AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Dec 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #766 of 2,435
I've always loved the K601, but for whatever reason it's changed a little depending on my DAC or Amp.

I remember on my Micro Amp and HRT MSII it was nice and warm sounding. It seemed to have some annoying peaks here and there in the upper mids and lower treble. I think now that it was the DAC making it a little worse. Very small differences though.

On my new ODAC this thing sounds much less warm (still fairly warm itself), but more like ruler flat. It's mids actually sound ruler flat. Treble is smooth. Bass is OK too, but I do feel the Q701 has a little bit more. No big deal.

Overall the K601 sounds flatter than the Q701.

I've said it before many times, but this is one of the best gaming headphones. It's imaging is perfect and the soundstage isn't too massive. You also don't get bombarded with excessive treble. Then the pads are a little more comfortable than those of the Q701, just due to not being angled.

It seems nobody knows for sure if it's really discontinued. I hope not.

Wish I had more time to listen to this. Right now it's mostly my HD-650, Q701 and DJ100.

Listening to them using an ODAC to Headroom Micro Amp. That amp seems just about perfect for every AKG IMO. Even the K501 and K400. It doesn't add any special coloration to them that I can detect though.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #767 of 2,435
Quote:
why do u think it is underrated exactly?  

Simply that not a lot of people seem to be using these, or recommending them over other headphones in their price range. Although the latter can be disregarded now that I can't find them in stock anywhere here in Norway and since they're gone from AKG's website. I still suspect they're discontinued. But of course you're right, it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you yourself are happy. I know I am.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #768 of 2,435
Quote:

Wish I had more time to listen to this. Right now it's mostly my HD-650, Q701 and DJ100.

How do you find the K601's compared to the HD650's? From what I've read they should be almost diametrically different? As I mentioned I'm looking at picking up a pair of HD650's just to try something new and different. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #769 of 2,435
I'm not an expert in headphones, but I always listened a lot of music and my home HiFi system is quite good.
I bought last week a pair of AKG K-601 and I like them a lot. They are very comfortable and I find them very accurate in reproducing some of my most beloved CDs. I will post a longer review after some burn-out and after my Heron amp will arrive.
Oh, they are made in China, ID 6920.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #770 of 2,435
Hi, my first post! After reading through your great forum, I've just ordered a used pair of K601, described in excellent conditions, with a fair 33% discount on the italian price (that is quite high I believe, even if we are so close to Austria, manufacturer's country).

I listen to almost every kind of music, electronic, rock, but also instrumental, progressive rock, some classical, male and female songwriters, pop... and I love to get lost between instruments and the complexity of tracks. So I believe that their right amount of analiticity-musicality will suit my taste well.

I just have to choose the right amp now, I'm really unsure about what to choose... I'm oriented toward a usb DAC/AMP, hopefully compatible also with my Samsung Galaxy S3. Galaxy S3 has I nice DAC itself I think (after using with Sennheiser and Brainwavz in-ear earbuds), but I think volume level will be too low with 120ohm impedance. I'm gonna study the forum in the next days, meanwhile, if there's some suggestion it will be really appreciated.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #772 of 2,435
Hello, everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried both the K601 and the K550?
I'd just like to know what kind of differences they have.

Also, is it true that the k601 is discontinued?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #773 of 2,435
Hello, everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried both the K601 and the K550?
I'd just like to know what kind of differences they have.

Also, is it true that the k601 is discontinued?

This is EXACTLY what I want to know too - how they compare sound-wise and how difficult they are to drive. I found a pair of both at the same price in my country...

Edit: And maybe even compare them to Superlux HD668B?

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #774 of 2,435
Quote:
This is EXACTLY what I want to know too - how they compare sound-wise and how difficult they are to drive. I found a pair of both at the same price in my country...

Edit: And maybe even compare them to Superlux HD668B?

IMHO not similar at all...

the K601 sounds not bad even though there are some strange peaks, but none as bad as the K701/2 and Q701.
Comfortable to wear, requires a decent amp and sometimes a bit of bass-boost or EQ in this area.
But despite some minor flaw, they are quite decent (there seems to be a tad of variation between K601 of different serial ranges)

The K550 only has good looks and comfortable pads. They only sound decent if you keep on pressing them to your ears. The headband is "okay" but more padding would be optimal.
I wouldn't pay more than 90€ for these cans... and should I ever pull the trigger on these cans, I'd heavily EQ them to get rid of the nasal sound and peaky treble. Also, I'd add an HD650 headpand-strip which is self-adhesive and bend the headband with some force to make the seal better. (also... I don't have a small head, these headphones were just designed poorly)

Did I mention that there is literally no dampening material at all inside the cups... (there should be, and If I had a pair I'd add some.)

The HD668B has a similar sound signature as the K550 but offer more body, a better soundstage, less ringing but doesn't isolate as good and the pads aren't as comfortable as the K550.

TL;DR
The K601 is decent. Either get them or none of these two.
Also, none of these are portable, which is okay, but I just wanted to inform you.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #775 of 2,435
IMHO not similar at all...

the K601 sounds not bad even though there are some strange peaks, but none as bad as the K701/2 and Q701.
Comfortable to wear, requires a decent amp and sometimes a bit of bass-boost or EQ in this area.
But despite some minor flaw, they are quite decent (there seems to be a tad of variation between K601 of different serial ranges)

The K550 only has good looks and comfortable pads. They only sound decent if you keep on pressing them to your ears. The headband is "okay" but more padding would be optimal.
I wouldn't pay more than 90€ for these cans... and should I ever pull the trigger on these cans, I'd heavily EQ them to get rid of the nasal sound and peaky treble. Also, I'd add an HD650 headpand-strip which is self-adhesive and bend the headband with some force to make the seal better. (also... I don't have a small head, these headphones were just designed poorly)

Did I mention that there is literally no dampening material at all inside the cups... (there should be, and If I had a pair I'd add some.)

The HD668B has a similar sound signature as the K550 but offer more body, a better soundstage, less ringing but doesn't isolate as good and the pads aren't as comfortable as the K550.

TL;DR
The K601 is decent. Either get them or none of these two.
Also, none of these are portable, which is okay, but I just wanted to inform you.

That's interesting... I already have the HD668B, but I wanted to know if K601/550 is an worthwhile upgrade to them...

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #776 of 2,435
Just some photos of my K601 
rolleyes.gif
However, selling them right now at the local forum, looking for a portable all-rounder instead

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #777 of 2,435
Im currently having hard time deciding whether to get a k601 or one of the 70x.  From what i gather the k601s are more musical due to their warmth.  I mainly listen to rock music (radiohead, deftones etc) basically bands with ambient sounds in their music and some fast heavier rock aswell.  I already own a grado 325is but i want a new set of headphones with a different sound signature.  Im looking for something comfortable and less fatiguing than the grados, something less engaging.  These akg headphones are really intriguing and im just wondering which would be best for my application.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #779 of 2,435
Quote:
Im currently having hard time deciding whether to get a k601 or one of the 70x.  From what i gather the k601s are more musical due to their warmth.  I mainly listen to rock music (radiohead, deftones etc) basically bands with ambient sounds in their music and some fast heavier rock aswell.  I already own a grado 325is but i want a new set of headphones with a different sound signature.  Im looking for something comfortable and less fatiguing than the grados, something less engaging.  These akg headphones are really intriguing and im just wondering which would be best for my application.

I own both the K601 and (woodied) 325is and I'd say the K601 fit your requirements pretty well.  I reach for them when listening to something that sounds too harsh/sibilant on my Grados, or if I want a nice wide soundstage.  They're discontinued now, unfortunately, so might be somewhat hard to track down, new at least.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #780 of 2,435
Just found a NIB pair of these K601 for sale. They are saying Made in Austria and quoting serial number [size=x-small]24580017[/size] on the back of the box. Does this sound right as I believe that they were made in china for the last couple years of production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back