AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Jan 2, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #391 of 1,184
You can also try different pads. I have the AKG Stock, AKG Velvet (from another series), Brainwavz XL Sheepskin Leather, Branwavz XL Perforated Pleather. I'll be ordering the Branwavz XL Hybrids and I'll report back with my impressions and some pics.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #392 of 1,184
I just joined the club.

IMG_20200108_192912.jpg

Green driver. Came today. Cleaned them thoroughly and changed the elastics.

These are going to need new pads. But first impressions are great. There's something magic about the treble.

They sure need juice. My smsl m500 starts feeding them right at about 3/4 of the volume pot.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #393 of 1,184
What are people powering these with lately? They sounded decent enough out of my Benchmark Dac1, which I've since sold. I have the feeling they need even more power. I want to hear them with something insane like these old headroom blockheads on eBay that keep tempting me. It's just too much to spend on <$200 headphones IMHO. (I felt the same way when people were using them with HD600's like 13 years ago)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #394 of 1,184
What are people powering these with lately? They sounded decent enough out of my Benchmark Dac1, which I've since sold. I have the feeling they need even more power. I want to hear them with something insane like these old headroom blockheads on eBay that keep tempting me. It's just too much to spend on <$200 headphones IMHO. (I felt the same way when people were using them with HD600's like 13 years ago)

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #395 of 1,184
Lately I found myself often using this odd couple when listening music at my small desk, and I like it! The Loxjie is pretty strong for the size, it is also everyhing than neutral, but adds some bass end and headstage that works well with K340 for me :L3000:
20200108_225126 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #396 of 1,184
Lately I found myself often using this odd couple when listening music at my small desk, and I like it! The Loxjie is pretty strong for the size, it is also everyhing than neutral, but adds some bass end and headstage that works well with K340 for me :L3000:

That amp seems to be a good compromise between power and "portability". I'll put it on my list...
Cannot buy more things now, or my wife will kill me, cut me to pieces and feed me to wild animals.
Last month I entered the 21st century with a Raspberry Pi based streamer running Moode. Then I needed a good DAC with headphone amp and I ended up with a SMSL M500 which I've been loving so far. Great sound! Then I got a deal on these great headphones that sound nothing alike all the others I had listened to so far. 50€. These are really TOFL! Next thing will be amping these to their potential. The SMSL M500 can really start to push them well, and in some songs they start to sound wonderful at half the volume. On others... I have some MFSL albums that have a beautiful dynamic range, so they tend to sound really low, but now with the K340, they need to be played almost at 100% volume... And I always get the impression that there is something more to extract from the K340.
Good thing is that the M500 has balanced line outputs, and many amps like the Loxjie have balanced inputs, which will provide for a more reasonable listening volume, I guess.

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #397 of 1,184
The 18v Cmoy can drive these!

IMG_20200110_210449.jpg

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #398 of 1,184

I am using Darkvoice TH336SE to power them. Synergy is very good.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #399 of 1,184
Very nice! I will get a custom Tube amp in some weeks that should mainly power my K340 optimal.. I like them so much that i stumbled upon a guy here in germany that builts tube amps for hobby.
Next thing will be to mod the K340 full power...especially get rid of those original pads and this grill that touches your ears.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #400 of 1,184
Very nice! I will get a custom Tube amp in some weeks that should mainly power my K340 optimal.. I like them so much that i stumbled upon a guy here in germany that builts tube amps for hobby.
Next thing will be to mod the K340 full power...especially get rid of those original pads and this grill that touches your ears.

Very nice that you have that tube amp option in your country.

I do not recommend to remove the grills or doing any mods apart from chanhing the earpads and cable -in the first place. If you didn't like what you hear you can make further mods. If you replace the earpads with the Brainwavz hybrid memoryfoam earpads your ears would not touch the grills (unless you have gigantic ears or unusual ear shape) and your K340 may able to perform better both sonically and comfortwise.

I did heavy modding on my first K340 and my slightly modded one (only recabling and earpad change) did sound better. I have to note I have removed the grills on my first pair.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #401 of 1,184
Its a guy that studies electro technique or what its called in english and builts them based on vintage designs and very efficient and highend...
I got interested because he offered a amp that was driving a AKG K1000 wich is one of the most evil to drive headphones.. that amp is super compact but will be super allround for inputs and output.
i may also be able to test a pair of K1000 when i pick my amp up.

I send him my K340 together with my Hifiman Sundaras, Cables, Adapters, E1DA Powerdac V2, my Khadas Board and JDS Atom Amp... so he can tune it right
He mentioned that K340 is actually not so hard to drive as he expected.. i will see in some weeks :wink:

Interesting! I thought maybe i ask the guy from headphile for the internal mods. I want to have 3,5mm or minixlr for changing cables.
I found that most super expensive sold pads are the same as on the photos of the Aliexpress OEM sellers.. so i will order 4-5 for the price of the same and can swap them without spending a fortune.

I also found a shapeways 3d printed version of this grill part. so you dondt have to destroy the original..
Well i will see.. i really like how they sound actually.. a good amp should be the most effective mod for them since i dondt miss anything in the sound. Bass is pretty nice in my opinion.

well all for the sake of the k340 :wink: i really like them

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #402 of 1,184
Hey Krassi,

Can you please point to the Aliexpress pads you ordered? Just curious what they are. Planning to get pair of k340 as well, they pop up quite cheap from time to time over here (about 65 euros).
Also, please leave a link to the shapeways design, it should help those who are after this mod.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #403 of 1,184
I'll be re-cabling mine also. The original cable is in pretty poor shape, there are some strands of copper wire coming out of it. I chose to have a 8 conductor braided cable with 4 conductors connected to each cup, to avoid having signal travelling through those old headband wires, and then finishing it up with a 4 pin xlr, because these are going to rock in a balanced amp. I'll also make a 4 pin female XLR to 3.5 adaptor, to use it wherever I fancy.

I also ordered some pads from AE (this link) and a comfort headband (this link) that I guess I'll be able to adapt to the K340.

All of these changes will be reversible and I'm planning to keep the original materials.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #404 of 1,184
Those Defean pads are good. I ordered other pads from them and they were really nice.

I have ticker pads on an AKG K250 and they are nicer than the original ones. Gains in terms of soundstage, but you need to drive them harder, since they are farther from the ears.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #405 of 1,184

Users who are viewing this thread

Back