AKG K550 - NEW!!
Jan 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #856 of 1,494
Owning both, I would most certainly go for the Z1000. But then a) my opinion of the K550 seems to be harsher than many here and b) I'm unabashedly a fan of Sony products (though for what it's worth, the Z1000 is not stereotypically "late 90 to present Sony" in many ways).

That being said, in a nutshell, I'd place the K550 as being the more analytic choice between the two. The Z1000 is definitely the more "fun" sounding headphone.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #857 of 1,494

Quote:
Owning both, I would most certainly go for the Z1000. But then a) my opinion of the K550 seems to be harsher than many here and b) I'm unabashedly a fan of Sony products (though for what it's worth, the Z1000 is not stereotypically "late 90 to present Sony" in many ways).

That being said, in a nutshell, I'd place the K550 as being the more analytic choice between the two. The Z1000 is definitely the more "fun" sounding headphone.

How does the sound leakage compare between the K550 and Z1000?

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #860 of 1,494

Quote:

The reviews seem to be quite fantastic for the K550. The overall Z1000 reviews have been kinda mehhh. Would you agree with some of the reviews that the K550 sound "warm" overall?

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #861 of 1,494
no not warm overall.

Wait, It depends what one classifies as warm and bright. For me a bright phone is something that has an r shaped frequency, and concentrates much energy with the highs. A level of sibilance is a given expectation.

The k550 is not r shaped. And it doesn't suffer from sibilance anywhere near the bright t50p and shure 940. In fact the highs definately sound more tamed, 'bassier,' and in general less harsh.

MuppetFace says that the k550 mids are thin and i'd agree with that to quite an extent. Compared to the denon's they are certainly thin. But they are never rough and seem smooth, effortless.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #862 of 1,494
The K550 isolates more than the Z1000. Not too surprising, given that the Z1000 isn't circumaural but rather sits on the ears.

The K550 is definitely on the slightly brighter side of neutral, and I wouldn't describe them as warm. Their sound is clear and detailed, but I find them a bit thin and tinny sounding. I don't find the highs to be particular smooth, but they aren't sibilant. Overall the presentation has a slight harsh tinge to my ears, and I'm thinking this may be due to a very slight amount of glare at the top end.

The bottom end is definitely more emphasized on the Z1000, and the sound is fuller and more fleshed out to my ears as a result. The K550 seems more resolving, either due to actually being more resolving or due to a more emphasized treble. Z1000 seems to have a slight veil or haze in comparison. Soundstage is not as easily delineated, but the K550 has an overall more spacious feel whereas the Z1000 seems to have more extension on either side.

Edit: I would say, based on my own preferences, that the Z1000 is a better choice for electronica, rap, dance, or other beat-oriented music. The K550 is a better choice for acoustic or instrumental.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #863 of 1,494
I own the Z1000 and have listened to the K550 several times now. I would rank the Z1000 way higher than the K550 but then they cost more so that's pretty natural. I find the Z1000 has a much better balance and overall more natural timbre than the K550 which is much brighter.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #864 of 1,494
You'd rate the Z1000 higher because it has rolled off highs? Have you ever listened to a track on studio monitors? They're insanely sharp and biting in the highs. If you ever want to hear what the recording engineers lay down, put on some bright headphones. It sounds like the K550 is going to actually be more accurate. But since I like realism and I don't like harshness, I listen to a lot of classical and acoustic music. It sounds like I could get by with the K550 when I can't use EQ.

To anybody willing to comment, I found the K272HD to be a little "floppy" in its width and soundstage presentation. It tightened up after 55+ hours on the bench, but I didn't like it as much as the overly-narrow K171. How does the K550 sound compared to the K272HD in that regard? Is it easier to place where things are? I found the K272HD put me in the middle of the band (like I was in their way) but the K171 has me being played to by the band... much like real life. I gave the K272HD away to a work associate.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #865 of 1,494

Quote:
You'd rate the Z1000 higher because it has rolled off highs? Have you ever listened to a track on studio monitors? They're insanely sharp and bighting in the highs. If you ever want to hear what the recording engineers lay down, put on some bright headphones.

Is this directed at me?

I own several studio monitor headphones, so I think it's safe to assume I have listened to music on studio monitors.

Bright headphones and studio monitors aren't mutually exclusive. Grados aren't studio monitors, yet they're certainly what can be classified as bright. The CD900st is not an excessively bright headphone, yet is a studio monitor. A headphone can have well extended upper-end but not be harsh.

As for the Z1000, there are several factors as to why I prefer them to the K550.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #867 of 1,494

Quote:
The reviews seem to be quite fantastic for the K550.

From pro yes, from consumer its not always true,lol.

K550 is a very good headphone with some music and strange with others. Even after long listening I don't know in which category put the K550. A mix between some AKG and ATH headphone,lol

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #868 of 1,494

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for everyone's impressions on the K550. I don't see any reason to continue following this thread. Enjoy your listening!

/unsubscribed

Thank you very very much for the impressions. I think I'm pretty set on the Z1000, except the resting on the ears. Headphones tend to be uncomfortable for me, and earpads on ears usually end up hurting. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #869 of 1,494

Quote:
Thank you very very much for the impressions. I think I'm pretty set on the Z1000, except the resting on the ears. Headphones tend to be uncomfortable for me, and earpads on ears usually end up hurting. 

I don't know about that. The Z1000s fit comfortably around my ears, and mine aren't exactly small. The Z1000s definitely weren't designed as supra-aural headphones, that's for sure.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #870 of 1,494

Quote:

I don't know about that. The Z1000s fit comfortably around my ears, and mine aren't exactly small. The Z1000s definitely weren't designed as supra-aural headphones, that's for sure.

Wait, so the cup fits completely around your ear, just like a circum-aural phone?

How is the leakage?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back