AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jul 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #362 of 2,435
Anything powerful IMO. The K601 sings even with a stock Bravo V2 12AU7. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #364 of 2,435
Got my k601 delivered by the FedEx man this morning. Strange thing listening to them. I'm getting serious nostalgia from my k240. The sound sigs just take me back to my earlier times. It's just a little clearer, cleaner, and soundstage! Really excited to see how these guys burn in.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #366 of 2,435

Quote:
after more burn in, i really am liking these.  They sound like what I was hoping the k702 would sound like. So very warm and so detailed.

Nice to see you are enjoying them.  I am rather fond of mine.

You have quite a collection!  Once they are burned-in, I would be interested to hear how they rate against some of your other phones, particularly the hd650, hf2 and 780.

Good luck with the recable; I hear it's tricky with these.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #367 of 2,435

Quote:

You have quite a collection!  Once they are burned-in, I would be interested to hear how they rate against some of your other phones, particularly the hd650, hf2 and 780.

If I happen to forget to post a comparison shoot me a PM, and I would really like to do one. I think they are all very different headphones, with unique qualities.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #369 of 2,435
I've had my pair of K601's now for about a year and am largely pretty pleased with the clarity and large soundstage these headphones can deliver, but have always found bass a tad lacking.

As an experiment, I plugged the K601's into a Sony portable minidisc player and boosted the bass as far as possible to see if I could bring out the bass that the headphones were holding back.

The results were pretty interesting, I was surprised at how low the bass will go when 'forced' to on these phones, they produced bass guitar and bass drums way deeper than a pair of Grado SR-60's (not really a great comparison), and was controlled up until the maximum (bass 2) where the sound was a bit boomy, although this may be due to headphone out/software bass boost rather than a limitation on the 601's.

So the great controlled bass reproduction that the 601's are good at can go very low if pushed, maybe this is why they partner better with headphone amps that have a low end sound signature.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #370 of 2,435

Quote:
Lazy to backread but can you fine gentleman direct me one of the best amps to power the k601? looking for an amp with decent price no need for an elite expensive amplifier

I really enjoyed the Travagan's Red with AD743 opamps. Don't let the amp's size deceive you, it's a powerful little sucker.

Also, I should note that I enjoyed this combination more than my EF5/K601 combo where the EF5 clearly has more power.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #371 of 2,435
Quote:

Though once properly amped the K601's shine like nobodys business.

Thinking of joining the crowd. Need to budget in an amp. What are a couple good SS desk top matches up to $220?

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #372 of 2,435
I've been giving my K601 a bit of head time recently.  I'd forgotten how good they sound running through my EMU0404 into my LDMkII.
My flatmate has a brand new cable on his HD580 so I've been comparing them a bit and the sennheisers sound muffled and drowned in mids to my ears.

RedHorn:  I can't comment on SS amps but the Little Dot tube amp I have drives them deliciously.  It cost me about $100aud second hand over a year ago so I'm sure for $220 you could probably get a higher end Little Dot amp that would do nicely.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #373 of 2,435
Quote:

I can't comment on SS amps but the Little Dot tube amp I have drives them deliciously.  It cost me about $100aud second hand over a year ago so I'm sure for $220 you could probably get a higher end Little Dot amp that would do nicely.

Those Dot's have caught my eyes. Guess a little intimidated by the whole tube concept (bias, replacement, rolling, etc...) Any idea which model would mate best? My usical tastes are very demanding.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #374 of 2,435
No idea which one would go best with the K601.  I haven't got around to doing any tube rolling myself yet, still running the stock chinese tubes that came with it. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #375 of 2,435
Quote:

you could probably get a higher end Little Dot amp that would do nicely.

I contacted David and he steered me toward the I+ because the low impedance on the 601's (which I just found a demo pair and ordered). I know little about the OP amps and tubes but saw that the BB2107 / WE408A was touted as being a versatile and highly satisfying combo. I have almost no desire to open cases myself.

-Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back