AKG K550 - NEW!!
Feb 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #902 of 1,494
The google translate to english on the japanese site is not clear on anything really. Anyone who knows how to read japanese and can interpret this?

Actually, a few of my friends can- so i'll get them to tell me later.

So do these use the same drivers as the ultrasone pro 550?

That would be interesting......

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #903 of 1,494
.....and strange too.

I won't be shocked- as akg has obviously fell from great heights as an audiophile brand- but I don't expect them to be the same. I haven't heard the pro550 but in sound sig I doubt it that it's similar to the k550!

especially in the bass department

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #904 of 1,494

[EDITED]

I do have to say, the pure and raw refinement of the near flawless industrial design on the K550 and the way it showcases their unique "3-D Axis Hinge" so beautifully is at least quite an aesthetic achievement.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #906 of 1,494
Exactly.

Anyway this could and probably is all trash talk. Akg seems to be worryingly close to that bose, beats, skullcandy level of hate, within the audiophile sphere of headfi. It's makes it worrying as the k550 is in my view among the finest closed headphone available to buy (do I have to repeat this again- isolating/non leaking- both unlike ultrasones pro 550)

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #907 of 1,494
Well, this is exactly what I didn't want to have happen. I wasn't interested in trashing AKG. Personally I find the design of the K550 EXTREMELY fetching. I posted the link about the questionable speculation on driver similarity out of mostly curiousity, and the hopes that someone with better understanding or information could say something more definitively. I certainly wasn't making any accusations. I was simply sharing someone's (to me) curious observations. I have no interest in assasinating AKG's reputation, or anything ridiculous like that.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #908 of 1,494
No, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I'm not here to defend akg or anything.

I'll asked some chinese friends if they could translate this for me (google translate is inadequate). 'Err...that's japanese mate.' Embarrising, yes.

I'll ask around if i could find anyone to interpret this now. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #909 of 1,494
I am in the market for closed headphones. I am moving to a dorm and need something that doesn't leak/disturb my roommate.

Right now it is either these K550s or Denon 2000s. 

I listen to primarily jazz and am planning on getting an amp.

What are your guys' thoughts on these headphones for jazz?

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #910 of 1,494

Quote:
No, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I'm not here to defend akg or anything.

I'll asked some chinese friends if they could translate this for me (google translate is inadequate). 'Err...that's japanese mate.' Embarrising, yes.

I'll ask around if i could find anyone to interpret this now. 

Ah, Sorry, my bad for getting defensive. :) No harm done then. Yeah I do agree with your points that the "analysis" or supposition in those posts were, while intellectually interesting, a bit strange. Back to the important part of the discussion, the K550, I'm really interested in the fact that they used (aluminum, correct?) as the cup housing instead of plastic, as metal and wood are known to be superior from an acoustic materials standpoint, and it's whet my whistle that there are claims of fantastic soundstage for a closed can, in such a unique and attractive package, with a relaxed and non-fatiguing top-end. Again this is from what I'm reading so far, and I have yet to audition a pair for myself.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #911 of 1,494
no worries,

Yea, these should be more readily available soon to be auditioned than say some of the more exclusive audiophile cans. So definitely give them a try if you can. 

One thing to remember though- these are extremely picky about positioning on the head sonically wise. I know this is said in the defence of just about every headphone, but for me the k550 is in another league here. The sound seriously changes with a real change in how you wear it. I'm trying to put a reason to this, but from what I can say it may be that the combination of a loose fitting and a very large earspace that the soft earpads give. It can't be like the slogic stuff of the ultrasone pro series can it- I've tried the pro 900 long ago I think and didn't notice anything there.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #912 of 1,494

Quote:
Ah, Sorry, my bad for getting defensive. :) No harm done then. Yeah I do agree with your points that the "analysis" or supposition in those posts were, while intellectually interesting, a bit strange. Back to the important part of the discussion, the K550, I'm really interested in the fact that they used (aluminum, correct?) as the cup housing instead of plastic, as metal and wood are known to be superior from an acoustic materials standpoint, and it's whet my whistle that there are claims of fantastic soundstage for a closed can, in such a unique and attractive package, with a relaxed and non-fatiguing top-end. Again this is from what I'm reading so far, and I have yet to audition a pair for myself.

Am I the only one that thinks that the top-end is actually quite sharp and fatiguing? As a K701-owner, the K550 treble feels more aggressive and sharper when I try them at work. The source there is a decent Onkyo CD and the Rega Ear amp.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #913 of 1,494
I don't find the K550 to be sharp nor fatiguing. I've done some A/B testing with my K701, the K550 is much smoother in comparison.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #914 of 1,494

Quote:

Am I the only one that thinks that the top-end is actually quite sharp and fatiguing? As a K701-owner, the K550 treble feels more aggressive and sharper when I try them at work. The source there is a decent Onkyo CD and the Rega Ear amp.

Hi msninja,

I have to state for clarification, that I have not yet personally auditioned the K550, and I'm sorry if my post was misleading you in any way. What I posted was the summary of the highs on the K550 from the scant reviews available to read on Head-Fi thus far.

Since you're finding the K550's top end sharp and fatiguing compared to the K701, have you tried it with another amp? I'd met a local K701 owner and sold him my ELEKIT TU-882AS, which is a transformer coupled dual-triode W5760 based tube amp. He appreciated the relaxing of the treble without the loss of resolution, the clarity/body of mids, and filling of the K701's low end with that type of amp.

I'm not knocking your amp, or disputing your impressions, I'm just trying to provide a scenario that may be helpful to give you an idea for finding a way to check out the K550 with another amp that is possibly more suited to it (I've never even read about the Rega Ear though, so please be kind), and since you have the K701, I thought relating what another K701 owner's experience was could be helpful.

Best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back