AKG K550 - NEW!!
Jan 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #871 of 1,494

Quote:
Wait, so the cup fits completely around your ear, just like a circum-aural phone?

How is the leakage?  

it's completely around-the-ear. it is a circumaural headphone. Unless you have very large ears :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #873 of 1,494

Quote:
I own several studio monitor headphones, so I think it's safe to assume I have listened to music on studio monitors.

I should've been more clear. I meant ruler-flat studio monitor speakers such as those from Adam, Focal, Mackie, JBL, KRK, etc. They're a complete revelation compared to any headphone that hasn't been balanced by measurement and DSP.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #874 of 1,494
This is interesting because it's following the trend of the Beats by Dre Pros... very simple straight headband and massively oversized earcups... I'd hope for an addition of bass.... it seems like most of AKG's cans are light on bass, but I don't expect them to go too far into the heavy bass category for that exact reason. But I am interested in it: I'm intereseted in  closed back cans, and these DEFINITELY look like a new direction for AKG... :D

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #875 of 1,494

Quote:
I'm intereseted in  closed back cans, and these DEFINITELY look like a new direction for AKG... :D

New direction, maybe, the best i m not sure,lol.

Anyway the K550 doesn't sound like an closed headphone and the isolation isn't very good imo, but from the Beats, all headphones sound fantastic
biggrin.gif

K272HD has good bass imo and K601/701... have good quality bass, deep and tight. Its easy to have quantity bass like Beats, quality bass its another story.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #876 of 1,494

Quote:

New direction, maybe, the best i m not sure,lol.

Anyway the K550 doesn't sound like an closed headphone and the isolation isn't very good imo, but from the Beats, all headphones sound fantastic
biggrin.gif

K272HD has good bass imo and K601/701... have good quality bass, deep and tight. Its easy to have quantity bass like Beats, quality bass its another story.

Would you say the K550 or K272 leaks less sound?

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #878 of 1,494

Quote:
Would you say the K550 or K272 leaks less sound?

On my head, K272HD leak less sound, the K550 clamping force is too weak, but if you have a large head it must be different.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #879 of 1,494

Quote:
You'd rate the Z1000 higher because it has rolled off highs? Have you ever listened to a track on studio monitors? They're insanely sharp and biting in the highs. If you ever want to hear what the recording engineers lay down, put on some bright headphones. It sounds like the K550 is going to actually be more accurate.

Not true at all, I have Mackie studio monitors here, which are pretty standard studio fare and they are less biting and harsh in the higher frequencies than almost all of the headphones discussed on this forum.  I don't know where this crazy notion got started that to be accurate and "revealing" gear has to bring out the harshness that is supposedly lurking in the depths of all recordings.  Actually, it's the headphones and their peaky, resonant upper midrange that is harsh.  Yes, recordings can be bad, but they are rarely actually painful or harsh or biting. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #880 of 1,494
Do they have the k701 sound? If yes I might buy one. I just love how th k701 sound. The level of bass (yes bass) that they produce is enough for me. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #881 of 1,494

Quote:
Do they have the k701 sound? If yes I might buy one. I just love how th k701 sound. The level of bass (yes bass) that they produce is enough for me.

K701 sound? hum, not really. The K550 is more warm, slower and less detailled imo, bass seem less deep but more quantity, soundstage is huge for a closed headphone. If you like the K701, you should still like the K550 (after a long burn-in,lol).

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #884 of 1,494
Jan 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #885 of 1,494

Quote:
Not true at all, I have Mackie studio monitors here, which are pretty standard studio fare and they are less biting and harsh in the higher frequencies than almost all of the headphones discussed on this forum.  I don't know where this crazy notion got started that to be accurate and "revealing" gear has to bring out the harshness that is supposedly lurking in the depths of all recordings.  Actually, it's the headphones and their peaky, resonant upper midrange that is harsh.  Yes, recordings can be bad, but they are rarely actually painful or harsh or biting. 

I was talking generalities with the tuned flat monitors like JBLs or tuned KRKs. I find them hard to listen to with some things. Mackies are smoother. I assume it's because they develop a gold standard which sounds good to the engineers, and then ensure your monitor is tuned within tolerances to the standard. It isn't actually ruler flat in FR, only in variance from the standard. It's a different approach from JBL who does it by analysis and gives you flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back