that amount of bass while still remaining accurate? Since I've heard that freq charts can be misleading, how can you tell if headphones are truly "neutral"?

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #54 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure have a lot of cans for a Junior Head-Fier. Which ones are your favorite?

It really depends on what I'm looking for at any moment...there is no one do-it-all phone. If I want clarity and detail I'd say the w5000. The k701s are my go to phone for the widest soundstage, it is very revealing of source material and I cannot say enough about it...drums on the k701(my brother, Ron, was a drummer) and I've seen him many times live and the k701s reveal the drum hits as if I was watching live-snares, bass, cymals-very true. Now the RS-1s, exciting indeed...I cannot find adjectives due to my newness...give me time to open up. I have head-fi to thank and the advice in this forum is the best-I've never been dissappointed due to thoroughly reviewing the cans here at head-fi prior to purchasing.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #55 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't because their is no comparison, my friend. I'll say this...the dt880s are in the closet and I've not listened to them in quite some time(they were my first purchase), while the k701s get more listening time than the RS-1s, GS1000s, W5000s, Senn HD650s or any other phone I have.

I would call my 880s muddy with bass and to be very unrefined-they lack truism and detail that I for one love. I love a bass to sound like a bass guitar and I don't like the bass to steal the show, you know-Music is about all of the instruments not just a Bass.

I'll say this, if I had it to do over-the HD650s would be all I need for a bit of bass heavy flavor, you know.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you say "isn't as lively in the highs" are you saying its fairly balanced, unlike most consumer speakers, which are either top heavy or bottom heavy?

The DT880's had an nearly artificial sparkle in the highs. You can hear more of the sibilance for example. The balance is overall very similar to the K701's, but in the end the K701's just sound more natural in the highs. There is some upper midrange emphasis in the highs that give the K701 sometimes a grainer upper mid sound, but in general it sounds more balanced. However, I have always found them a bit bass light compared to my reference speaker system (carefully EQ'ed frequency response). I do find the K701's more balanced than quite a few of other headphones in the Beyer or Grado range.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #57 of 81
I own both and enjoyed both but fell in love with both when I had Moonaudio
recable them. Their game was elevated to another level. Better clarity and tighter bass in the Denon; warmer, more dynamic bass in the 701 and an even larger soundstage if that is possible. Definitely worth the investment. Haven't considered a hp purchase since the recabling!

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #58 of 81
so basically does everyone here agree that they are on the same league when we speak of naturalness and realistic timbre of vocals and instruments?

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #59 of 81
The D2000 is the Jack of all trades and master of rock!

To my ears the D2000 is the more neutral, I hear this when I'm listening to drums or deep piano notes, drums played on K701 doesn't sound like real un amped drums to me, it's more like: dikki dikki smick smick tzzi tzzi than ragga dack smack smack crash crash
tongue.gif
even my tiny Dynaudio Audience 42 without subwoofer does drums better than K701.

If you want a can that to my ears beat both those headphones when it comes to neutrality buy the HD600

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #60 of 81
The D2000 just does everything "right" -- it sounds like live music is meant to sound -- ALL the sound is there -- you hear it all with these cans, top to bottom of the frequencies.
Nothing is overwhelming, and nothing is missing, either.
These are the last cans I would ever part with.
And I have plenty of mighty fine other cans -- no junk -- but all would go before my beloved D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back