AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
Jan 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #46 of 73
Sadly, mine have developed and issue with the plug and I have lost sound in the right channel.  I'll need to get it re-terminated which was something I've been thinking about doing already perhaps with balanced XRLs...

Hi, I just came across your post, on my search for a suitable amp for the K500. If you have not repaired your connection problem on the right side: I had the same problem on mine, and it is apparently a widespread yet harmless issue. Internally, the two cables are clipped onto the driver, and the connectors tend to loosen over time. All you have to do is lift off the piece where 'K500' is written on it (on the outside). It is glued on and comes off easily. Then you'll have access to one or two screws. Remove them and you can open the unit. You will see the cables. In my case I tightened the metal connectors, clipped them on again, remounted everything, and since then the right side works like a charm! You will find documentation on the web if you need a better description than mine. Good luck!

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #47 of 73
^ Thanks for the tip.  Actually, they have been working well on their own again.  I turned up the volume to a high level and the connection reestablished itself.  I still want to check the connections inside as you say, just to make sure things are properly tightened.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #49 of 73
Jan 24, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #50 of 73
Quote:
Told ya not to worry
wink.gif

aye aye captain!
smile_phones.gif

May 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #52 of 73
Quote:
I love the way these headphones sound so open and airy.  They are quite special with their presentation of vocals.

I totally agree. Got my pair a couple of weeks ago and these are definitely more interesting than, for example, modern K550. Also IMHO K500 are not so finicky about amping as it's been said - I got very good sound even from notebook's internal sound card.

May 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #53 of 73
You will get quite good sound from low power sources but these headphones will really open up when connected to an amp able to deliver current in ample supply.  My Bottlehead SEX amp does a great job with these headphones.  I can tell when they are being properly driven because the bass will fill in and the music will sound more present and alive.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:
You will get quite good sound from low power sources but these headphones will really open up when connected to an amp able to deliver current in ample supply.  My Bottlehead SEX amp does a great job with these headphones.  I can tell when they are being properly driven because the bass will fill in and the music will sound more present and alive.

I agree - the difference between K500 driven directly from notebook and from Anedio D2 is obvious, but not so dramatical as I expected - that's what I wanted to say :)

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #55 of 73
Quick quesiton for you guys, purchased the K500's about one month or so ago. I have read many threads regarding the pads. I know there are the velvet pads and leatherette ones which come with. What are the main differences between the pads? Do the velvet pads create a darker warmer  sound as opposed to the leatherette ones? Either way let me know. Thanks

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #56 of 73
  Quick quesiton for you guys, purchased the K500's about one month or so ago. I have read many threads regarding the pads. I know there are the velvet pads and leatherette ones which come with. What are the main differences between the pads? Do the velvet pads create a darker warmer  sound as opposed to the leatherette ones? Either way let me know. Thanks

I've never seen leatherette pads for K500. I believe the first version had this ones:

And the second type is this:

but I dont know about differences in sound. I hope someone can tell us about it. Anyway today you can only buy black shiny pads for Akg K501 or velour ones for K601/701/712.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #59 of 73
Hi, I just came across your post, on my search for a suitable amp for the K500. If you have not repaired your connection problem on the right side: I had the same problem on mine, and it is apparently a widespread yet harmless issue. Internally, the two cables are clipped onto the driver, and the connectors tend to loosen over time. All you have to do is lift off the piece where 'K500' is written on it (on the outside). It is glued on and comes off easily. Then you'll have access to one or two screws. Remove them and you can open the unit. You will see the cables. In my case I tightened the metal connectors, clipped them on again, remounted everything, and since then the right side works like a charm! You will find documentation on the web if you need a better description than mine. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this post! My left earpiece stopped working a few months back.  I'd been using another pair of headphones and was planning on contacting Harman this week to see if they would repair them when I saw your post this morning - took off the cover on the left piece and found the two little clip wires had both come off.  Re-attached them and now working good as new!!  I'd forgotten how good they are not sure how i've managed without them for 3 months!

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #60 of 73
Hi!
I have the same issue with my K-500.
I tried to follow instructions to repair it but wasn't sure how to do it.
Could you please explain in detail?

They say that I should take off the part where K-500 is written on but I was just not sure if it meant the gridded inlay with the logo or the entire module/upper part.
Both don't come off easily so it would be great to know how to work my way in in order to fix it.

Also, which tools did you use to lift up that part?

Sorry for all the questions but I really would like to 'rescue' them...

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back