AKG K550 - NEW!!
Apr 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,186 of 1,494
Hmm, I don't have any problems getting a good seal, and my head is somewhere from medium to small... They are pretty big though, but stay on better than people lead to believe. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,188 of 1,494

Quote:
I wasn't able to find a good seal.  I heard their potential when I pressed it against my face.  But it was a no go for me.  It was too large.  Everyone at work commented on the size.  I kinda felt dumb.  It would have been worth it if it sounded good, which requires a good seal.  Unfortunate for me.  I'll stick with my Q701 for home use.

I have a medium to small head and I can´t get a good seal. Then I loose the better bass a good seal gives. I tried bending the headband and it did not work as it is quite thin and does not give enough pressure. BUT I found the way. Take an adjustable elastic headband like the ones used with led headlights. Then put the headband on your forehead & top of the back of your neck, and push the cups with the band.
I know many would think it is a no go solution. but it works for me and it is still comfortable. It does not take more than few seconds to fit. Hope it helps someone. As the earpads are big, I find big differences in sound moving the earcups around my ears. I prefer the position where the cups are closer to the back of my head.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,189 of 1,494

If you have long hair you have to make sure the hair is not causing the sealing issue. You should always try to get a leather to skin contact. 
Quote:
I wasn't able to find a good seal.  I heard their potential when I pressed it against my face.  But it was a no go for me.  It was too large.  Everyone at work commented on the size.  I kinda felt dumb.  It would have been worth it if it sounded good, which requires a good seal.  Unfortunate for me.  I'll stick with my Q701 for home use.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #1,190 of 1,494
I deciding on it over the weekend, everytime I head the k702 I like the akg sound more and more. Would love to have the k550 in my collection even if I might regret it later. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,191 of 1,494
I had seal issues at first, but I just had to tighten the headband a bit. Apparently my head isn't as big as I thought lol. I love the way these sound and the ability to be driven straight from an ipod is a huge plus. As for the size, I'm used to going out in public with xb-500s so it's not really an issue for me. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,192 of 1,494

Quote:
I have a medium to small head and I can´t get a good seal. Then I loose the better bass a good seal gives. I tried bending the headband and it did not work as it is quite thin and does not give enough pressure. BUT I found the way. Take an adjustable elastic headband like the ones used with led headlights. Then put the headband on your forehead & top of the back of your neck, and push the cups with the band.
I know many would think it is a no go solution. but it works for me and it is still comfortable. It does not take more than few seconds to fit. Hope it helps someone. As the earpads are big, I find big differences in sound moving the earcups around my ears. I prefer the position where the cups are closer to the back of my head.

The position of the cans with respect to your ears also makes a significant difference (even after you achieve a good seal). 

So you mean the same position as shown in the link below?
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

I go by this position for all my headphones and it sounds best for me.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,193 of 1,494
I never got the AKG550 yesterday because Headroom shipped my headphone to Texas even though I am in New Jersey/ It had to be rerouted/ How that for service?g and over night  but no they did not  you > Hopefully it shows up next week

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,195 of 1,494

Quote:
The position of the cans with respect to your ears also makes a significant difference (even after you achieve a good seal). 

So you mean the same position as shown in the link below?
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

I go by this position for all my headphones and it sounds best for me.

Amazingly, the other way around. I knew already the tip from Meier Audio and works very well  with Senns HD650. With the K550 I find better sound, specially on bass by moving the headband and cups to the back of my head and as in that position they are not at the highest point of my head the whole headphone goes down a bit and that´s the way I like them better. (If that´s  due to the internal shape of my ears I ignore. I know it´s a weird position).

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,196 of 1,494
These and the new HD559 are sold in all Best Buys that have Magnolia.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,198 of 1,494
Ooooh, used K550 for 10,000 yen. This I have to take a look at
biggrin.gif

Edit: Used HD800 for 63,000 yen (776 USD). Hmmmm....

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,200 of 1,494
I'm even concidering these headphones despite I'm a basshead that crave this boost in bass but I see this AKG K550 aren't the typical powerful amp requiring headphones so I thought I maybe could get by adding my basscravings from digiZoid ZO amp.

I tried going through thread but it turned out to be just too time consuming so I'll ask in here some of the points I'd find extra interesting to know more about:

- Mids, how forward-sounding do you find the mids to be, especially interested in lower mids (300~1000Hz)? I generally prefer more forward in-your-face mids than something like BeyerDynamic DT770 which sounds very distant which leads to a non-engaging/intimate listening experience which I'm not very fond of.

- Bass, is it a more fast and attacking/punchy (think Ultrasone, Grado) or slower/softer but more enveloping type (Denon)?

- Highs, are they more in-line with the mids or emphasized above that, I generally dislike when highs are greater emphasized than the mids which leads to a sound that lacks body, may sound a little thin, lack of warmness etc.

I'm very satisfied with my M-Audio Q40 but at times I feel I'd want more forward sounding lower-midrange and airier soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back