AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Oct 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,621 of 2,435
My little dot mkiii works great with the K612, plenty of power and can be used as a preamp but cannot power speakers without an external amp. It does pair really well with this headphone though. Maybe LD makes another product that would work for you.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,622 of 2,435
  Looking for a good Dac/Amp combo for my K601's that has a pre-amp. Looking for something that will connect via USB and have Out to powered speakers and cuts the sound to speakers when you plug headphones in. Possibly something similar to a Nuforce UDAC3 but beefier. Not sure if the UDAC 3 would drive headphones well or not. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

You might find a used NFB-11.32 or NFB-15.32 for a decent price.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,623 of 2,435
  Looking for a good Dac/Amp combo for my K601's that has a pre-amp. Looking for something that will connect via USB and have Out to powered speakers and cuts the sound to speakers when you plug headphones in. Possibly something similar to a Nuforce UDAC3 but beefier. Not sure if the UDAC 3 would drive headphones well or not. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Well I can tell you that a Nuforce HDP (which is much more powerful than Udac) barely has enough juice for K612's and with some silent recordings, like binaural stuff, sometimes not enough volume.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,624 of 2,435
  These headphones are definitely not very forgiving on compressed music. I have tested the same album side by side at 192kbps, 320kbps, and then a FLAC rip of it.The difference in sound was blatantly obvious, and totally easy to detect. On Saturday I will be testing out the K612 with the xDuoo TA-03 a customer owns and uses with his K712. I am wondering about the differences I will hear compared to my Racoon SG300. It should be an interesting test. I must have about 60 hours on these headphones now. I have noticed yesterday and today that the treble has actually softened again. I am now actually finding it just a bit too soft in the upper treble. After I hit that 8-12 hour break in period, the sound had settled into what I thought would be its permanent signature. However, it has now changed again. This new change happened probably at around 50 hours, maybe a bit more. I have now ended up giving a small bump to the 12 kHz to 16 kHz region by +1 on my EQ to give it a little more sparkle. There is no doubt that headphone break in does exist with these headphones. This is now the EQ I am using with Equalizer APO, and Peter's GUI EQ add on. I hope everyone is happy with their pair.

42 Hz @ +1
55 Hz @ +1
77 Hz @ +1
2 Khz @ -3
12 KHz @ +1
16 KHz @ +1

How are you creating your mp3's?  Because a properly ripped 320 kbps mp3 should be virtually indistinguishable from a FLAC.  I mean, I can't tell a difference between a 24/192 hi-res file and a 320 mp3 made out of that 24 bit file on Beyerdynamic T1's plugged into a 2000 dollar DAC/amp. I'm talking about ABX testing in Foobar...in 99% of cases can't even notice the slightest difference. Only with some extreme examples there might be tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny differences in smoothness and dynamics, but that might be placebo, because I've never actually managed to score well in a ABX test, and I have extremely good hearing, I hear channel imbalances down to a difference of 1 db, had several pieces of equipment replace because of that, but only after the manufacturer tested them, trough hearing alone they didn't hear problems, I did in like 5 seconds after trying it.  I think what you mean by K612's not being good for compressed recordings is that they're not good for badly mastered and badly recorded stuff, or badly ripped files. There are big differences between two mp3 files if one is well done and other badly done.  Format plays much less of a role in the whole story, as long as it's a properly ripped 320 kbps mp3 of highest quality, or any kind of FLAC.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,625 of 2,435

How are you creating your mp3's?  Because a properly ripped 320 kbps mp3 should be virtually indistinguishable from a FLAC.  I mean, I can't tell a difference between a 24/192 hi-res file and a 320 mp3 made out of that 24 bit file on Beyerdynamic T1's plugged into a 2000 dollar DAC/amp. I'm talking about ABX testing in Foobar...in 99% of cases can't even notice the slightest difference. Only with some extreme examples there might be tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny differences in smoothness and dynamics, but that might be placebo, because I've never actually managed to score well in a ABX test, and I have extremely good hearing, I hear channel imbalances down to a difference of 1 db, had several pieces of equipment replace because of that, but only after the manufacturer tested them, trough hearing alone they didn't hear problems, I did in like 5 seconds after trying it.  I think what you mean by K612's not being good for compressed recordings is that they're not good for badly mastered and badly recorded stuff, or badly ripped files. There are big differences between two mp3 files if one is well done and other badly done.  Format plays much less of a role in the whole story, as long as it's a properly ripped 320 kbps mp3 of highest quality, or any kind of FLAC.

A few years ago a friend thought I was just imaging it. We ended up doing blind tests with the same tracks. We did about 10 different attempts, and I was able to tell the difference between the 320kbps MP3 and the FLAC during all 10 tests. I don't really know why, but for some reason I have an extremely fine tuned ear. I can always hear the difference.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,626 of 2,435
+1 for me on this

I ripped some discs mp3 320kbps and also ripped them to another drive with wma lossless and I immediately heard a difference. I ended up deleting the mp3 files.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,627 of 2,435
  +1 for me on this

I ripped some discs mp3 320kbps and also ripped them to another drive with wma lossless and I immediately heard a difference. I ended up deleting the mp3 files.

Hey CADCAM,

Did you happen to try my EQ set with the K612 ? Since you have a good ear as well, I would imagine you will probably enjoy it as I do. I am currently using the following set.

42 Hz @ +1
55 Hz @ +1
77 Hz @ +1
2 Khz @ -3
12 KHz @ +1
16 KHz @ +1

This sounds great to me, and is quite musical with a slight lower bass warmth.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,628 of 2,435
Just bit the bullet after resoldering my beloved k141's for the nth time...a pair of k271 mkII....hope they sound as sweet! The k612's even through headphone amps are just to clinical for me...around 1200 nok with shipping or usd 181.....(25% VAT or sales tax). Damn hope they are ok! The lack of removable cable on the k612's and necessity of headphone amps are almost a deal.-breaker for me. Yeah they're really friggin clean...but not warm! Maybe just need to go to china or taobao and get me one of those tube headphone amps! But doing A/B of those cans...well it's not all in the amps!

Was also tempted to get a pair of surround/gaming cans! (Do 3d stuff in maya etc!)... any recommendations? Can't have too many cans! My dog**** TDK's just died on me...

Edit:  on k612's thru a v-can pre-amp...soundcard? just from the motherboard (asus z9pe-d8 ws)...but don't really see the point in buying a soundcard...the chip in there is more than good enough...more important would be getting good quality audio in instead of youtube or spotify...

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,629 of 2,435
I agree, K601, like all the open-back AKG's, has a phenomenal soundstage, bested only by other AKG's, and the Sennheiser HD-800's

And they have a kind, pleasant sound. Reference quality, with just a slight bit more softness in the low end and treble when compared to other uprange AKG's. Mids are still perfect, like all high end AKG's

All in all, a truly impeccable phone, and downright insane bargain compared to what others pay so much for here on head-Fi

I think the K601 is pretty underrated.

I also have the DT880, and at times, I prefer the K601. The supposed "weakness" of the K601 is that it doesn't quite resolve the highs as well as phones like the K701 and the DT880. For some music, that's actually a plus, because at times the DT880 can get a little loud/shrill in the highs for me - causing me to turn down the volume.

I think the soundstage in the K601 is pretty expansive, too.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,630 of 2,435
A few years ago a friend thought I was just imaging it. We ended up doing blind tests with the same tracks. We did about 10 different attempts, and I was able to tell the difference between the 320kbps MP3 and the FLAC during all 10 tests. I don't really know why, but for some reason I have an extremely fine tuned ear. I can always hear the difference.
Most common people can actually hear those differences, when It's given to them on a clear, pristine headphone, like the 601 (haven't yet listened to the 612), but alas, most of the world uses stock iphone earbuds, or even worse, stock android earbuds, or some skull candy trash lol

So the difference between 320kbps and original source material won't be as perceptible just off GP, for those not using truly high end reference phones.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #1,631 of 2,435
you guys need to do the ABX testing the proper way...  here you go, this video might help some of you.

well.. most of the people can't distinguish the difference even with the highest end audiophile gear. if you can do the above ABX testing and guess it 100% without even a slight hesitation, then we might have a winner. (at least try to guess 80%+ accuracy)

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,632 of 2,435
Most common people can actually hear those differences, when It's given to them on a clear, pristine headphone, like the 601 (haven't yet listened to the 612), but alas, most of the world uses stock iphone earbuds, or even worse, stock android earbuds, or some skull candy trash lol

So the difference between 320kbps and original source material won't be as perceptible just off GP, for those not using truly high end reference phones.

I would have to say that most people can't tell the difference. Many people who buy and use garbage headphones are not even capable of recognizing quality sound when they hear it. They will say "ohhhh where is the bass" because they are used to listening to garbage beats headphones, They think that is how music should sound. On the headphones I own, and on my high end stereo system, no one I know is able to tell the difference besides me between 320kbps MP3 and FLAC.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,633 of 2,435

Hey CADCAM,

Did you happen to try my EQ set with the K612 ? Since you have a good ear as well, I would imagine you will probably enjoy it as I do. I am currently using the following set.

42 Hz @ +1
55 Hz @ +1
77 Hz @ +1
2 Khz @ -3
12 KHz @ +1
16 KHz @ +1

This sounds great to me, and is quite musical with a slight lower bass warmth.

I have a "real" physical eq which I incorporated into my headphone setup and made the adjustment as close as I could to your suggestions. I would say it improved the overall experience and I have kept them set per your suggestions. I believe you are using a software based eq while listening out of your computer correct?

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,634 of 2,435
  I have a "real" physical eq which I incorporated into my headphone setup and made the adjustment as close as I could to your suggestions. I would say it improved the overall experience and I have kept them set per your suggestions. I believe you are using a software based eq while listening out of your computer correct?

Yes, I am using Equalizer APO with Peter's Peace Equalizer GUI add on.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,635 of 2,435

Yes, I am using Equalizer APO with Peter's Peace Equalizer GUI add on.

Yea I have no good setup right now for listening to music from a computer. I do have an external HD that I ripped some music to and can connect to my Oppo to listen with but to tell you the truth I like the sound of a real CD...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back