AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Sep 9, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #2,416 of 2,435
So i bought a pair of 612 pros by chance bnew. I have to say they need power... But they seem to play incredibly well off my cayin n8 on low gain @ 70ish volume (depending on the dynamic range of the song). Quite holographic and the bass, i was not expecting them to be this thumpy. They have better end to end extension than the hd600 and drier sounding, which is a personal guilty pleasure for me, all in all pretty impressive stuff for its price.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #2,417 of 2,435
Was a long time since I had K240(once had the sextett) so I bought a pair of brand new Chinese K240 Studio, wow are they hard to drive I can see why some thinks they're not good. Thankfully my Yamaha Aventage receiver has no problems driving these to insane levels. They sound fantastic on progressive rock, and the very tight bass is actually a pro here, complex music gets destroyed with too much rumble. There is plenty of bass, but it is dry AF - me like!
Treble has insane high resolution and exactly the right amount, cymbals sounds awesome and retain their metallic feel being metallic instruments. These are very good cans by all standards, but requires even more amp than the K612.

K612 has a bigger soundstage, and more energy in the deep bass, but that's about it. K240 actually has way better treble and upper mids. K612 can sound harsh without curve adjustments. Not K240, smooth as silk. They compliment each other well.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #2,418 of 2,435
Was a long time since I had K240(once had the sextett) so I bought a pair of brand new Chinese K240 Studio, wow are they hard to drive I can see why some thinks they're not good. Thankfully my Yamaha Aventage receiver has no problems driving these to insane levels. They sound fantastic on progressive rock, and the very tight bass is actually a pro here, complex music gets destroyed with too much rumble. There is plenty of bass, but it is dry AF - me like!
Treble has insane high resolution and exactly the right amount, cymbals sounds awesome and retain their metallic feel being metallic instruments. These are very good cans by all standards, but requires even more amp than the K612.

K612 has a bigger soundstage, and more energy in the deep bass, but that's about it. K240 actually has way better treble and upper mids. K612 can sound harsh without curve adjustments. Not K240, smooth as silk. They compliment each other well.
Honestly the K240 Studio is quite underrated and is dirt cheap, it's not perfect, but it's mids and treble (can have a bite on lesser systems though) are just like silk and it's so musical. That's what I felt the K6 and K7 series is missing compared to the K240's, the musicality.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #2,419 of 2,435
Hello everonye,

I got K601 recently by a nice offer. The headphoens require pads and foam replacement. Which pads do you recpommend? I liked that stock tuning, but I would like a bit more subbass. For now I slightly EQ'd this low end but maybe there is a chance to Improve it by some replacement parts.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #2,420 of 2,435
AKG K612 Pro. Looking for the mids for USD95.
Detailing is slightly less compared to K701 and K712, but a crazy scene, the sound is literally all around you. They sound best at low volumes: deep bass, excellent treble, and of course, fantastic mids.

Attachments

• photo_2022-12-18_14-06-23.jpg
    photo_2022-12-18_14-06-23.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #2,424 of 2,435
Can I use AKG K612 PRO on the balanced output of Fiio BTR7?

Do you have an adapter recommendation for this?
Please dont. That will damage both your headphones and your receiver.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #2,425 of 2,435
Can I use AKG K612 PRO on the balanced output of Fiio BTR7?

Do you have an adapter recommendation for this?
If you want the extra power, if you somehow reduce from double to single, your power will just reduce as well. I do have a 4.4 double to 3.5 single adapter that does work very well, plugged into a single end socket. But this is the reverse, and I'd take Nickleco's advice.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #2,427 of 2,435
This is my raw impressions of this headphone that I felt like writing up after some months of indecision over what to plug into my DAC. It mostly summarizes my emotional journey of tossing these into storage and then pulling them back out for good. I apologize for the lack of structure.

I picked up a pair of these akg k612 pro some time ago and mostly had not used them as I was not impressed.
I wanted a cheaper, but good NEUTRAL headphone to replace some old Shure SRH440 headphones that was all taped and glued together had finally fallen apart for the last time. Something about the SRH440 - to me they sounded good/clear/neutral and could be folded up, but they break easily. The akg k612 pro was good and neutral, but maybe too good and I wanted to use them instead of my Grado SR325i (with the stiff/cracking cables that I ended up replacing).
...And then I wanted to compare them... and they seemed to lack quite a bit on various fronts. However, they are a bit more comfortable and actually kill some background noise. But into storage they went, until I ended up doing a break-in and the break-in helped!

I'm using and old Ibasso Anaconda D12 DAC (found that flipping the gain switch on gives it sufficient power) and Deadbeef audio player (linux user) or USB audio player in bitperfect mode. Files are 24bit FLAC and I'll often download a properly done vinyl rip with huge files.

So breaking them in helped. For me, they ended up sounding less muffled and I got a little more separation and soundstage improvement.
Still, I find that the Grados have a better sound and and they are my go-to when I don't want to break out my multi-driver IEMs (which I don't think an open backed single driver over ear headphone can compete with).
I think vocals and instrument separation are a bit better with the Grados. I also feel like the soundstage is wider.
I'll put on some Lana Del Rey and with the Grados I feel like I'm there in the room with the band standing a few feet from the vocalist, instruments are clearly separated. When I first got the Grados those vocals were a bit too pronounced and vocalist was singing in my ear (rude), but they broke in and now they're perfect.
Wearing the akg k612 pro it just seems like the vocals and instruments just lack a little bit of definition that I cannot unhear.
Other than that, they're fantastic!

I guess after reading some reviews I was expecting a little too much for this price point, but still I'm a big fan of these headphones. Especially for the price!! I can leave them on my desk and not feel like I'm not committing some crime against hifi.

I'll continue to break them and update this if anything changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back