Akg K400
Oct 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #332 of 394
  Any K400 owners have a K612 or K601?  I'd like to know how they vary sonically from one another.  The K400 are best with Jazz and other acoustic music and i'd like to know if either of those newer headphones excel in the kids.

I had the K601. They also are best with acoustic music, and the mids are their best point. The sound of the K601 is a bit fuller and slower than the K400.
Overall I found the K400 more engaging and natural sounding The K601 is one of the most boring and lifeless headphones (besides the DT770 600 ohm) I had.
You listen to the music and just don't care. With the K400 listening to music was always fun, with the restriction that they don't do rock well.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #333 of 394

I had the K601. They also are best with acoustic music, and the mids are their best point. The sound of the K601 is a bit fuller and slower than the K400.
Overall I found the K400 more engaging and natural sounding The K601 is one of the most boring and lifeless headphones (besides the DT770 600 ohm) I had.
You listen to the music and just don't care. With the K400 listening to music was always fun, with the restriction that they don't do rock well.

Yeah..i'd say fuller sounding in the mids yet MAYBE slightly more treble and bass. Not as clear and more muffled sounding. K400 seems a little more detailed at times.
K601 isn't as airy/spacious sounding and probably not as good for acoustic music.

K400 does sound a little bass light to me with stock pads. This is also from someone who thinks the bass on the Q701 is perfect.

Wow..can't believe someone else thought the DT-770 600 was boring and lifeless. The one I had was somehow the flattest headphone I ever heard in my life, but totally boring to listen to.
What the heck..a neutral DT-770 600?!

The best upgrade from the K400 is a modded Q701.

Had the K601 for maybe 3-4 years and always liked it. It was one of my favorites for gaming by far. Preferred it to the K702 but not the Q701.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #334 of 394
I would say the flattest headphone I have owned is the K240DF.  I still have and use it on occasion, when I'd like a point of reference for another headphone.  It's been a few years since I've sold my K601 but my K400 has lasted the longest of any headphone in my collection which says a lot.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Oct 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #335 of 394
Is there a variant with both leather headband and gold plug? My K400s have both, and the cord is pretty thin (if I remember correctly, the K701's cable is thicker). I wonder if it's from the middle batch between EPs and LPs.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #336 of 394
Is there a variant with both leather headband and gold plug? My K400s have both, and the cord is pretty thin (if I remember correctly, the K701's cable is thicker). I wonder if it's from the middle batch between EPs and LPs.

There is, definitely. I have seen both, leatherband + fully gold plugged and learherband + half gold plugged. Its a shame that i sold them. I wish i' d still had them.....to compare with my ep & lp k400 :-/

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #337 of 394
There is, definitely. I have seen both, leatherband + fully gold plugged and learherband + half gold plugged. Its a shame that i sold them. I wish i' d still had them.....to compare with my ep & lp k400 :-/

Thanks. I've never heard a EP or LP so don't know how these would stack up but they definitely sound very nice and distinct for the money, not to far off from the K701 in terms of technicality.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #338 of 394
I just started using my K400 LP again after a few years with AKG K340 that are now sold and then a couple of years with a modded Fostex T50rp, that I still got and will keep for brighter recordings. I find the soundstage of the K400 more relaxing than the Fostex and they are much lighter too. I have some K601 pads lying around but I've not tried them yet.

Oh and the AKG's sound wonderfull right now with Brad Mehldau's Highway Rider

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #339 of 394
^ I've been using mine a lot lately too. This version I did the Q701 bass port mod on. Honestly I'm not sure what difference it makes with the K400! Mine just had two thick foam "plugs" on the port.

I use mine with K601 and some well used Q701 pads (that are more flattened). It does give you slightly more treble and a more airy sound with Q701 pads.

K400 definitely seems to have smoother (and less) treble than the Q701, but the Q701 treble has never bothered me.

I mostly use the K400 for gaming and music, but never movies. For movies I just prefer more extended low bass.

Oh yeah.. the K400 seems to sound much better with the O2 than the Q701. Not sure why. I think it's because the O2 can often seem to have very slightly edgy treble.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #340 of 394
How much are the AKG earpads in the US or EU? They are not available in Australia and I'm wondering if there's some helpful headfiers around during Easter times :'(

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #342 of 394
Whoever is interested in more detail about the K400s in comparision to K701 or K500 or the question if they sound better with K601 ear pads.
After carefully reading a lot about AKG earphones I stumbled over this K400 discussion and gave it a try too.
Since this blog really helped me to finally be happy with my earphones I want to share my experience.

Why only AKG? I had a pair of AKG Monitors 30 years ago and actually liked them. And after reading a lot about comparisions with the other brands I decided to stick with AKG.

I was looking for a headphone from AKG to listen MUSIC to. I'm a Hifi enthusiast for over 30 years and learned that on the long run details / soundstage / freqency rangs are not really important ... what is important is: Do I like to listen to a headphone for a long time. Is the music somehow touching you. Do you even get goose bumps sometimes.

So forgive me if I skip all the details and just write about the fun / feeling listening to these headphones.

I used them all long enough that they were "burnt in".

Everything IMO - no offence

K701 / K701 pads: Forget it. Details and soundstage good, but no feelings, no fun.
K701 / K500 pads: Forget it. Just nothing and no bass.
K500 / K500 pads: Ok, but. Details and soundstage good, ok for classical music. No kick on any other music (oldies, opera, folk, pop)
K500 / K601 pads: Good combination. Better than K500 / K500 pads. More bass but some details are gone. Same musicality as K500 / K500 pads
K500 / K701 pads: No. Better bass, but feelings and fun are gone.
K400 (LP) / K400 pads: Very Good. Fun and feelings are there. Even some moments of "wow, I cannot stop listening". But bass could be a bit richer.
K400 (LP) / K601 pads: Very Good too. Fun and feelings are there. More bass but some details are gone. Same musicality as K400 / K400 pads. Recommended
K400 (LP) / K701 pads: No. Too much pad. Fun and feelings are there. Even some moments of "wow, I cannot stop listening". But bass could be a bit richer.
but ....
K400 (EP) / K400 pads: That's it! Fun and feelings are there. Lots of moments of "wow, I cannot stop listening". And: No lack of bass, even with K400 pads !

All this with a combination of FiiO X5 and FiiO E12. These together do a good job on driving the AKGs.

Result:
K701: Sold it for a ridiculously high price (Euro 130,-) in the bay 3 weeks ago. :)
K500: Sold 2 days ago for an ok price. Maybe I should have kept it for the nice pads.
K400 (LP): Bought 2 pairs in the bay. Happy with them but then I read about the EP, MP and LP issue and bought
K400 (EP): Bought 2 pairs in the bay. Last one yesterday  :)))

Having now 4 pairs of K400 this will give me enough spare parts for the rest of my life.

P.S. For those who don't want to browse for what "EP" means: EP ist the early production where AKG used full golden plated plugs. MP (middle production) - I didn't try). LP Leather head band and black plastic plugs with only a little gold.

Now have fun finding these gems.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #343 of 394
^
Great and helpful write-up!
I agree with all your findings on the AKG's I have listened to with the various pads.
And welcome to Head-Fi. The damage to your wallet is already done as I read
k701smile.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #344 of 394
Whoever is interested in more detail about the K400s in comparision to K701 or K500 or the question if they sound better with K601 ear pads.
After carefully reading a lot about AKG earphones I stumbled over this K400 discussion and gave it a try too.
Since this blog really helped me to finally be happy with my earphones I want to share my experience.

Why only AKG? I had a pair of AKG Monitors 30 years ago and actually liked them. And after reading a lot about comparisions with the other brands I decided to stick with AKG.

I was looking for a headphone from AKG to listen MUSIC to. I'm a Hifi enthusiast for over 30 years and learned that on the long run details / soundstage / freqency rangs are not really important ... what is important is: Do I like to listen to a headphone for a long time. Is the music somehow touching you. Do you even get goose bumps sometimes.

So forgive me if I skip all the details and just write about the fun / feeling listening to these headphones.
I used them all long enough that they were "burnt in".

Everything IMO - no offence

K701 / K701 pads: Forget it. Details and soundstage good, but no feelings, no fun.
K701 / K500 pads: Forget it. Just nothing and no bass.
K500 / K500 pads: Ok, but. Details and soundstage good, ok for classical music. No kick on any other music (oldies, opera, folk, pop)
K500 / K601 pads: Good combination. Better than K500 / K500 pads. More bass but some details are gone. Same musicality as K500 / K500 pads
K500 / K701 pads: No. Better bass, but feelings and fun are gone.
K400 (LP) / K400 pads: Very Good. Fun and feelings are there. Even some moments of "wow, I cannot stop listening". But bass could be a bit richer.
K400 (LP) / K601 pads: Very Good too. Fun and feelings are there. More bass but some details are gone. Same musicality as K400 / K400 pads. Recommended

K400 (LP) / K701 pads: No. Too much pad. Fun and feelings are there. Even some moments of "wow, I cannot stop listening". But bass could be a bit richer.
but ....
K400 (EP) / K400 pads: That's it! Fun and feelings are there. Lots of moments of "wow, I cannot stop listening". And: No lack of bass, even with K400 pads !

All this with a combination of FiiO X5 and FiiO E12. These together do a good job on driving the AKGs.

Result:
K701: Sold it for a ridiculously high price (Euro 130,-) in the bay 3 weeks ago. :)
K500: Sold 2 days ago for an ok price. Maybe I should have kept it for the nice pads.
K400 (LP): Bought 2 pairs in the bay. Happy with them but then I read about the EP, MP and LP issue and bought
K400 (EP): Bought 2 pairs in the bay. Last one yesterday  :)))

Having now 4 pairs of K400 this will give me enough spare parts for the rest of my life.

P.S. For those who don't want to browse for what "EP" means: EP ist the early production where AKG used full golden plated plugs. MP (middle production) - I didn't try). LP Leather head band and black plastic plugs with only a little gold.

Now have fun finding these gems.

I experienced 100% the same as you did. 400 EP + 400 EP Pads is my favorite combination.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #345 of 394
thanks a lot for the positive feedback to my first post!

I finally managed to also contribute something after all the great information I found here :)

And sorry for my most likely not perfect english. I'm not a native english speaker/writer ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back