AKG K550 vs Some others (denon d2000, akg k271, ultrasone edition 8, shure 940, shure 840, beyer dt770.....)
Mar 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #46 of 174
I'd recommend the d5k too.

The d2k and the k550 would be a different battle. Musical enjoyment? There's quite a lot of instances where the d2k is not enjoyable at all. And switching from the d2k to the k550 would sometimes make me go wow!! I was missing so much of the music, and with the more clear cut midrange of the k550, sometimes the sound would come to life. A great studio doesn't mean a bad music can. 

The d5k exhibit this problem far less than the d2k, as they don't really have this veil and overly dark presentation. They're not grating and sibilant in the highs either like the d2k's are.

So yea the d5k is what you'd like better

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #47 of 174
Thanks a lot to both of you. After searching and reading a lot ( every day for a month ) , and with your help and advice finally my quest is over. I will get the Denon AHD 5000 and i feel it is an excellente desicion from the conclusion i got after your opinions.
In all this process i have learned that as in speakers, in headphones there is not a perfect one , but some that perform better in different styles of music and in the context in wich it will be used. That's why i am also thinking to buy another pair to complement the ADH 5000 , i thought the AKG Q 701 will be a good choice or you thing that for this purpose the K 550 will be the one ? Do you think it is worth it ? Or with the 5000 will be enough?

Best regards,

Carlos

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 174

Quote:
Thanks a lot to both of you. After searching and reading a lot ( every day for a month ) , and with your help and advice finally my quest is over. I will get the Denon AHD 5000 and i feel it is an excellente desicion from the conclusion i got after your opinions.
In all this process i have learned that as in speakers, in headphones there is not a perfect one , but some that perform better in different styles of music and in the context in wich it will be used. That's why i am also thinking to buy another pair to complement the ADH 5000 , i thought the AKG Q 701 will be a good choice or you thing that for this purpose the K 550 will be the one ? Do you think it is worth it ? Or with the 5000 will be enough?
Best regards,
Carlos

I think it's questionable whether it's worth getting a "lesser" pair of headphones to complement the D5000's. What I mean by that is neither the K550's or Q701's are as well rounded as D5000's. They're well known to work great with all types of music, and I don't think K550's or Q701's would outperform them in any area, at least not significantly enough to justify the purchase. Q701's have a bigger sound stage (not necessarily better), maybe slightly more detail and sharper treble,  and K550's isolate better, offer a more analytical sound.  A better idea would be to spend some of that extra money that you would spend on a second headphone, and go ahead and buy D7000's, which are apparently a bit better than D5000's in every area. More importantly, you will be settled "mentally", you won't find yourself wondering whether buying a better headphone would make a big difference. You'll be on top already. :p

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #49 of 174
derbigper , that makes a lot of sense thanks for the suggestion i will consider it.

The last thing i want to ask you both is about amplification , even tough CantScareMe talked about this aspect in a previous post i am still a little confused.

1. To use the 5000 with my iPod/iPad i will benifit from one ? All my music library is in apple lossles and normally listen at low volume. I say this just because if the amplificator it is just only going to increase the volumen i wouldn't consider it but if in the other hand it can improve in something the sound quality, impact , etc..... i wouldn't hesitate to get it. In case it can inprove the sound wich would do the trick ?

2. To use wit ith my top of the line Onkyo A/V receiver do i need amplification ? If so , wich one would be better.

Thanks again.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #50 of 174

Quote:

I don't think K550's or Q701's would outperform them in any area, at least not significantly enough to justify the purchase.

What?

Headfi is a nich forum and so it's normaly very friendly. I don't like getting in disputes with people so i'm not going to here. 
Please if you haven't heard the d5k's (for a real amount of time of a half decent setup) don't comment on their sound. I have never uttered a single comment about the k701, even though i've been asked many times on how i think they sound. 

What have I been listening to today- relaxing progressive trance and classical. Off a very compact fiio e9/hrt music streamer II setup, i've many times switched from the denon d7000 to the k550 as the latter rendered the music better (less sharper highs, more air, more speed, less clutter, less bass emphasis....). I have no reason to lie. 

EXPERTS in this industry like what hifi (they're 5 star reviews on headphones and amps are really good), innerfidelity (tyll), headroom and others all have praised the k550 very highly as they know the closed headphone arena well. 

The ultrasone ed8 is the only closed isolating headphone that i'd put above the k550 in sq. 

Overall i'd put the d7k above the k550 also.

Carlos, the d5k is an awesome headphone that is stellar in comfort. You cannot literally find a full size headphone that has comfort levels like this. It's pretty easy to amp and it's very versatile. Gaming, movies and music are all awesome on this can. The main reason why I recommend this over the k550 for a first headphone is that the akg is more of a can for specific tastes unlike the d5k. All find the d5k enjoyable to some degree, where as the k550 is a hate it or love it headphone. 

As for now, i'd recommend just the d5k. But i'd like to suggest something else as a top tip in general- buy from somewhere with a proper returns policy, even after you open and hear the headphones. Direct from amazon is the best bet.

So if you don't like something you can give it back to them only loosing shipping charges in terms of cost (although never skimp on postage charges if you have to pay- use a special delivery service for obvious reasons)

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #51 of 174

Quote:
What?

Headfi is a nich forum and so it's normaly very friendly. I don't like getting in disputes with people so i'm not going to here. 
Please if you haven't heard the d5k's (for a real amount of time of a half decent setup) don't comment on their sound. I have never uttered a single comment about the k701, even though i've been asked many times on how i think they sound. 

What have I been listening to today- relaxing progressive trance and classical. Off a very compact fiio e9/hrt music streamer II setup, i've many times switched from the denon d7000 to the k550 as the latter rendered the music better (less sharper highs, more air, more speed, less clutter, less bass emphasis....). I have no reason to lie. 

I don't understand where you were going with your comments, but never mind.

I find K550's bright, thin, sibilant and analytical, even compared to Q701's, and especially compared to something like D5000. Maybe I haven't spent 200 hours with D5000's, but a lot less is needed to get to know headphones and play most genres of music. I don't know how K550's have less sharp highs than D7000's, I find K550's treble to be some of the sharpest and brightest of any I've heard so far. Since you mentioned experts, Tyll said in his review of K550's that he thinks that D2000's are a better sounding and more refined headphone overall, and that he finds K550 highs a bit shiny.  

And remember, the person who is buying the headphones is used to listening to speakers, not headphones. He will find D5000's much more enjoyable, 100% sure. Listening experience with K550's is just too thin and analytical. They feel like headphones that have been made to dissect sound and analyze every part of it, which is great if you're an audio engineer, not so great if you just want to relax and listen to some music. For that you need some musicality, some body and heaviness to the sound, which AKG's in general, and especially K550's don't have.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #52 of 174
I am so sorry to hear that this has caused some controversy between you guys , however i want to tell you that the most important thing is that the job you have done has been wonderful cause with your appreciations and insights i finally could make up my mind, which finally is the purpose of this forum , share your experiences and let others like me take advantage from your knowledge and points of view.

Finally i wanted to ask you 2 questions about amplification, cause i am ready to buy the 5000 on Amazon but also want to buy the proper amplification as well. CantScareMe talked about this in a previous post but i am still a little confused.

1. To use the 5000 with my iPod/iPad will i benefit from an amplifier ? All my music library is in apple lossles and i listen normally at low volumes.i say this cause if the only benefit from the amplification is just an increase in volume i wouldn't consider it ,on the other hand if there is an improvement in impact, definition,sound quality in general etc....i wouldn't hesitate to get it.In case it improves the sound wich one would do the trick ?

2. To use it with my top of the line Onkyo A/V receiver connected to Denon Universal player via HDMI and to listen to SACD, HDCD, XRCD24,DVD Audio and Bluray Audio do i need amplification? If so wich one can you suggest ?

Thanks again for your great patience with a music lover like me .

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #53 of 174

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear that this has caused some controversy between you guys , however i want to tell you that the most important thing is that the job you have done has been wonderful cause with your appreciations and insights i finally could make up my mind, which finally is the purpose of this forum , share your experiences and let others like me take advantage from your knowledge and points of view.
Finally i wanted to ask you 2 questions about amplification, cause i am ready to buy the 5000 on Amazon but also want to buy the proper amplification as well. CantScareMe talked about this in a previous post but i am still a little confused.
1. To use the 5000 with my iPod/iPad will i benefit from an amplifier ? All my music library is in apple lossles and i listen normally at low volumes.i say this cause if the only benefit from the amplification is just an increase in volume i wouldn't consider it ,on the other hand if there is an improvement in impact, definition,sound quality in general etc....i wouldn't hesitate to get it.In case it improves the sound wich one would do the trick ?
2. To use it with my top of the line Onkyo A/V receiver connected to Denon Universal player via HDMI and to listen to SACD, HDCD, XRCD24,DVD Audio and Bluray Audio do i need amplification? If so wich one can you suggest ?
Thanks again for your great patience with a music lover like me .

1.  You'd benefit from an amplifier and DAC when using any portable device such as i-devices. Not just in volume, in sound quality overall.

2. Have no experience with receivers for powering headphones, but since its the top of the line, I'd bet it has an at least decent headphone output. However, check the output impedance, speaker amps tend to have high output impedances on headphone outs, not sure about receivers.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #54 of 174
Hasn't caused any controversy. It was just that I didn't think derbigpr had heard the d5k as he wanted to buy it but it's out of his price range (you did say that a few posts back). But he clealy has, so my bad.

I take it back.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #56 of 174
no problems.

I've never had an ipod, ipad or a speaker setup (so no reciever)! So that's why I can't help you that much.

With the ipad there is some camera connection cable that can be used to feed a signal to a usb dac AND an amp. So that means you can use an external dac and an amplifier which is great as you buypass anything in the ipod that messes with the sound. I don't know the details of it though.

With the ipod there are ways also to bypass the internal dac, so to achieve a similar setup to the ipad (I think it's called the algorithm solo. Cost £500. I'm not sure on how good it is or specific details). But the most common is to use the ipod's internal dac (okay, but not great) and then to attach a battery powered external amplifier to the ipod's line out docking port. Something like a fiio e11 is ideal for this. 
The most easiest is to not bother with anything and just to use the standard headphone output (the same you use for the white ibuds). That would be the least hifi of setups of course!! I don't think you'd really like this for long with something like the d5000.

With the reciever I think you should be fine- it's connected to a denon cd player (i've got one, somewhere) and it should have a headphone output. Denon cdp and denon d5k- must make a decent match?!!

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #58 of 174
I finally decided to get the Fiio E 11 and Fiio 3 LOD , cause a i also read somewhere else that it is a good match for the 5000 and that although the iPad/iPod DAC it is not the best it does a good job.

I can't tell you enough how grateful i am for the help you both provided me.

Very best,

Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back