AKG K501 love...
Mar 19, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #106 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Wow... I used to agree with the general consensus that the K-501 has weak bass, but I was wrong. I initially tried it with three different amps and sources, and bass was very weak. Even after break-in, it was still pretty marginal and I was thinking about selling them.

However, I plugged them into my PreSonus Central Station three days ago and was amazed. The bass is there. It's solid, deep and clean. It sounds really good and I am thoroughly enjoying them.

Like the K-1000, I think the K-501 needs a lot of juice to power it successfully. Lack of bass in the K-501 is not the fault of the headphones, it's the fault of whatever amp they're plugged into.

Plenty of juice definitely helps. Going from a 9v go-vibe to 24v Pimeta with dual stacked buffers helped a lot. However, they still tend to be somewhat light on the bottom end IMO.

May 15, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #107 of 1,177
The fact is that the AKG k501 is not lightweight to my ears. It's accurate. Don't get me wrong I like bass, but sometimes it can be overwhelming to the point where it interferes with the rest of the frequency range. Last weekend my cousin brought over his pair of AKG K501 and left me to enjoy the phones in peace. I unplugged my HD650 with cardas 10 foot out of my Woo Audio 3 and OMG was I in for a treat. The bass is definately there ! dare I say, authoritative when the music calls for it. Not as body-shaking as the Sennheisers like to serve it, but balanced and refined with bounce that just sounds oooooooooo so right !!!!!! No more is the bass just leading the entire ensemble, but the music as a whole is just in perfect harmony! MUSICAL BLISS!

The thing that I love the most of it all is that the AKG K501's soundstage reminds me of those Stax 4040s that I've once owned but sold due to financial situation. WIDE !!!!! out of head experience ! now, that's awesome!Boy was do I miss them, but when I got my hands on these AKG K501s , I no longer had that urge. I am love these phones so much that I am returning these to my cousin and getting 2 pairs of these !! Then I am going to head up the AKG line. I just love the way the background violins peek through the rest of the ballad when I am listening to those warm vocals. So, subtle yet so present !

My Woo Audio 3 is a magnificent piece of machinery, I owe it to that amp to drive these power hungry akg k501s. Sure , they're only 120 ohms when compared to the 300 ohms from the HD650s, but they are much much much more demanding of power to get that bass out of the AKGs, relentlessly crying to be unleashed. No more of that yearning. It is out now, full-blown and beautiful!! I can't wait to place the order over the weekend. Meanwhile, I am having the most satisfying experience ever since i the last time i enjoyed those Stax 4040s. Even the 650s didn't seem to fit the bill of my desires. So, now that I've got to experience the AKGs, I'm definately loving it more and more. THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE THING AGAIN IS THAT IT REMINDS ME OF THE STAX and not just any type of good dynamic headphone. These are truly special and a technological marvel for a dynamic headphone, or better yet for any headphone, period.

I've now hopped aboard team AKG !!!

Loving it.

May 15, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #108 of 1,177
Comparing my DT880s to my K501s is quite hard. The K501s does so many things right that it's hard to fault them. After doing a marathon listening with my two headphones, I can see why people think the DT880 has more bass than the K501.

I can point out one thing that the DT880 has more of, and that's mid-bass. The K501 has bass, just doesn't cloud the mid-bass like the DT880 does. When a low note is played on the K501, it's solid, deep, and it snaps. None of this rumble, it's and impact. Though it won't appeal to everyone, especial to those who enjoy brain shakes with their headphones. If you want that, then DT880s come very close.

I can't part with either headphones. Each have their own flavor and listening material.

May 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #109 of 1,177
I just ordered a pair of 501s and I'm wondering what if any advancements over my MS-1s will I hear?

I'll be using an Onkyo receiver(TX-DS777) or a Philips amp with an Apt Holman preamp to power these so i hope it will be enough to provide the necessary power.

May 15, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #110 of 1,177
Soundstage! Also, lovely midrange lush from the K501.

May 15, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #111 of 1,177
I just ordered my 2 pairs today. I am listening to the AKG k501 right now with the Woo Audio 3. I think I've found the sound I've been finally looking for the whole time I was fixated on the HD650s. Yes, AKG K501 has a very musical midrange and paired with the Woo, very very defined. HD650s have more of that slam and weighty impact, but many times I find it intrusive and obstructive to the rest of the music. Akg K501 does it all just so well balanced like i've said before.

I think everyone ought to try the Woo Audio 3. I've got the Little Dot 2 for comparison and err..... no comparison. Woo Audio 3 wins with much more precision, the tight low bass the Akgs are dying for. And the it's just much much more liquidy smooth without a grain to be heard even at high volumes. It is not microphonic at all, unlike the Little Dot 2. The best thing it does a headphone amp is that it is THE QUIETEST HEAPHONE AMP I've ever come across, which contributes to music surfacing from pitch black darkness. An indesribable nirvana type experience that just makes one smile. These are the phones to come to if I've had a stressed-out day !!!

I've used the Woo Audio 3 as a preamp in my main stereo system, which consists of Revel Ultimas and Gryphon Antileon Signature monoblocs and Jadis RC JP80 MK II preamplifier with all Cardas golden reference cables (interconnects and speaker runs) and Nakamichi Dragon heavy computerized turntable with Koetsu Onyx cart, and Esoteric X-03 SACD Player.

NO IT DOES NOT LOSE TOTALLY TO MY JADIS, BUT I'LL ADMIT THIS, IT COMES DAMN CLOSE TO THE JADIS IN RESOLUTION. THE JADIS WINS HANDS-DOWN IN THE MIDRANGE AND EXTREMES OF THE AUDIBLE FREQUENCY RANGE AND SUPREME IMPACT ON DYNAMICS THAT MY REVELS CRAVE. BOTH ARE MUSICAL. BUT COME ON, THE JADIS IS UP THERE, AND TO EXPECT A 500 DOLLAR WOO AUDIO TO BEAT IT OR EQUAL IT IS JUST LUDICRIS. SO, WOO AUDIO 3 COMES CLOSE TO IT IN PERFORMANCE IN MY SYSTEM , BUT I ENJOY MY JADIS MORE AND RETIRE THE WOO AUDIO 3 FOR A BETTER USE AS A FRONT-RUNNER IN MY LINE OF HEADPHONE AMPS.

MY WOO IN ALL HONESTY DETHRONES MY HEADROOM COSMIC AND HEADROOM MAX AS A MUCH MORE MUSICAL HEADPHONE AMP. JUST LIQUIDY SMOOTH WITH THE AKG K501S. LOVING EVERY BIT OF IT. AND I LISTEN TO ALL TYPES OF MUSIC, POP, CLASSICAL , JAZZ, ANYTHING THAT GETS THE SPIRITS UP. THE AKG K501 DOES A FINE FINE FINE JOB. SATISFACTION HERE AND ON, EXPECT NOTHING LESS WITH THIS MATCHUP , IT SEEMS LIKE THEY WERE MADE FOR EACH OTHER - AKG K501 AND WOO AUDIO 3 !!!

I would like to ask you guys now how one feels comparing the HD650s against the AKG K701 ?

May 15, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #112 of 1,177
I like to hear Woo Audio 3 w/ K501s. Sounds like my kind of music.

May 16, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #114 of 1,177
I can agree with most of the comments about the 501 so far, though it should be noted that although the 501 does bass, it is flat to about 40hz, after which it rolls off quite steeply (see Headroom FR charts). So do note for most music, which does not have information below 40hz, you should be very happy with the 501. I know I am.

For other music, where it is important to have bass below 40hz, then some other can would be better. I would usually go for one of my other cans lying around - like the MS Pro, W100.

However, it is quite undeniable that the 501 has the midrange clarity/accuracy that rivals even electrostatics.

May 16, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #115 of 1,177
Bah! Curse you, Head-Fi! This thread has steadily warped my next headphone purchase from a K271 with a PIMETA or something to a K501 with a Woo Audio 3.

But, come on... if this headphone is a life-changing experience for classical and jazz, and that's all I listen to, I think I owe it to myself.

What other amps are high on the synergy scale? Are tubes the order of the day? How about the Eddie Current EC-01, or a nicely built DIY Millett Hybrid? Anybody pair this with one of Dr. Meier's Corda amps, to get an idea of what it would sound like out of the HeadFive?

May 25, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #116 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
I just got 701 pads for my 501s from AKG in the mail today. Pretty pricey...came to $41.89 shipped plus CA tax.
14121590788.jpg

Such a great idea.

Oh and K501 'innards vs. K601 'innards

May 25, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #117 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by phatalleycat
I would like to ask you guys now how one feels comparing the HD650s against the AKG K701 ?

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25514

Old news for some of us around here...
tongue.gif

Well, it was not exactly the comparison you requested, but anyway...

May 27, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #118 of 1,177
OK, I admit it, I am a K501 fan
rolleyes.gif

Ever since I sold them 2 years ago (wow it has been that long!), I have had, well . . . something missing.
They are BACK!
biggrin.gif

And I think that speaks volumes about a headphone, when you find that it was that good that you had to have it again.

I am glad that they have returned, I am enjoying them tremendously.

. . . . hmmmm, the AKG's may soon out-number the Senns around my place
tongue.gif

That looks like a great mod VR6ofpain, thanks for 'turning me on to it'
biggrin.gif

it seems a bit pricey offhand, but I am sure once you sink those onto your face there is no doubt it was worthwhile.
580smile.gif

May 28, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #119 of 1,177
I just got mine in the mail a couple days ago from Headroom.com and payed $129.99 with free shipping Fedex. Waht a great price! Possible the best $129 I have ever spent.

After listening to a few cds:

580smile.gif
They are wonderful! Everyone in America should have one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back