AKG K701 Review Thread
Nov 29, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #211 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
AKG engineers minimize the contribute of so-called burn-in in their headphones. I think you better get a rest (not kidding, in the days I'm really tired my bass frequency percieving diminishes).

bye
Andrea

Well I'm tired pretty often at the evenings and I've never encountered this kind of situations. This is so weird. On saturday they sounded just great and now I can't even listen to them because they give me headache. The brightness, edginess and harshness is just unbrearable. They sound like some cheap stock earbuds.

Now once again 650s sound easily best of my headphones. They don't fatigue me a bit. Sound is silky smooth and the basses are great.

Is it possible that I've damaged my hearing somehow? That my ears have become ultrasensitive to highs or something? This is scary.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #212 of 380
The treshold of hearing for particular frequency can vary more than 10dB depending on day.

In addition, the agitation treshold can also vary from day to day, even when the hearing treshold stays the same. This is usually correlated to sound exposure (the more you are exposed, the more irritable you become, unless serious hearing damage already reduces the effect of irritation).

Also, pressure and mucous build-up in the nasal cavities (connected to the middle ear cavity) can significantly change the impedance of the middle ear.

All this means, that YES, sound most likely changes A LOT more due to our physiological day-to-day changes, than it does due to burn-in.

Burn-in effects (when real) have not been (afaik) reported to be in the order of +/-10dB in a particular frequency range. At least not for drivers that I've seen measured.

As such, one should imho always evaluate a piece of gear over a very long time or do only relative (not absolute) sound comparisons.

What does this have to do with the AGK K701 review thread?

I don't kow, but I've ordered my pair and will hopefully get them before x-mas to find out how good they really are
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #213 of 380
They still sound bright and harsh even after cable upgrade. It helped a little but not enough. I'll keep them burning in for some time and try then again.

I also decided to still keep my 650s. If the K701 won't sound what it used to sound anymore then 650s are the winners. I'll give K701 plenty of burn in time now and I really hope it helps.
rolleyes.gif

Is there anyone else who's had same kind of experiences than me? Or maybe it's just like halcyon wrote.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #214 of 380
Maybe time for rethinking the synergy (maybe even the absolute quality
eek.gif
) of your ESI Juli@, after all reported to be on the bright side by yourself IIRC...

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #215 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Maybe time for rethinking the synergy (maybe even the absolute quality
eek.gif
) of your ESI Juli@, after all reported to be on the bright side by yourself IIRC...

Maybe maybe... but if the brightness would've been there from the beginning I'd propably try to find the reason from my source also. But the brigthness just came there yesterday so that's what makes the situation weird.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #216 of 380
Have some rest, man.
Leaving those white cups working
tongue.gif
, burn-in them with your soundcard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
They still sound bright and harsh even after cable upgrade. It helped a little but not enough. I'll keep them burning in for some time and try then again.

I also decided to still keep my 650s. If the K701 won't sound what it used to sound anymore then 650s are the winners. I'll give K701 plenty of burn in time now and I really hope it helps.
rolleyes.gif

Is there anyone else who's had same kind of experiences than me? Or maybe it's just like halcyon wrote.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #217 of 380
Quote:

Maybe maybe... but if the brightness would've been there from the beginning I'd propably try to find the reason from my source also. But the brigthness just came there yesterday so that's what makes the situation weird.

Did you change anything (foobar2000 settings? music?) yesterday? I can not find that much difference from my K701s which are over 80 hours now.

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #218 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningwater
Did you change anything (foobar2000 settings? music?) yesterday? I can not find that much difference from my K701s which are over 80 hours now.

No. I just started to listen to them and the sound was what it was (and it still is).

Now when I'm thinking, I remember that I cleaned my ears with one of those cotton sticks (I don't know is that the right word) day before yesterday. There wasn't much wax in my ears though so I don't think that can cause so tremendous difference.

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #219 of 380
Quote:

No. I just started to listen to them and the sound was what it was (and it still is).

Now when I'm thinking, I remember that I cleaned my ears with one of those cotton sticks (I don't know is that the right word) day before yesterday. There wasn't much wax in my ears though so I don't think that can cause so tremendous difference.

Sometimes, it does help
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #221 of 380
Originally posted by Patu
Quote:

Did I miss something? What cable upgrade are you referring to? I was under the impression from everything I've read that no-one has figured out how to open these up yet, much less upgrade.

Thanks,
Greg

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #224 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
Originally posted by Patu

Did I miss something? What cable upgrade are you referring to?

I upgraded my interconnects.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #225 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I'm approaching the 100 hr burn-in mark and so far I am not impressed. The K701 won't replace the sweet-sounding mids of K501.

Hey, this is just what we've been waiting to hear about! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back