AKG K501 - potential classic?
Feb 23, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #18 of 58
I don't really understand how you could call a headphone like this outdated already. It still sounds great, doesn't it? Headphones aren't like video cards, which become progressively less useful as new games come out. No matter what the source media is now, your headphones still sound the way they did when you bought them....yes, better models do come out, but the 20-year-old designs are no worse now than they were 20 years ago.

So I always snicker a bit when someone looks for a headphone with "new technology".
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 58
I guess you could say that the k501 is 'outdated' in that it has been superceded by newer designs/models. However as others have been quick to point out, this has no bearing on 1. The quality of sound it produces, and 2. value for money, especially given prices are driven down by the influx of newer models/flavours of the month. For Jazz and classical music, i think it will always be el classico
wink.gif

If you can grab the k501 for $100 and you have a semi decent amp, i dont think you'll be disappointed at all. I'd also bet that spending 3 times as much for a new model k701 isnt going to give you anywhere near a 3 fold increase in sound quality over the k501.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I second this.
K501 is now outdated.

As long as the K701 is FOTM, people will have this attitude. Hell, some K701 owners claim other top headphones are "obsolete" - I've read it myself here at head-fi.

Watch the same thing happen again when Sennheiser releases the HD700... "all other headphones are obsolete." Etc. ad nauseum. And people have the nerve to call ME a DT880 fanboy, merely because I love the headphone.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 58
Ah, all headphones were obsolete 30 years ago!
340smile.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #24 of 58
The 501 won't be a classic, just another discontinued model. If you can get them for a good price do, and enjoy them for what they are. A sound you like, at a price you didn't mind paying.

The Sennheiser hd 414, breakthrough headphone for it's day, doesn't generate much interest these days, and rightfully so. It's now just a piece of old technology. Eventually the 501 won't garner much interest either.

About the only brand that has had any luck in creating "classics" in terms of dynamic headphones of increased value is the Joe Grado line of phones. It's to early to know if this will be the case with most of John's creations.

If the AKG line does produce a true classic phone it is likely to be the K1000. Snap those up while you can!

- augustwest

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 58
Revolutionary design? You gotta be kidding me!
tongue.gif

They are probably one of the few headphones out there that would get you punched out for your lunch money. [metaphorically speaking of course]

The K340's design is much more revolutionary. Two drivers, one electret, one dynamic, with passive diaphragms for the crossover. The K1000 is just two speakers joined by some red wire!
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 58
Then I guess we'll have to disagree
smily_headphones1.gif

To me combining a electrostatic/dynamic hybrid isn't as revolutionary as a headphone that literally is an earspeaker; one where you can manipulate the listening experience based on how you position the drivers. If the K340 was the first electrostatic headphone then I would be much more impresssed.

Feb 23, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
As long as the K701 is FOTM, people will have this attitude. Hell, some K701 owners claim other top headphones are "obsolete" - I've read it myself here at head-fi.

Watch the same thing happen again when Sennheiser releases the HD700... "all other headphones are obsolete." Etc. ad nauseum. And people have the nerve to call ME a DT880 fanboy, merely because I love the headphone.

Fewtch,
It's not the fact that you love the headphone that irks people but rather the way you love them that seems a bit odd.
rolleyes.gif

Other than that, I agree with everything you said in this post, spot on!

Jaygee
580smile.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Then I guess we'll have to disagree.

Yup.
340smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by JunktionFET
While on the subject, has anyone ever compared the K501 with the infamous K340? I've never heard the latter.

Only in meet conditions, but I much prefered the K340. I'd love to hear the K501's again some time to do a better comparison though.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back