AKG K550 - NEW!!
Apr 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,171 of 1,494

No doubt the Shure SRH940 has more treble energy up top than the K550 - I've been comparing the K550 of late
 to my RS1i and find that it's certainly flatter from the upper mids and up compared to the Grado, however the
 RS1i does dig deeper down low, it is particularly noticeable on bass guitar solo's where the grumble of a low
 note is muted on the K550.

In terms of imaging and sound stage - I'd give the nod to the K550 for sheer size of the soundstage, although
 it's very close between the two - imaging is excellent across both but I find that the RS1i is able to pin point
 drum beats and other instruments on a track more precisely from left to right.

The K550 needed just one more thing, it's an accessory - some sort of leatherette bag or small slimline
 case - sounds silly and yet I bet many people will walk away from this cracking $398AUD headphone all
 because of lack of portability. It's a big headphone and for an extra $10+ RRP those people could of been
 appeased. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,172 of 1,494

Quote:
 I've been comparing the K550 of late
 to my RS1i and find that it's certainly flatter from the upper mids and up compared to the Grado, however the
 RS1i does dig deeper down low, it is particularly noticeable on bass guitar solo's where the grumble of a low
 note is muted on the K550.

Really..?

Wow, I haven't heard a headphone present lowest of low notes as accurately probably ever before. Just out of interest, I did try some electronic stuff that goes real low and from my experience with Grados, they haven't gone even close.. According to graphs, Grados do have a lot more distortion down there; maybe that's what you're experiencing? Can you point out a track with which you came to this conclusion so I could give it a try? :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,173 of 1,494

Quote:
Really..?

Wow, I haven't heard a headphone present lowest of low notes as accurately probably ever before. Just out of interest, I did try some electronic stuff that goes real low and from my experience with Grados, they haven't gone even close.. According to graphs, Grados do have a lot more distortion down there; maybe that's what you're experiencing? Can you point out a track with which you came to this conclusion so I could give it a try? :)

This was on Brian Bromberg's - 'It Is What It Is' - it's an excellent recording of instrumental jazzy bass guitar.

Distortion could be present perhaps but remember with electric bass - that's not always a bad thing considering
 it's purposely introduced via pedals in the first place,.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,174 of 1,494

If you're referring to your 325i - the RS1i according to Headroom has a bit more going on down low
 as illustrated via these graphs.

325i

=383]

RS1i

=293] 

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,175 of 1,494
There's coloration, but the drop off is similar. I've had headtime with RS1, RS2 and the SR325. Nevertheless, put those graphs against the K550's... Not that I give graphs absolute value, but it's interesting to investigate.

I have to try that song though! However, I disagree with your statement that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Properly implemented, distortion compensating for a drop-off like that isn't that bad, but if it is already on the recording, I wouldn't want the effect "doubled", so to speak. It's just that the K550 handles it so good it's difficult to give Grado credit in this regard :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,176 of 1,494

Quote:
There's coloration, but the drop off is similar. I've had headtime with RS1, RS2 and the SR325. Nevertheless, put those graphs against the K550's... Not that I give graphs absolute value, but it's interesting to investigate.

I have to try that song though! However, I disagree with your statement that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Properly implemented, distortion compensating for a drop-off like that isn't that bad, but if it is already on the recording, I wouldn't want the effect "doubled", so to speak. It's just that the K550 handles it so good it's difficult to give Grado credit in this regard :)

I find the K550 to be pretty competent all round with most guitar genres - electric bass, acoustic and what not but
 that familiar crunch and pluck off the string is missing from the AKG - call it coloration, call it what ever you will..

That's guitar for you and if you go to a gig - it's there entering your ears - the Grado gives you a taste of that,
 the K550 and all other headphones for that matter - do not.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,177 of 1,494

The K550's issue appears to be between 4Khz and 7-8Khz - there's too much of a dip for my guitar listening taste.

K550

=3571] 
 ​
This being compared to what I consider to be the best non-Grado for guitar - the Senn HD800.
 ​
=863]  

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,178 of 1,494
Just received the K550's. I was doubting for a long time between these, D2k and hfi-780. D2k were having too much leakage issues for my use and I found the comfort on the hfi-780 a definite deal breaker.

Here are some initial thoughts without burn-in and from an iphone 3GS(!). I knew I would like the soundstage, the comfort and the mids/highs. However,after reading some reviews I was affraid these were light on the bass side. Man, was I wrong! Okay, I must admit, I think I have the perfect (read: wide) head for these cans so I have a next to ideal fit with them. Given this good fit they produce bass where it is supposed to show. With some bass rich songs such as recorded by Trentemoller or Massive Attack these cans really punch out the lows with authority and accuracy. With the XX's "Fantasy" they perform quite reasonable as well in the sub bass area (not D2K low). I know the D2k are even more heavy on the bass, yet, in hindsight I imagine this would have completely shook my head to the point that its no longer an enjoable experience to listen to some songs with plenty of sub bass. I only have the k242 as other AKG to compare them with and these are definitely miles ahead of the 242 on all fields but most importantly on the bass impact (no match really).

These were just some thoughts that I had to write down immidiately. Maybe I'll do a review anytime soon when I have some more hours on them. Will be definitely interesting for the non-purist audio lovers since I am running them straight from the Iphone and have tested and compared other cans this way as well. Can't imagine right now how much better they would sound from a dedicated amp and for the moment don't care to know. I am perfectly happy with them at this point and would like to keep it so until I have the financial needs to upgrade the bunch.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,179 of 1,494
I'll help clear things up for people. These are not bass heavy at all, but the bass has a lot of snap and punch to it. That's the misconception

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,181 of 1,494
Just received the K550's. I was doubting for a long time between these, D2k and hfi-780. D2k were having too much leakage issues for my use and I found the comfort on the hfi-780 a definite deal breaker.

Here are some initial thoughts without burn-in and from an iphone 3GS(!). I knew I would like the soundstage, the comfort and the mids/highs. However,after reading some reviews I was affraid these were light on the bass side. Man, was I wrong! Okay, I must admit, I think I have the perfect (read: wide) head for these cans so I have a next to ideal fit with them. Given this good fit they produce bass where it is supposed to show. With some bass rich songs such as recorded by Trentemoller or Massive Attack these cans really punch out the lows with authority and accuracy. With the XX's "Fantasy" they perform quite reasonable as well in the sub bass area (not D2K low). I know the D2k are even more heavy on the bass, yet, in hindsight I imagine this would have completely shook my head to the point that its no longer an enjoable experience to listen to some songs with plenty of sub bass. I only have the k242 as other AKG to compare them with and these are definitely miles ahead of the 242 on all fields but most importantly on the bass impact (no match really).

These were just some thoughts that I had to write down immidiately. Maybe I'll do a review anytime soon when I have some more hours on them. Will be definitely interesting for the non-purist audio lovers since I am running them straight from the Iphone and have tested and compared other cans this way as well. Can't imagine right now how much better they would sound from a dedicated amp and for the moment don't care to know. I am perfectly happy with them at this point and would like to keep it so until I have the financial needs to upgrade the bunch.

That's just the price talking.
The only thing the k550 bests the k242 is the better isolation, plus it's easier to drive.
soundstage, seperation, bass mids, highs and comfort are worse than the (great) k242.

But beware my oppinion, I'll take most k240 models over the k700 series

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,182 of 1,494

Quote:
That's just the price talking.
The only thing the k550 bests the k242 is the better isolation, plus it's easier to drive.
soundstage, seperation, bass mids, highs and comfort are worse than the (great) k242.
But beware my oppinion, I'll take most k240 models over the k700 series

The K240 mkII is truly a great headphone. In the end I'd choose the K550 though, purely based on how well they perform reproduction wise, disregarding isolation and comfort issues. How do you think the K240's are better?

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,183 of 1,494

Quote:
I just ordered the open box pair from Headroom and should have them early next week and look forward to another AKG and my first closed AKG.

Frank, I think you will like these headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,185 of 1,494
I wasn't able to find a good seal.  I heard their potential when I pressed it against my face.  But it was a no go for me.  It was too large.  Everyone at work commented on the size.  I kinda felt dumb.  It would have been worth it if it sounded good, which requires a good seal.  Unfortunate for me.  I'll stick with my Q701 for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back