AKG K701 vs Denon D2000?
Jan 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 bass is weak, and doesn't extend nearly as low as the D2000's. Plus they aren't even close to being in the same comfort level.

On some songs with very low bass notes, you can't even hear them with the k701's, with the D2000's, you can hear them loud and clean.

I disagree,
K701 might have thinner bass, but they much refined than D2000.
All I can say, closer to natural sound.

And I found my AKG K701 is much more comfortable than D2000 in every way,
I simply can't stand the leather pads, my ears keep getting hot after using it for short to mid period of time.

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree,
K701 might have thinner bass, but they much refined than D2000.
All I can say, closer to natural sound.

I simply can't stand the leather pads, my ears keep getting hot after using it for short to mid period of time.

lol, the K701 gave me a headache every time I used them.

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #33 of 81
ok, so after forgetting I posted this while tired, and reading 4 pages of debate about "bass heavy" vs "refined bass" and jazz vs other genres, I can say, i officially <3 this board now

as far as genres I listen to, jazz (lol), trance, R&B, gabber, speedcore (yeah...), hip-hop, electronica/IDM, house/dance, and some rock etc (or to give some artists that characterize various aspects of music: John Coltrane, Nat King Cole, Michael Jackson, Komprex, Lupe Fiasco, Pilchard, Zombie Nation, Velvet Acid Christ, Nas, Cheap Trick, Frank Klepacki etc)

from what I've read, the general consensous sees the K701's as more neutral than the D2000's, and the D2000's as (/ducks) more "thumpy" than the K701s?

so I'm getting the feeling the D2000's would be great for one half of my library, and the K701's would be great for the other half? (its almost exactly 50/50 between hip-hop/rock and electronic music of varying degrees (from calm arabic trance all the way to speedcore))

is that roughly what I'm getting from this?

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #34 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have problem with the K701 as the pressure on my top of head makes me pain after wearing 15 minutes, due to the side plastic bar is a little bit too short.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...as a person who listens to songs and not genres I would rather have a phone that can do everything reasonably well, vs just one thing.

I agree with the "one phone that does everything would be nice". I think my re-cabled D2000 make a good everything can, and as my Ed 9 burn-in they may supplant them. But one of these days I'll have to try the 701's just for posterity sake.

Also, I am honored to be worthy of inclusion in your sig line
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
I threatened to make him turn in his earned scout badge for knife safety that he earned last year, then I realized he was willing to lose a finger to listen to new headphones, and I had to pat him on the back instead...

Here is a photo of the damage - he was disappointed that
it was only 5 stitches from trying to open the new headphones...

stitches.jpg

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so after forgetting I posted this while tired, and reading 4 pages of debate about "bass heavy" vs "refined bass" and jazz vs other genres, I can say, i officially <3 this board now

as far as genres I listen to, jazz (lol), trance, R&B, gabber, speedcore (yeah...), hip-hop, electronica/IDM, house/dance, and some rock etc (or to give some artists that characterize various aspects of music: John Coltrane, Nat King Cole, Michael Jackson, Komprex, Lupe Fiasco, Pilchard, Zombie Nation, Velvet Acid Christ, Nas, Cheap Trick, Frank Klepacki etc)

from what I've read, the general consensous sees the K701's as more neutral than the D2000's, and the D2000's as (/ducks) more "thumpy" than the K701s?

so I'm getting the feeling the D2000's would be great for one half of my library, and the K701's would be great for the other half? (its almost exactly 50/50 between hip-hop/rock and electronic music of varying degrees (from calm arabic trance all the way to speedcore))

According your favorite music types, I am sure K701 is not the suitable option for you while it is excellent in mid-treble. K701 comes with lighter but good defined bass which is not for your type of music.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

The D2000 bass does really clean up with several hundred hours of use, and a good APS silver with copper core cable.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #38 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bass heavy" evidently has nothing to do with extension and accuracy, oh exalted one. If you don't think big poppa has artificially pumped up bass (in the mix) then I don't see how we can talk about this. It doesn't matter where the EQ is added, it's still there, muddying up the works.

I'm not claiming to know anymore than anyone here, I'm just trying to figure this all out.
smily_headphones1.gif
To me bass heavy means that the bass has presence(there is a good amount of it in the mid and lower parts of the spectrum). It doesn't mean it is accurate, tight, controlled, or anything else. For example, the dt770's have plenty of bass but it is not the most accurate, tight, or controlled bass(haven't heard them, but this seems to be the case from posts here). I would call them "Bass heavy" as it is the only word I can think of to describe it. Correct me if there is a more accurate term.

Quote:

If you don't think big poppa has artificially pumped up bass (in the mix) then I don't see how we can talk about this. It doesn't matter where the EQ is added, it's still there, muddying up the works.

Yea, I agree that the bass on the song big poppa is bumped up---by the engineer. The song was meant to have hard hitting bass. It is my understanding that this is how the song was supposed to sound. I could be wrong, but I think that this is how a lot of rap/hip hop songs are engineered/produced but not all of them are muddy. So because a song like this cannot be accurately reproduced by the k701 is the EQ to blame? This is what I am trying to understand, because a top of the line can like the grado hp1000 can accurately reveal the track as well as maintaining tight and accurate bass.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

NO! The D2000 is the most neutral cans I own -- if a freq. is there, you will hear it -- NO part of FR is "pumped-up" or "over-emphasised" -- it just gives what is *already on* a recording, as it was meant to be heard.

I also use Grado RS-1, Darth Beyers, and other very good cans -- NONE of my stuff is low-quality -- maybe some peeps that hear weirdness in the D2000 are using them with equipment that doesn't deliver very good SQ to begin with.

And my K701 was too little bass, too little comfort, both -- that's why I don't have them anymore.

My D2000 is a keeper. Like my RS-1 and my Darths are keepers.
This is after going thru a LOT of very good cans over the years, and keeping only the ones that do the best job, and make music sound REAL.

Too many peeps are making SQ decisions with equipment that is not-that-great to begin with, and blame the cans for letting them hear the resulting low SQ that is already on some music, and/or played on some equipment, compounding the SQ results.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #40 of 81
And I mean slightly, about 10-20%. A 3-4dB boost in the 30-50 Hz region would make this the nearly ideal headphone if you are willing to EQ.

I base this observation comparing it to my home speakers playing live music. I have measured and EQ'ed my speakers/sub combination to be +/- 2dB down to 25Hz in my room (all acoustic suspension speakers and sub with very tight bass), and the balance of the K701 compared to my home system just sounds thinner. It's slightly brighter and doesn't have the impact that the home system does. As a comparison, my inexpensive ATH-CK7 earbuds manage to more closely approximate the balance of my speakers than my K701 as they have a lot more mid bass bloat (too much)

As a comparison, I think the Sennheiser HD600 has a better sense of impact in the bass than the K701, but it does sound a bit too polite in the highs which is a tradeoff I'm not willing to make. The Denons, from all my reading, seem to bridge the gap between the K701 and HD600/650 which is why it's on my shortlist to buy next.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #41 of 81
Which argues for a really good, audiophile quality equalizer. Has anyone got a good candidate? I prefer something analog in the chain, but would consider seriously a properly developed digital solution.

Dave

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #43 of 81
I'll say this...the k701s make me smile everytime I put them on...after 600hours-I really began to appreciate them. The Spacious soundstage...it's so wide, bass is perfect. I am not a salesman but I know what I like and
I'll say this...the k701s make me smile
everytime I put them on.

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #44 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll say this...the k701s make me smile everytime I put them on...after 600hours-I really began to appreciate them. The Spacious soundstage...it's so wide, bass is perfect. I am not a salesman but I know what I like and
I'll say this...the k701s make me smile
everytime I put them on.

You sure have a lot of cans for a Junior Head-Fier. Which ones are your favorite?

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

Which argues for a really good, audiophile quality equalizer. Has anyone got a good candidate? I prefer something analog in the chain, but would consider seriously a properly developed digital solution.

Dave

I used a very good equalizer for years -- then changed over to use another rig that was un-equalized for a while -- when I went back to my EQ'd rig, I realized that I had gradually changed the settings until the music sounded *awful!* compared to un-equalized.
Now, I leave the EQ out of the chain on ALL my different rigs, after hearing the monster I had created with EQ-ing.
Just my experience. I now just change cans if I want a different sound.
I will EQ no more forever....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back