AKG K501 love...
Jul 28, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #542 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May i know does the China-made Darkvoice 336i drives our K501 well? especially for the Classical musics? or any other choices? like MF X-Can v3, Creek OBH-21(SE) or others?

As a matter of fact, right as i'm "speaking" i listen to a pair of K501 coupled with Creek OBH21 SE, and i actually think that it sounds wonderfull
wink.gif
I listen to classical, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #543 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May i know does the China-made Darkvoice 336i drives our K501 well? especially for the Classical musics?

Absolutely

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #544 of 1,177
Just finished putting my current setup together and I'm listening right now for the first time to classical on my darkvoice with using the K501 and it sounds fantastic. I'm getting great texture on the instruments, especially the bass. I would definitely call the sound "airey" too, which is why I wish I had an hd650 next to them to see if they have some more "body" or "emotion".

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #545 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagonwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished putting my current setup together and I'm listening right now for the first time to classical on my darkvoice with using the K501 and it sounds fantastic. I'm getting great texture on the instruments, especially the bass. I would definitely call the sound "airey" too, which is why I wish I had an hd650 next to them to see if they have some more "body" or "emotion".

Well, I don't have a Darkvoice, but I do have a K-501 and a HD-650. IMO the AKG does have a larger soundstage, and it gives the impression of greater clarity. Mine have plenty of bass, and so are perhaps not as 'airy' as the bass-light versions.

I only say 'gives the impression of greater clarity' because I'm still working out if it actually does. I think both 'phones could simply be different ways of presenting clarity if you get what I mean. Listening to the HD-650 after using only a K-501 for a year or so took a bit of getting used to, but I'm starting to really enjoy it. In fact I think the HD-650 may be more detailed, but conveys this fact gently.

They're both very musical 'phones, and convey a lot of emotion. They just do it differently. I think the K-501 are punchier, their slightly more forward upper mids add some 'crack' to drum hits, making them seem more dynamic. But it's hard to say, I think my source is the limiting factor for now. I still get shivers from both of them though!

Aug 12, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #547 of 1,177
I've just switched the pads on my k501s to k701 pads. Bliss
icon10.gif

Problem is, I now have a fairly useless set of k701s with k501 pads lying around
frown.gif
. The black pads make the k701s look kind of interesting though... shame the sound isn't similarly affected.

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #549 of 1,177
Been a while since I sold my 501s - that was a big mistake.

Anywho, I bought a 500 from the notorious Fitz - he also recabled them as well.

First off. I truly love the 500s - to me they seem, very, very similar to the 501s - don't know if I could tell them apart stock (they do look very cool - black and all instead of grey - and the out of production thing is cool too).

Recable with his black clover cable - they are simply a fantastic can.

Haven't been able to get that same midrange elsewhere - even the nice Beyers ended up sounding a little thing by comparison.

Now here's the icing. Pair these with an Original Master amp. This is a bas heavy amp - but nice bass - retains great headstage as well. Basically it makes them have normal base with their crazy midrange and soundstage.

Now I have a 271k with velour pads and a Zu replacement cable and that is very, very good. Some would probably prefer it to the 501 (if you interested in closed cans it can't really be beat), but for me, the 500 is the real deal - simply unbelievable.

To round the system out I picked up to Zu oxyfuel cable for $29 on ebay and a Iron Jelly fish power cable for $10 - that goes to a Toshiba 3950 - modded in various ways. And at the end of the day it's a sub $500 system from start to finish about which I couldn't be happier.

This 501 thread inspired - so thanks - and thanks Fitz.

-

I hunted for a 501 for while before lucking into the 500 - funny. I remember when the 501 was ending production and everyone said: those will be classics. Seems like they were right (saw one go for an ungodly amount on ebay the other day).

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #550 of 1,177
The k501 is my favorite phone. I have had grado ms-2, rs-1, hd-580's, and headphile hp3000s and k3000s. I prefer the k501 over all them. It is just something about the sweet midrange and the fast, punchy tempo. Not to forget about the enormous soundstage. I keep wanting to buy new cans because I figure that the best cannot be had for $150. lol

Anyways, for people who do prefer the k701 over the k501, why? I am looking at them, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I just end using the k501.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #552 of 1,177
K501- best headphone i've owned
It's just great for long fatigue-free listening sessions!
Had k701, Darths, SR225, DT880/990.. opinion still unchanged

INSANE synergy with the raptor!

PS. can't say the best headphones i've heard though.. i've heard an orpheus and a well setup K1000

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #553 of 1,177
Are you k701 users letting them burn in for the appropriate amount of time needed for them to improve? I remember having the k501s nearly new and them being completely different than my other pair with over 200 hours on them. Just curious...

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #554 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you k701 users letting them burn in for the appropriate amount of time needed for them to improve? I remember having the k501s nearly new and them being completely different than my other pair with over 200 hours on them. Just curious...

You might be correct on the burning. It took a long time for my K501 to sound the way they do now. I will definitely wait before giving a final verdict.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #555 of 1,177
When they first arrived, my K-701 sounded startlingly similar to my K-501. Still slightly warmer, with smoother upper mids and more bass.

They're only up to about 10 hours of burn-in now (I aim to do it slowly and enjoy the process), but already they're much less congested, and any harshness is slowly disappearing.

All in all they're more extended than the K-501 (both ends), sound slightly warmer and are more detailed. To my ears they're just a better 'phone in all regards. Soundstage, for me is roughly the same.

Edit: Oops, sorry, forgot this was meant to be about K-501 love! Oh well, I do love them, more so than HD-650, and whoever buys them on eBay will also love them I'm sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back