AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Nov 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #736 of 2,435
Quote:

Are you talking about that piece of cloth thing? Sorry if it's obvious but I just want to make sure. If so, would it be possible to put them back like normal?

No, don't touch that area. It's that round silver grill on the outside. It rotates left and pops off.

The results aren't that much different, but I was only curious if anyone found it made them a little bassier.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #737 of 2,435
Not really..just place a piece of tape or something over the silver inner grill and turn left. It pops right now so that it's exposed.
It's not really a mod, but just a test to see if people were hearing what I was. it sounds slightly better with the grill off.

The mids on the K601 seem much less forward than those of the Q701, but I'm sure people knew that. K601 is probably more balanced.
I was comparing them both tonight for fun..

BTW sounds weird, but I use a priority mail tag to remove the grills. No nasty adhesive and takes 2 seconds!

I scratched my grill previously using tiny scissors. Big mistake! I think they're plastic too!

I had a k701 before and scratched the grills with little scissors too, I feel your pain.
Roommate had some tape, I'll give it a try shortly

Edit: I always have trouble getting the grills off. Everyone describing the removal of these makes it sound trivial, just stick and twist. My experiences with the k701 and now the k601 are that it is quite hard to turn. I shall continue to attempt to remove the grills because I am interested in the effects this "mod" may have.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #738 of 2,435
Still think these are one of the best headphones ever made. I think they're the perfect alternative to the HD-600 and Q701. Everything I don't like about the HD-600 the K601 fixes. To my ears it sounds a little more clear and not just because it has more treble. Sure it's not as warm, but there is definitely a bit less treble than the Q701.

I think the imaging on the K601 also has the Q701 and HD-600 beat. I think the only reason it's imaging is better than the Q701 is due to the flat pads. I know that sounds stupid!

The HD-600 is definitely warmer and bassier, but not a big deal for me. The weird thing is that the Q701 sounds like it has more bass than the K601, but yet the K601 seems to be slightly warmer and have fuller sounding mids. At first I thought the K601 had more bass than the Q701, but now I don't think this is true. Maybe a tad more mid-bass? Doesn't seem like it.

I do like my HD-600 now, but it's mids for me are kind of lacking. I mean they're good, but not forward or recessed, but just kind of boring. Yeah, I like slightly forward mids. I don't really care if the HD-600 has "thicker" mids.

I've noticed that this headphone sure doesn't like any DAC or Amp that's NOT neutral. It hated my old Asgard and HRT MSII. Maybe those measure ruler flat, but they didn't sound that way. Maybe the Asgard just didn't have enough power for the K601. The HRT is ok with the K601, but I think the HRT is too forward sounding for the K601. The ODAC seems to love the K601. There's no really harsh peaks or anything with this setup now. If there is, it's really awful recordings. Even then it's not that bad.

BTW my pair is 19714 and made in Austria. I paid around $200 for it about 2 years ago I think. At one point I put it up for sale (stupidly) at such a ridiculously low price and nobody wanted it. How sad..that goes to show you how under-appreciated the K601 is. I actually think it's better than the K501 and K400. The K400 doesn't have enough bass for me. The K501 seems ok in that area.

I also think the K601 is a good alternative for those that require less treble than the Q701 and possibly a more balanced sound. The mids on the Q701 do seem a bit more forward sometimes. At least the upper mids. I actually think the K601 has more forward mids than the K702 though. The mids on the old K702 I had were quite thin/lean. Same setup and everything.

The K601 doesn't seem as clear or detailed as the Q701 though, but sometimes I just don't care.

Oh yeah, I think sometimes think the K601 must have some lower treble peak. With the ODAC it seems to rarely show up for me. At least I think it's in the lower treble area.

So anyone know for sure the K601 is discontinued? I don't think it is. Hope not.

I have to mention that the K601 gets my vote for possibly the #1 gaming headphone. Q701 is just as good if not better, but just a little bit different sounding. When gaming you can definitely notice the reduced bass on the K601 compared to the Q701. It's VERY noticeable in Fallout 3.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #739 of 2,435
Quote:
Still think these are one of the best headphones ever made. I think they're the perfect alternative to the HD-600 and Q701. Everything I don't like about the HD-600 the K601 fixes. To my ears it sounds a little more clear and not just because it has more treble. Sure it's not as warm, but there is definitely a bit less treble than the Q701.

I think the imaging on the K601 also has the Q701 and HD-600 beat. I think the only reason it's imaging is better than the Q701 is due to the flat pads. I know that sounds stupid!

The HD-600 is definitely warmer and bassier, but not a big deal for me. The weird thing is that the Q701 sounds like it has more bass than the K601, but yet the K601 seems to be slightly warmer and have fuller sounding mids. At first I thought the K601 had more bass than the Q701, but now I don't think this is true. Maybe a tad more mid-bass? Doesn't seem like it.

I do like my HD-600 now, but it's mids for me are kind of lacking. I mean they're good, but not forward or recessed, but just kind of boring. Yeah, I like slightly forward mids. I don't really care if the HD-600 has "thicker" mids.

I've noticed that this headphone sure doesn't like any DAC or Amp that's NOT neutral. It hated my old Asgard and HRT MSII. Maybe those measure ruler flat, but they didn't sound that way. Maybe the Asgard just didn't have enough power for the K601. The HRT is ok with the K601, but I think the HRT is too forward sounding for the K601. The ODAC seems to love the K601. There's no really harsh peaks or anything with this setup now. If there is, it's really awful recordings. Even then it's not that bad.

BTW my pair is 19714 and made in Austria. I paid around $200 for it about 2 years ago I think. At one point I put it up for sale (stupidly) at such a ridiculously low price and nobody wanted it. How sad..that goes to show you how under-appreciated the K601 is. I actually think it's better than the K501 and K400. The K400 doesn't have enough bass for me. The K501 seems ok in that area.

I also think the K601 is a good alternative for those that require less treble than the Q701 and possibly a more balanced sound. The mids on the Q701 do seem a bit more forward sometimes. At least the upper mids. I actually think the K601 has more forward mids than the K702 though. The mids on the old K702 I had were quite thin/lean. Same setup and everything.

The K601 doesn't seem as clear or detailed as the Q701 though, but sometimes I just don't care.

Oh yeah, I think sometimes think the K601 must have some lower treble peak. With the ODAC it seems to rarely show up for me. At least I think it's in the lower treble area.

So anyone know for sure the K601 is discontinued? I don't think it is. Hope not.

I have to mention that the K601 gets my vote for possibly the #1 gaming headphone. Q701 is just as good if not better, but just a little bit different sounding. When gaming you can definitely notice the reduced bass on the K601 compared to the Q701. It's VERY noticeable in Fallout 3.

how are the hd580 comparing to hd601

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #741 of 2,435
Sounds weird, but the Q701 with a Canare cable sounds very close to the K601
confused_face_2.gif

I think the Canare adds some additional warmth to the Q701.

I bet the Canare cable plus using the Q701 with an old PS1 (SCPH-1001) would make it sound like a K601 on steroids.
The PS1 is quite warm sounding and probably has rolled off treble.

K601 sounds a bit flatter in some parts. Mostly in the mids and treble. Yet it does have some slight peaks and I can't figure out where yet. Not enough to bother me.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #742 of 2,435
Thanks to this thread I am now the proud owner of a k601 and a gilmore lite!! Pretty pumped up about it.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #744 of 2,435
Yup, it is the one from the sale section here on the forum.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #745 of 2,435
Finally got the headphones and amp hooked up! For the first time I understand what imaging is! Very pleased with these. 

Now - some help! I am using foobar 2k->asio4all->fiio e10->gilmore lite->k601... Seems to me like the logical thing to upgrade is the DAC. Is there a DAC that people in this thread have really enjoyed with their Gilmore Lites (or similar) and the k601?

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #746 of 2,435
can't help u there, i have e7 and e9. i think u should consider the new upgrade from fiio that replaces the fiio e7 e9.

they ahve DROPPED PRICE since, so u can get the e7e9 too, would be upgrade from your e10 easily. but to utilize the gilmore, get at least like a 200$ up dac and that should get u going..

for akgs, i think dac matters way more than amps. i remmeber that was many people's idea as well. not sure tho. i definitely felt that is legit opinion if anyone says that to me. not a pro here, just my 2 cents

haven't had time to listen too much to k601 this month, but had been listening the past fall to k601 dedicately, gotta say trumps my k702 in terms of musicality. like, easily.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #747 of 2,435
Thanks - The obvious route with the Glite is just to get the pico dac, which I am very tempted to do... But there are a lot of choices out there so plenty to read through.

I was just listening to Paul Simon's Graceland and I was really impressed with the k601. Now, a little Eric Clapton unplugged... Also great!

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #748 of 2,435
Hey guys,

I wish I still had my K601... I do miss mine a lot.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #750 of 2,435
I am thinking of becoming an AKG K601 owner.  Where are these 'phones made currently--Austria or China?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back