AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
Aug 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #61 of 73
  Hi!
I have the same issue with my K-500.
I tried to follow instructions to repair it but wasn't sure how to do it.
Could you please explain in detail?

They say that I should take off the part where K-500 is written on but I was just not sure if it meant the gridded inlay with the logo or the entire module/upper part.
Both don't come off easily so it would be great to know how to work my way in in order to fix it.

Also, which tools did you use to lift up that part?

Sorry for all the questions but I really would like to 'rescue' them...

Thanks in advance.

In this thread it's described in detail - http://www.head-fi.org/t/157102/akg-k501-love/990#post_11754158

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #62 of 73
Hi,

The part you have to take off is the small piece with K500 written on it (from memory I'd say about 1cm high and 2 to 3 cm large). Its limit is the chromed border around the K500 characters. Use a flat screwdriver to pry it up, mine did not oppose much resistance. Good luck and best regards,

Ralf

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #63 of 73
Hi qazxsw80 and Ralfm,

Thank you so much for your swift help!
With the photos/description I was able to fix it in a minute.
It was so simple!
Now they are back and sounding amazing :D

Again, thank you very much!

All the best,

Linda

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #64 of 73

Since I recently got K400 MP, repaired and recabled my K500 LP, still own my lovely K601 and also have laying around my K702,
I decided to start a little comparison.
It’s also my first review/comparison here, so I don’t have much experience and don't be to strict to me.

Well my setup is not the best but I think and hope is does its job.
Auzen Prelude -> modded Little Bear Amp with Telefunken ECC 801S tube -> headphones

Stock impressions :
K400: well known for it’s mids, natural sounding, better bass than k500, big soundstage, highs different than  k500 ,little darker
         feeling: like in the middle of the music stage
K500: very nice clear highs, little bit sharp, very huge soundstage
         feeling: like in front of music stage
K601: most laid back headphone, nice bass, bit dark sounding, natural sounding
         feeling: something between in the middle, and in front of
K702: highs are sharper, voices clearer, bigger stage and deeper bass, little demanding to listen to, not natural sounding anymore

After switching pads:
K400 with 601 pads: this is used by several user and so I was expecting a good result but I was disappointed. better bass, but little less clearance and typical k400 feeling has also a bit       gone
         with 702 pads: note that these pads are angled and the drivers are further away from the ears , sounded a little strange imo

K500 with 601 pads:  very little clearance has gone, but bass and feeling has come, highs are as good as before, most natural sounding, perfect to me
         with 702 pads: deeper bass than with 601 pads, even more clearance, sharp sounding, not natural, too much of all I think

K601 with 500 pads: not bass, no feeling, nothing

I haven’t tried the K702 with other pads because I think it is made for studio where you need clearance more than natural sounding, and I also got tired and wanted to stop listening this evening

Conclusion:   The K400 sounds best with 400 pads. With other pads the typical sounding goes away and without that, there is no point to use them anymore.

The K702 is, as already mentioned, made for audio work, and I do not like it that much in comparison to other cans

The K601 is the allrounder imo, nice bass and really laid back, different pad just sound strange

The K500 is my personal winner (second one is K400), with the 601 pads I have fun listen to all kind of music with these cans.

Thanks for reading!

edit next morning: I just did a few comparisons again for personal interests, and have to say that tha differences are quite little from each headphone, also they use the same driver, just variations (except K702)
If you swith to K340 you have a completely! different sounding headphone.
Just wantto say that the difference in characteristics may not be as big as it seems in the text above.
But thanks for reading again.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #65 of 73
First of all: I swithed my amp to a diy of a friend of mine, which is clearer and has better mids.
I need a new amp I gues..
Anyway, the more I listen to my k500, the more I think it sounds more like the k702 than any other headphone.
Also the k400 is very nice with this amp

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #66 of 73
Hi everyone!  I have just received my used K500 in great condition from ebay.  I did pay £170, which I know is a lot but I am over the moon with them.  They are simply magical sounding headphones!  Driving them through a Chord Mojo..  Back to listening now... 

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #67 of 73

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #69 of 73
Hi,

You should check the cable connection first, there are instructions in this thread on how to do this. Cables coming off the right driver are a common issue and can be fixed very easily.

Best regards,

Ralf

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #71 of 73
How do I tell which 'production' my K500 are?  What's the differences between them?

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #73 of 73
I just retested them and the cables are ok.
I'm sure that the driver is broken because if I test the impedance my right driver says nothing while the left is like 117 ohms...

K500 and K400 had some problems with the internal connectors to the driver before they started soldering them. You have to open the the cup (remove type plate "K500" and unscrew), check the small connectors to the driver connecting pins, and if you're lucky they'll be working again after have disconnected and connected them a few times.

There are pictures and instructions by me and others in K400/K500 threads on this site:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/15013/akg-k400/210#post_8500681

Users who are viewing this thread

Back