Nov 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #79 of 394
i bought K601 pad at Jaben singapore, well it's quite hard to get them nowadays

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #81 of 394
hmm, interesting...
popcorn.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #82 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by #@y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my K400 not long ago, I bought them from REB. This is my first headphone and I have to say I really like them. Maybe I'm going to change the pads, but does anyone knows wich pads I should take?

Glad you like 'm
biggrin.gif
!

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #84 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by #@y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, thanks alot!
smile_phones.gif
Where did you bought your K601 pads (I see in your sig you're using them with your K500)?

I also had trouble finding them (except at headroom of course), when I was fortunate enough to get an offer from a fellow Head-fier to buy his pair.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #85 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also had trouble finding them (except at headroom of course), when I was fortunate enough to get an offer from a fellow Head-fier to buy his pair.

Allright, thank you. I think I have to look that way too.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #86 of 394
*digs up thread again*

I just bought a pair of K400s off ebay germany. Paid 52€s, thats around 70$ for you guys. I hope it wasnt too much, well see when i pick them up. Should be in really good shape, too: AKG K 400 HIGH END KOPFHÖRER IN TOP ZUSTAND bei eBay.de: (endet 23.12.08 23:31:08 MEZ)

Im planning on using these with a 5G Video iPod (also, apart from home use), what do you think? Theyre 120 Ohms, will the iPod have enough juice to power them at reasonable volumes?

My old K141 were not exactly loud when conntected to my iPod, i hope these will do better.

BTW, does AKG have reasonable pricing for spare parts?
Shipping from austria shouldnt bee to expensive, im just asking because i might need new earpads or a headband in the future.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #87 of 394
That's a good price in the US. I don't know what they go for in Europe.

A US, non-volume limited iPod can drive them to loud enough volumes, but the bass is rather anemic. I just tried it with my K401 that I have here at work.

It took about 90% volume which may be higher than an EU volume limited iPod can go.

Edit: You order spare parts from AKG in your country. The only possible spare part you'll need is elastics. IMO, the more worn out the ear pads are, the better the K40x/K50x sound.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #88 of 394
Unlocking EU iPods is pretty simple, already done it with my 1stgen iPod touch.

Will it distort if i turn it up all the way, or worse than that, could it damage the output stage of my iPod?

Are headphones also as vunerable to amplifier-clipping as the tweeters on speakers ? (i assume not since they have a fullrange driver)

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #89 of 394
I didn't get any clipping or distortion at 90% volume with my K401, but I just listened for about 2 minutes. It was also some choral music so not a lot of bass.

I have had bad clipping when playing some electronica from my iPod using a pair of old AT ortho headphones. Orthos are notoriously hard to drive but for most music the ATs are driven by an iPod at 75% volume and sound OK. When I played something with a heavy bass line, all of a sudden the music was almost unrecognizable. It took me a couple of minutes to realize what was going on and it didn't damage anything. I flipped through the whole album and it happened on every track. Tried a different album and everything was back to normal.

I guess the lessen is that a headphone that makes you crank the iPod for can cause the iPod to clip if the music suddenly needs more voltage swing than the iPod can deliver. I'm far from an expert in this though.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #90 of 394
Scheiße in Deutschland Sie alle großen Deals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back