AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jan 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,816 of 2,435
  Hello,

I bought K612 two weeks ago and now they are burned in and they sound very natural nad open. I drive it on my notebook, yamaha reciever ar pioneer amp. No crazy ear destroying bass, but a clean one. Mids and highs - great! AKG  - you made a great Overear open headphone!

612 probably is one of the best in terms of "natural and open". OTOH, a decent DAC  will bring it to another level, since it is not quite suitable for mobile device anyway.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,817 of 2,435
  im thinking to get the k612 pro do you think it can be powered by and asus xonar u7 and get good volume?
is it worth to get the 612pro for music like edm/ and pop/rock?

I have had the K612 PRO for 2 weeks and plugged them directly into the Xonar U7. The U7 seems to provide enough volume to the K612 PRO, at high gain 70% Windows volume I think it's loud enough.
In some songs I listen to they tend to produce ear-piercing treble, otherwise I quite like the sound signature of these headphones
I probably should get an amp but I don't know how much I must spend to get more out of them lol.

The songs I had trouble with are pop/rock.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,819 of 2,435
There is no doubt that these headphones drastically change in sound just by changing source equipment. I am still using my Racoon SG300 tube AMP DAC combo to drive mine. However, I am now not using the DAC in the Racoon now. I now have it as just my amp, and I am using the DAC in my HT OMEGA Claro Plus sound card. As I am sure some here know, the Claro Plus has 4 of the AK4396VF 2 channel DACs for the total 8 channels. I have to say, the sound is completely different when using the K612 Pro with the Claro Plus and Racoon amp combo.

First off, there is a just a tad less bass. It is not massively less though. I just EQ up a bit to get it just right. In the mids, the combination of using just the Racoon amp section along with that DAC results in something I was not expecting. It actually makes the mids too forward at the default EQ. Not only does the well known 2K bump get more emphasis, but the 500 Hz and the 1K region also become more forward. I need to EQ that entire region down a bit. Now, on to the treble detail. It greatly improves with this combo. The upper frequencies just offers a crispness that is just not there when just using the Racoon amp dac combo on its own. Soundstage with the Claro Plus/Racoon combo is also far more spacious and widened. I can hear details in the music which were just not there before. After a slight bit of EQ action in the Claro Plus software EQ, this is just giving me a more satisfying audio experience.

30 Hz @ +1
60 Hz @ +1
500 Hz @ -1
1 kHz @ -1
2 kHz @ -2
8 kHz @ +1
16 kHz @ +1

Edit: Hello to everyone here as well. I apologize for such a delay in coming back to the forum. I have been away for quite a bit. I will be sure to post again more regularly.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,821 of 2,435
Hey Shineonyou, how do you like the K612 whilst listening to vinyl?  How is the reproduction? Does the phone accentuate the imperfections/surface noise?

I don't know what he thinks,but I just listened through Moody Blues "The Present" on vinyl and it was very enjoyable

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,822 of 2,435
Contrary to advice elsewhere, I just bought some Grado SR80e's for a very resonable price with the intention of selling them on at a small loss (or if I'm lucky, break even!) if I don't like them or find that they don't suit my set up.  If it doesn't work out with them, I'll try the AKG K612.  How do you find the 612's with pops and clicks or general surface noise when listening to vinyl?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,823 of 2,435
More findings: on some bass congested albums like Lorde "Royals" or Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" so is the end result arguably more enjoyable than even the HD600!

The HD600 sounds flabby or undefined(in the bass) and too bass heavy on those albums, while the K612 Pro:s projects perfectly well defined bass lines through both albums, and the bass doesn't leak into the midrange at all. Impressive.

I still think HD600 sounds more vibrant and with more ambience around instruments(not the same as soundstage). But I also think the K612 Pro has more overall control on what goes on in the recording, and that may sound a little dull at first, but it is greatly appreciated on challenging recordings(like those above). As long as the amp is up to the task.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,824 of 2,435
You need a better headamp if HD600 sounds flabby and its bass intrudes into the midrange when the headphone barely has any extra bass than is accurate.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,826 of 2,435
My left ear cup is a little wonky on my k601. The sound goes in and out. I assume some cable is a little loose. I've read the threads on the recabling but I'm a bit nervous to do it... Any recommendations on where to get it fixed?

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,827 of 2,435
Just a warning...the 601's I  bought last year are made very poorly.
The left speaker just stopped working one day...and nothing traumatic happened to em'
Apparently the wire disconnecting is a common problem as already reported here.

I sent them to get repaired and when they came back and lasted only two sessions.
So they're back at the repair shop.

With all the HPs I've owned over 30 years this has never happened before...not even on a $25.00 HP.
I don't think I'll EVER buy an AKG again with a fixed cord.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,828 of 2,435
I'm interested in getting a new jack on them... I've seen it done.

Who did your work? Akg?

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,829 of 2,435
You might only need a little re-soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back