AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Oct 1, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,402 of 2,435
I've been using 612 Pros for almost a year now for my PC audio needs (gaming, music and various media), and I'm pretty satisfied with how they perform for the most part considering I got them for $100. Although I have to say, my setup is far from being ideal for driving these as I don't use any external DAC or amplifier. I have them connected to the 3.5mm jack on the back of my ASUS Z270 Prime-A motherboard, which from what I've managed to find out has a pretty decent built-in DAC.

Pretty much the only issue I have with my setup is that even having applied Crinacle parametric EQ (the most pleasant and natural sounding to me), there is not enough "body" to the sound, bass is pretty anemic. I understand that this is due to the open-back nature of the phones, but having no experience with any other open-back headphones I wonder if in the case of K612 Pro it also has to do with quality of an amplifier.

I've been looking for amps online and due to my limited budget I've stopped at Liquid Spark since it's just around the upper limit of what I can spend. It has nice reviews and is generally recommended for hard to drive headphones as far as I understand. So with all that said I have a couple of questions.

1) How likely is it that Liquid Spark provides richer (with more bass) sound compared to the built-in amp?

2) If it does noticeably improve the sound, what is the proper way to add an external amp like Liquid Spark to my aforementioned setup considering that I'm a heavy user of virtual surround software (HeSuVi)? Is it even compatible with that? Sorry if this is too complicated of a question.
So is your budget $110 for both DAC and amp? If so, you might want to look at something like the Tempotec Sonata E44 via AliExpress when it comes back into stock.

If you can afford $200 for the combo, look at the Schiit Magni 3+ for $99 as an amp, and any of the Modi 3+, Topping E30, or Atom DAC+ to go with it.

Your software should be fine with the DAC.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,404 of 2,435
So is your budget $110 for both DAC and amp? If so, you might want to look at something like the Tempotec Sonata E44 via AliExpress when it comes back into stock.

If you can afford $200 for the combo, look at the Schiit Magni 3+ for $99 as an amp, and any of the Modi 3+, Topping E30, or Atom DAC+ to go with it.

Your software should be fine with the DAC.
Thank you for the recommendations. I think I will hold off buying this stuff for now.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,405 of 2,435
These are the headphones that scales the most of all cans I have tried, from really crappy with lesser gear to absolutely marvelous with a reasonably powerful amp. If driven right they have a silly wide soundstage and lots of air between instruments, and very low distortion. They go very deep in the bass but the mid bass lacks a little slam which can be fully cured by a few db extra around 80Hz which will make them almost pop monsters.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2,406 of 2,435
These are the headphones that scales the most of all cans I have tried, from really crappy with lesser gear to absolutely marvelous with a reasonably powerful amp. If driven right they have a silly wide soundstage and lots of air between instruments, and very low distortion. They go very deep in the bass but the mid bass lacks a little slam which can be fully cured by a few db extra around 80Hz which will make them almost pop monsters.
Do you think Magni 3 is the best choice for them in the $100 price point (for the amp alone) as well?

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #2,407 of 2,435
Do you think Magni 3 is the best choice for them in the $100 price point (for the amp alone) as well?

Never heard the Magni, but as long as it puts out the power it should be fine, it's with the weak outputs on PC:s and consumer audio gear there's problems

Nov 10, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,409 of 2,435
The cheapest K240 has detachable cable but pre-top K612 hasn't. That's strange.

It's labeled "pro" but it's a cheap construction, K712 is essentially the same can with some tweaks and has a detachable cable, but it's 100€ more expensive.

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2,411 of 2,435
And K240 50EUR cheaper and has detachable. It seem like it is not such an expensive feature.

K240 is a almost 50 year old construction, some things are great about it but K612 sounds a lot better, if cable is a dealbreaker K712 it is

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,415 of 2,435
I don’t own either, but just stopped in to say these two cans are truly timeless classics, right up there with the best of the K7__ line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back