Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000 will handle anything properly.

Movie and and gaming as well?
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Movie and and gaming as well?

Yes, and actually they perform better at this section.
Just watch "Saving Private Ryan" or play war games like COD4, you'll amaze with the explosion sound.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #66 of 81
Is there any other aspect besides punch/impact that makes the d2000 better for rock than the k701? What about electric guitar/vocal/instrumental timbres sounding right? I thought the k701 did these things better than the d2000s. What about speed? Isn't the k701 also a faster can???

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any other aspect besides punch/impact that makes the d2000 better for rock than the k701? What about electric guitar/vocal/instrumental timbres sounding right? I thought the k701 did these things better than the d2000s. What about speed? Isn't the k701 also a faster can???

dude i got both can's and i won't sell my k701 but d2000 is better for rock. I like them both but like the Dennon's more. The Dennon's do all the tones just right. I have been waiting to do the Markl mod but according to all the reviews, it takes it to a ever higher level. Worth checking out for sure.
cool.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #68 of 81
hmm, the question is why do you like them more? only because of the impact? I feel the need to ask this because there have been so many times that a can has been dubbed better for rock because of it's impact but for me is not as good because the first things I look for are tonal balance and instrument/vocal/drum realism of timbre

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #69 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, the question is why do you like them more? only because of the impact? I feel the need to ask this because there have been so many times that a can has been dubbed better for rock because of it's impact but for me is not as good because the first things I look for are tonal balance and instrument/vocal/drum realism of timbre

There is many things that makes them good with rock, especially the speed, it's nothing, no matter how fast it is that the D2000 can't handle, kick drums sounds very good. Because of the speed it's also easy for them to bring out the details in metal. The treble is crisp and has the right balance to make distorted guitars sound very good.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #70 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude i got both can's and i won't sell my k701 but d2000 is better for rock. I like them both but like the Dennon's more. The Dennon's do all the tones just right. I have been waiting to do the Markl mod but according to all the reviews, it takes it to a ever higher level. Worth checking out for sure.
cool.gif

Sounded very bad to my ears, the treble got to sibilant and the bass become to thin, it also sounded like some freqs become very recessed, I like them as they are.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #71 of 81
To my ears the D2000 does everything I need it to do to reproduce decent rock - speed, impact and my interpretation of accuracy.

Given that I listen to a lot of '80s rock, it is hard to judge whether any unrealistic instrument sounds are the flaws in the recording or in the reproduction by the cans.

The K701 is a much cleaner sound - even the huge crunching distortion of Zakk Wilde's guitar sounds a bit too nice. The D2000 dirties that sound up - like turning the overdrive up a couple of notches.

The only criticism I have, and have stated several times in other threads is that the D2000 don't seem to handle loud volumes too well. They start to sound - too loud. Like the sound is too big for the enclosures.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #73 of 81
you know, after so many hours of burn in, the bass has very nicely settled. I am not sure how many hours I have on them, I would guess about ~ 400, I really dont know. But about two weeks ago the bass completely changed, it just settled. Almost like it came that time in its life that it would abandon its rebel ways and just settle down with a wife (mids) and kids (highs).

It still there, but is no longer the dominating aspect of the sound. I am really quite happy with these cans.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #74 of 81
Just another observation regarding the D2000's. The D2000's soundstage is more compressed, more Grado-like. I think this is really due to the way it sits on my ears, there is one position that works for the D2000. With the the K701 I have to fiddle a lot with the cups which actually seems to change the soundstage and the overall sound.

The D2000 it is far more extended at both ends of the spectrum. I can finally hear the very deep bass that I can normally hear easily with my calibrated full range 5.1 speaker system. It's quite tight, I'm not really getting that overbearing bass some people report, it's not K701 tight, but then again I think the K701 needs a slight bass boost. The D2000 is sufficiently detailed that I have never loss the sense of pace in any music, even the hardest tracks I've thrown at it.

The D2000 isn't as refined as the K701 throughout the whole midrange. The K701's midrange sounds more cohesive and less resonant.

After playing with these two cans through most of my favorite music, I feel the D2000's win out on getting me emotional about my music again. I'm just amazed how right Denon got this headphone

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #75 of 81
ok

so i'm new to the haedphone thing....
regarding burn-in....

does it have to be done as a dedicated activity or could you just allow it to happen with time?

i picked up a pair of k701's about a week and a half ago and i dont mind their abilities straight out of the box. i usually listen through speakers but late at night, after bed time for others in my home, i love what they do as is. I look forward to any improving that might occur but can i just let it occur as time passes by or should i be letting them run while i sleep and work. is my willingness to let the sound age gracefully going to affect their ultimate state and signal quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back