AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jan 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #646 of 2,435
You mean the sale price for your broken pair?  I honestly have no idea. It depends how lucky you get.

If time isn't an issue the best thing to do just put an ad up on here for a little less than whatever used pairs normally go for and then drop the price a bit every week until you find a taker.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #647 of 2,435
The K601 will live!  I was going to replace them with some Sennheiser 598's but had 2nd thoughts.  I found someone to fix them and am going to have them recabled with dual entry.  It's cheaper to get them fixed then to buy a new set.  Plus I do really enjoy the sound on these.  I guess we will see how they turn out. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #648 of 2,435
On one hand I want to congratulate you....     
k701smile.gif

On the other, I despise dual entry....     
evil_smiley.gif

Single sided for life!     
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #649 of 2,435
Hello. Such a big tread. :) I also have a pair of AKG 601. But I think they have a weak bass. I know that they are open and dont wait a bass like a Denon AH-D2000 from them. But AKG 400, that I listened earlier have a more bass I think. Is this normal? Or I must warm them? They are not new, I bought them on Ebay. Thank you!
P.S. Dont punch me hard, ok?

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #650 of 2,435

Quote:
Hello. Such a big tread. :) I also have a pair of AKG 601. But I think they have a weak bass. I know that they are open and dont wait a bass like a Denon AH-D2000 from them. But AKG 400, that I listened earlier have a more bass I think. Is this normal? Or I must warm them? They are not new, I bought them on Ebay. Thank you!

The AKG K601 IMO have more bass than even the K702. I have the K400 and they're quite bass light, but variations between pairs could exist. They're almost at the point of NOT having enough for me, which is very rare. To my ears, this pair had less than the K601 with stock pads.

Maybe you used the K400 with K601 or K702 pads? This along with some foam seems to increase the bass a bit. I prefer the K400 with stock pads.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #651 of 2,435
No, AKG400 was with stock pads, I have taken them to listen about year ago. Do AKG601 need some warming to show their potential? I was a little dissapointed - I waiting them for a long time, at least buy them and such sound... Can't say anything about high and mids - they are very clear and airy.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #653 of 2,435

Quote:
The AKG K601 IMO have more bass than even the K702. I have the K400 and they're quite bass light, but variations between pairs could exist. They're almost at the point of NOT having enough for me, which is very rare. To my ears, this pair had less than the K601 with stock pads.

Maybe you used the K400 with K601 or K702 pads? This along with some foam seems to increase the bass a bit. I prefer the K400 with stock pads.

Made in Austria? or the "newer" made in China ones... and Serial, plz...

while I was switching from the K701 to the K601 after I got my Sextetts (hated the K701 lower treble and sqeeky mids) I was tempted and bought a new pair of K601... made in China.

From the description and reading in the forum I had the impression that the K601 are basically K701 with a tad less treble, less detail, less soundstage more bass (less deep though) and body and an overall a more neutral performance. (Sounds like a HD600 in my book)
The K701's bass was great IMHO, but the K601... was just wrong in every single way-> no bass, ok~ish mids and horrid lower treble.

Sold em after trying several amps of mine and friends... -> burn-in ... plenty (if it's real)

atm, I'm sitting with a pair of Sextetts and an old modded K140 which I both love... and feel like I'm missing out... the K701's soundstage and detail was impressive at first... and I thought the K601 was the overall rounder phone... until I hread them.

Could you guys please share your impression of the headphone compared to the K701 PLUS... if it's an Austrian or China model.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #654 of 2,435
Quote:
Why do you hate dual entry?  I have never had it besides on IEM's.  Do the wires get in the way or something else?

I think it just gets in the way and doesn't do anything useful for the trouble.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #655 of 2,435
I wonder if there's really a significant difference between those with earlier SN made in Austria vs. those made in China.  To me this seems like an all-too-convenient explanation for "damn I don't actually like these headphones" among those who got a China version, though of course it's possible for there to be some difference here.

In full disclosure, mine was (lightly) used when I got it--now much more heavily used ofc 
smile_phones.gif
--made in Austria.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #656 of 2,435
I'm pretty sure that mine's made in China and seems fine to me.  I've never compared it to an Austrian made one though.

I'll double check when I get the chance.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #657 of 2,435

the k601 defiantly has good amount of bass and very good bass extension. they have better bass extension compared to the k701/702 and better midrange. just little relaxed on the top-end a bit in my opinion but just a bit. removing the foam disc inside though will bring out the top-end more though but can be sharp sounding with lot of stuff if you are very sensitive to treble to air response. while i do enjoy mine a lot i still prefer my balanced 240 sextetts lp and balanced 240DF running off of speaker outputs over the k601 due to better clarity and imaging with my sextetts and DF's. my k601 is mainly ipod duty most of the time nowadays.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #658 of 2,435

Quote:
I wonder if there's really a significant difference between those with earlier SN made in Austria vs. those made in China.  To me this seems like an all-too-convenient explanation for "damn I don't actually like these headphones" among those who got a China version, though of course it's possible for there to be some difference here.

In full disclosure, mine was (lightly) used when I got it--now much more heavily used ofc 
smile_phones.gif
--made in Austria.

:) May be I am simply dont like this headphones, but I know what AKG sound is - thanks to AKG400. And I waited a cooler sound from AKG601. Seller told me that this headphones made in Austria, not in China. And this was one of reasons why I bouhgt them. :) They got this text on cups - Made in Austria. I don't have any paperwork for them. Is serial anyware on phones?
Opinion that my AKG601 have weak bass is not only mine - my friends tells me this so, and I didnt tell them anything about my impressions before their listening.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #659 of 2,435
i don't think it being made in china has anything to do with it. my pair says made in china but they defiantly don't lack bass impact or extension. since you bought them used it can be possible the original owner took the thick foam disc out that was covering the driver. the pads come off easily and so forth so it's an easy check. the foam disc over the filters around the driver is what will affect it's given overall sound.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #660 of 2,435
Indeed, a lack of foam discs would tip the sound a little in the treble's favour. You can also play around with thicker foam discs to tweak the sound slightly (I acquired some new foam discs, and they are considerably less dense than the originals - they let a lot of light through in comparison). I also have K701 pads, and they affect the sound too; combine them with thicker foam discs and you should be able to bring out a bit of bass and take a little edge off treble compared to K601 pads with no / thin foam disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back