AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #631 of 1,184

JAnonymous5150

Thanks for your appreciation....

But you know a greater number of headphones than me by far, :) then your opinion interest me greatly.... And i want to know if my impressions match your own in some way about the K340....

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #632 of 1,184

JAnonymous5150

Thanks for your appreciation....

But you know a greater number of headphones than me by far, :) then your opinion interest me greatly.... And i want to know if my impressions match your own in some way about the K340....

I posted this a few pages back as my first initial observations about the K340s. I haven't had time to do much experimentation beyond the stock configuration so I think you're the resident expert here, man. I actually have some notes for doing some of the mods you have done and will give them a shot when I get a chance. Here's my post about the K340s:

For those who are interested these are my first impressions of the AKG K340s:

Over the last several days I have spent somewhere around 15 hours or so listening to the AKG K340s on various rigs, running all manner of musical genres through them. Let me just say that I'm not aware of a pair of headphones with this level of imaging and detail that can be had today for this kind of money (sub $250 is common market price, I got mine for $150).

Before I got ahold of these, I did some research that left me expecting a pair of headphones that had to be EQed to be listenable because of a fatiguing upper mid peak and an obvious and similarly fatiguing inconsistency between the performance of the dynamic unit and the electrostatic unit. Once I got to listening to the K340s I found that both issues, if you want to call them that, were highly overstated and that the suggested rememdies that I tried took away the unique character of these headphones that I really grew to like. With that in mind, all of these observations refer to the sound of the K340s without EQ.

The K340s do require a good, strong source of amplification, but, IME, most decent desktop headphone amplifiers should be able to cover their needs. For instance, my JDS Labs El Amp 2+, which is pretty standard desktop headphone amplifier fare, can drive the K340s with power to spare. I tried them on a few other more powerful amps and didn't find that they scaled to perform better so that's another area where I found myself disagreeing with some of the opinions I read before I acquired my pair. @Davidzak64 was kind enough to give me the tip to plug in the K340s when I first got them for a while before listening to make sure the electrostatic system was energized otherwise they can sound lifeless so I'll pass that on here to future owners.

For tuning, the K340s are pretty typical AKG: Fast, articulate, non-emphasized/neutral bass that reaches deep and gives you exactly the levels of bass that are supposed to be present in detailed, high quality fashion. Mids that are open, very detailed, and very revealing, though somehow the K340s mids are more forgiving than those on the 700 and 800 series. Treble that's well extended, capable of resolving the smallest micro details with fast transients and plenty of air. There is an upper mid peak that I can see some finding fatiguing, but I found it well within my ears' range of tolerance and had no problem with it.

The stars of the show are the detailed reproduction qualities which are present in spades throughout the K340's sonic range and the precise imaging capabilities that are equally apparent. The low end is particularly impressive with how controlled and articulate it remains even on the most crowded and demanding tracks. It makes listening to some of the prog stuff I have been diggin' lately a joy. The K340's soundstage is maybe just a touch less wide than the x7xx AKGs I own, but with better depth and decent height as well. The truly spectacular thing is how the headphones are able to place and layer sources and sounds within that stage, putting plenty of air between them making it easy to "look inside" the music and analyze exactly what's going on with any given source. For headphones in this price range and for a lot more, I have never heard an equal to the K340s in this regard. Period.

The dynamic-electrostatic combo does create a unique timbre and presentation that isn't the most natural, but, to me at least, is enjoyable all the same. I'm not going to attempt to describe it here, it's just something you have to hear. I tried a few different folks' EQ settings for these heasphones and did my own experimenting, but at the end of the day they all took away from this unique quality and I'm not willing to give that up because it's a big part of the draw and the charm of the K340s.

Basically, if you're looking for a unique pair of headphones with incredible imaging and detail retrieval for $250 or less, the K340s are as good as it gets. I'm really glad that the K340s I saw on this thread reignited my semi-dormant desire to own a pair of these headphones. I plan to keep them in my collection for a long time to come. I've never heard anything like so they've created a space for themselves in my collection that can't really be filled by anything else I'm aware of so I guess the K340s have made themselves irreplaceable.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank @Davidzak64 for answering all my questions about the K340s, the different versions available, and for sharing his thoughts on various points and issues I have encountered in my introduction to these awesome phones. Just when I thought I was done with acquiring gear for a while the shop owner who put me in touch with the seller I purchased my K340s from has told me that he's got a line on a pair of K1000s in ridiculously good condition...😉

I hooe that people find this useful and helpful ir at least an interesting read.

P.S. Ignore any typos. Typed on my phone. I'll edit later at some point, but ran out of time at the moment and don't want to leave an anxious reading audience waiting on tenterhooks any longer. 😜

P.P.S. I originally posted this on a thread about which heasphones you're listening to now because some users were interested in my opinions on the K340s. @Davidzak64 and @jonathan c also encourage me to post this here so more head-fiers and potential future buyers of the AKG K340s would be more likely to find it so thanks again guys.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #633 of 1,184
Thanks very interesting review and takes....

Thank you for your kind appreciaion....

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #634 of 1,184
Thanks very interesting review and takes....

Thank you for your kind appreciaion....

Thanks for sharing your expertise, bro! I think we all benefit from hearing from a guy who has experimented so thoroughly with the K340s.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #635 of 1,184
You had more expertise than me about headphones.... The list of what you own is impressive and your review of the K340 make sense to me....

My main experience is with room acoustic homemade.... :wink:

Thanks for sharing your expertise, bro! I think we all benefit from hearing from a guy who has experimented so thoroughly with the K340s.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #636 of 1,184
You had more expertise than me about headphones.... The list of what you own is impressive and your review of the K340 make sense to me....

My main experience is with room acoustic homemade.... :wink:

I like to think I have decent ear and I'm very proud of the gear I own, but keep in mind that anybody can throw money into a hobby and have an impressive gear list. The example I always like to use is precision long range rifle shooting which has been a hobby of mine ever since the Marine Corps saw fit to put me behind a .338 in Afghanistan and Iraq. You will find plenty of dudes shooting at their local ranges and rifle clubs with $10k or more of custom rifle and high end optics in their rigs that are consistently struggling to group shots especially as the distances increase and then you'll see the guys out there with an old worn in Winchester/Remington/Savage and a $700 scope putting these wallet warriors to shame.

It has only been the last 5 or 6 years that I have been able to own really high end equipment, but I soent decades before that enjoying midfi values on my starving musician's budget. If you look at my collection you'll see that I still have a soft spot for some of my favorite midfi all-stars. Point being, I like to think that I have the gear, the experience, and the passion. Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get around to trying out some of your mods, but I'll be sure to keep you posted on how they work out when I do. My K340s aren't going anywhere, that's for sure! 😎

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #637 of 1,184
I would hesitate a lot recommending some of my modifications to someone... I fear the idea to help someone destroying a unique headphone which will loose all his value on the used market.... Especially gluing on them inside and outside hideous piece of sorbothane and Fo.Q T32 tape...And worst removing the plastic grid like i did years ago with a knife... :)

These were the 2 modifications i made, because i was interested by this headphone, without being in love with it already, anyway i was in love with no headphones i ever try.... I wanted to... I improved all of them but at the end i was never satisfied and begins my acoustic speakers/room long experiments....

It is only because i will no more be able to own an acoustic dedicated room that i go back to headphone with sadness and frustration.... But i decide to going on around the AKG K340, i link it to a new Sansui Alpha, a new dac, new cable.... I modify it with new pads ( the vented holes one were perfect over the three other kind)... After that i used equalization to compensate some effect of the internal resonance of the shell on my ears... I dont play with equalization, i only use it as a tool.... I am finish with it now,...

I discovered for example that the slightest decrease of the db level at 125 hertz has an astonishing effect not only on timbre, like other frequencies i modify, but this one on localization of sounds.... Probably this frequency is related to the vibration/resonance treshold of this headphone of mine heavily modified.... I dont give my precise equalization because it will be useless....

I gave principle only : increase at 30 hertz with an incremental decrease till 100 herzt... Add slight negative level at 125 hertz.... I used an incremental increase at the other side of the frequency range beginning at 4 KHZ incrementally till 13 KHZ wich is with the 30 hertz point the highest db level increase i used... My only point of a slight negative decreased level is around 125 hertz but only slightly negative.... I dont touch it now.... You must look for your own specific equalization , because each headphone modified differ like our ears differ too.... But the general advice i gave for this EQ. is an increase at the 2 extreme range....This headphone like bass and highs.... :)

By the way, one thing i learn about audio, is acoustic basic, and good basic design, even vintage low cost products, win sometimes over high cost one and always win over hype....

I wish you the best for this year ending.... Thank you for your words and ideas.....It is a pleasure....

I like to think I have decent ear and I'm very proud of the gear I own, but keep in mind that anybody can throw money into a hobby and have an impressive gear list. The example I always like to use is precision long range rifle shooting which has been a hobby of mine ever since the Marine Corps saw fit to put me behind a .338 in Afghanistan and Iraq. You will find plenty of dudes shooting at their local ranges and rifle clubs with $10k or more of custom rifle and high end optics in their rigs that are consistently struggling to group shots especially as the distances increase and then you'll see the guys out there with an old worn in Winchester/Remington/Savage and a $700 scope putting these wallet warriors to shame.

It has only been the last 5 or 6 years that I have been able to own really high end equipment, but I soent decades before that enjoying midfi values on my starving musician's budget. If you look at my collection you'll see that I still have a soft spot for some of my favorite midfi all-stars. Point being, I like to think that I have the gear, the experience, and the passion. Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get around to trying out some of your mods, but I'll be sure to keep you posted on how they work out when I do. My K340s aren't going anywhere, that's for sure! 😎

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #638 of 1,184
I will add to my last post that it is the reason i dont recommend or suggest this headphone for most people as a first choice at all... Destroying the economical or esthetical value of a vintage king of the past is not a good idea to give to most people.....I recommend it to someone who like me is frustrated by anything under one thousand bucks and go on dreaming to a more than good musical headphone able to make holographic seeing with a good recording....Nevermind anyway, for someone like me, the necessary modifications, unesthetical one and non commercial one.... :)

The reason why i dont recommend them for all WITHOUT SERIOUS ADVICES from my experience with them, is also because of all the thinking and works we must dedicated in most case, to figure it out the right way, the K340 need most of the times much work to regain his potential anew....

This headphone can be a frustration out of the box and had been for many .... It has been if we read reviews about his alleged defects as non synchronization of the 2 drivers, and lack of extension and clarity in bass and interference between bass and mids, and an unusual timbre for some etc, like it was for me anyway to some degree , BEFORE i imagine a dedicated heavy sets of modification around them ... Like also all my other heaphones without exception had been a frustration too at the end , because i came from a homemade room/speakers very good settings... The difference between K340 and these 4 others headphones i owned, being there is no redemptive modifications for a Hifiman He 400, neither for a Stax SR-5 gold, nor for a Lambda, nor for a K701.... Their "personality is already set in the singularity of their membrane and design, be it dybnamical one, electroacoustical one or a planar one ....

The K340 was and is till today a NEW revolutionary complex technological headphone without rival at his used low price....Instead of being a failed headphone, it was an headphone in need of more refinement trials research, and despite his abandonment as their top of the line product by AKG and his replacement by a more easy conventional dynamic for their flagship as the K701, which is by the way inferior to it but way more easier to sell and use to the masses and for the masses, , this K340 became a "cult" headphone instead of dying in oblivion .... Thats say something...

Controlling vibrations of the shells of these other headphones i just mentionned above, for example, changing amplification, pads, cables, dac, equalisation tools for them , will improve them but will not transform completely these well known headphones at the end.... In my experience you can improve a bit these headphones but not transforming them... The K340 is so sensitive, his shell cup so complex, that this headphone react to the right modification by his metamorphosis like a cinderella.... This is why i am enthusiast here with people who had some experience already with them.... :wink:

And so good the K340 are for me now, i dont think either that they will serve all purpose: gaming, electronic music, cinema, (listening and walking with them is a no, no, for example) as they served me for well recorded acoustic classical music especially ....Especially classical..... For strings they are bliss incarnated....For brass, they can be miraculously clear on timbre and imaging.... For human voices they are realist and dont embellish anything... For many well recorded albums they give a 3-d out of the head experience where we forget we listen an headphone at all , like it was in my speakers/room for some well recorded album too....

I will not buy anything else, anyway to beat them on all acoustic cues because for sure we must ask for a multi thousands dollars headophone, and a specific one is needed to beat the k340 , i dont know which one can do it anyway, for sure there is one or two that can do it, if you know which one feel free to inform me please because i am curious.... And i dont want to be frustrated another time after buying a 4,000 dollars headphone and comparing it to the K340 on all acoustic aspects and discovering that the costly one is good yes, and better on some acoustic aspects BUT it is not a so good holographical headphone at all for example ... :)

I dont want a new good sound with the new beautiful color hype of the day , it is not enough for me, i want realism like with an acoustically well embedded speakers/room system... I want to forgot sometimes in some case with some well recorded album that i listen with headphone.... The k340 give me that....

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #639 of 1,184
---- an observation about "details"....

The K340 had its own way to give us "details".... It will not be by an artefact of the tuning improving some frequencies over other one....Or putting the singer voice artificially more forward in our face for example like did some less well designed headphone...

It is, by virtue of his hybridation well done and 5 resonators , the ability to convey, around a singer for example, the musicians accompanying him or her, at the rear or beside, for real in the acoustic studio, or from some added tracks by the recording engineer, anyway this is possible because of his 3-d holographic presentation of each instruments in his own 3-d bubble, or/and also, in one encompassing acoustic bubble if all musicians and singers played and are recorded in real time in the theater ........

I was able to hear clearly in well known recordings some instruments that were ,with other headphones, relegated to a dark background, emphasis being put by them on the singer voice mainly.... Not with the k340, all singers and musicians are on a better footings with one another.... Then i discovered something new in some album i listened to for decades....Thats say something....

Then the K340 is not a microscope no, it is way better, it is an an acoustic enhancing tool which reveal the original acoustic recording....

Thats makes of the K340 a headphone who dont forgive bad recordings not at all , but which make a more pleasant experience listening to bad recordings because we understood them better for what they are acoustically, extracting from them the best there is acoustically....

To say it in a sentence: there is nothing "in our face" if it is not in the recording itself, there is also nothing relegated to the back of the scene and then partially or completely unheard, and there is never an artificial huge soundstage by design either like in some headphone, with the K340.... This is the reason why it is the most realist and natural headphone i ever listen to.... If the sound is completely "out of your head" sometimes, it is because it is by virtue of the acoustic original recording conditions not by an artefact of his design....

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #640 of 1,184
I just plunged today in the I Musici integral recordings of Vivaldi....

Incredible swim into an ocean, around me and mostly "out of my head", so well they are recorded, a sea of numerous celestial strings....

Bassheads here would be cured by these high frequencies reminding me of melting snow on top of mountains....( Anyway the K340 had also the best extended bass i heard by far)

The K340 is a technological marvel......Unsurpassed in their working acoustic synthesis and balance of all psycho-acoustic parameters....

If AKG in these last 30 years had decided instead of specializing in the classical dynamical membrane ONLY, as for their successor flagship the K701, if only they had decided to make a specialty of these 2 cells dynamical and electroacoustic hybridation process and if they had did more research in these use of their passive coupling resonators, i dont doubt that they would have dominated the headphone world much more than they already did, like Stax dominated the electrostatic world alone...

If i am wrong, explain to me why this K340 sound so much good after more than thirty years, to the point that i cannot even imagine a better headphone at the end when all acoustic and psycho-acoustic cues and factors are taken into the final count balance sheet ?

One thing is sure, you cannot compare the K340 to low end Stax headphone at all, i know because i did it, but only to their top models, the Omegas one .... Think about the compared costs of these 2 brand name... My choice is made.... :)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #641 of 1,184
-----Some remarks about headphones reviews....

It is very symptomatic of most headphone reviews to speak about their different contenders with a limited vocabulary of essential chosen terms : dynamic, imaging, soundstage, bass, mids, highs...We can add tonality and timbre... I forgot surely a few others....Analycity, warmness, darkness, coldness, organic etc

But my point is this one: what is the main essential quality attribute of the K340 which cannot be understood or seized upon with these above attibutes of comparison ?

Timbre holography....

What is it?

Speakers embedded properly in a dedicated acoustically controlled room had something in common with good headphone: timbre holography....

What does it means?

It means that a TIMBRE, which has nothing to do with tonality by the way , is the perceived 3-d dimensional intrinsic multidimensional informations packet revealing if an object is dense, metal, wood, pierced with holes or not, thin or thick, dense or hollow, ( when we knock on a fruit to evaluate his ripeness or lack of for example) and way more other informations related to the specific " speaking voice" of an object or a musical instrument but also information linked to the general acoustic conditions where it is immersed itself and his reaction to it.......Timbre is always 3 dimensional, in the sense of a real object dancing, playing and resonating in his own space/body and expressing it at the same time and reacting to the others instruments too and to the acoustic space specific actual conditions of perception and expression ....This is why we speak of "holography" here, this space is always non linear and it is a dynamical set of communicating volumes....

Then the main quality of a good set of speakers or good headphone, for me, their other differences set apart, is the timbre holographic character well done or not....

With headphone as with speakers, the sound of an instrument must dance in the 3-d volume of his space/body and we must be able to hear AND SEE his expression clearly out of his body so to speak .... With headphone as with speakers, if the recording is well done, the multiple sounds of all instrument must also exist AROUND us not between the speakers or between the ears ONLY.... Speakers without acoustic control in a non dedicated room, a living room for example, will sound like if the sound was coming from the speakers, and many headphones sound like if the sound was coming from the drivers...

With these speakers and headphones non acoustically working well; by bad or wrong or simply an imperfect design, or by lack of acoustical mechanical controls, or the two reasons at the same time; it is impossible to have an experience of this timbre holography.... The fact that the resonant body of an instrument playing tones express his material multiple intinsic body qualities and inform us about them directly in their visible so to speak 3-d space/body dynamical flow, in a space which is at the same time an internal dynamic and an expressed dynamics ....It is a 3-d reacting double dynamics....

What does this means? when we perceive a violin playing timbre with a set of his micro tonalities, we perceive not only the violin resonant body alone but the violin body in some specific location and in a specific perceived acoustic environment, and all these qualities pertain and are manifested through his perceived timbre at the moment of perception....This internal and expressed dynamic is the timbre holography.... Remember that a violin for example had an innate attributed timbre but also an expressed perceived timbre in different acoustic conditions and locations....

This 3-d interacting multiple timbre expressions in a specific acoustic space is this timbre holography or the lack of, which is not described by headphone reviewers.... This is not described because it is a rare experience not one given with most headphones....

And this the reason why without listening to them first i will be very afraid to buy any other headphone to replace the K340 good timbre holography rendition....It is because the K340 can do a good holographic timbre rendition that it can reproduce through this timbre holography something related to the original and initial specific acoustic recording conditions too ...

Timbre holography is not the timbre alone, to be more clear, timbre holography is the specific way to connect the way an instrument dance in his own volume/body/space and CONNECT itself with the others Instruments in a common space... This communication for me is the virtual musical acoustic space of the headphone experience or the virtual room of the speakers experience....This is why good headphone are able of an "out of the head" impression being able to be 3-dimensional and not centered around a point in our head...

Why almost nobody describe this timbre holography in headphone reviews? And why so called headphone experts i have read talks about sounds "plankton" details ? Ignorance of acoustic among other thing..... :)

Because most people dont experience it nor with speakers in their living room nor with most headphones....They dont even know that this is possible and this exist.... :)

I learn more from what a reviewer never speak about than i learn from what he explicitely state about a headphone....

By the way no 10,000 bucks hyped new dac will give you timbre holography if your headphone are not designed to convey it....DSP technology dont replace acoustic and headphone technology..... This is the bad news....The good news is a 100 bucks used headphone can do it with a low cost good dac.... :)

I am a bit provocative here.... But if i can make people think before throwing money my rant will be positive....:)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #642 of 1,184
Here a bit under, there is the adress of a short review by a well informed dude named KT88, thanks to him, because it was after reading him, 5 years ago, i decided to buy a K340 and mod it....but at this moment in time i was enthralled in my acoustic room experiments .... And i dont really listened headphones much, i only wanted to give a try about my last hope to buy a good headphone at last....It was a success , my actual joy is a proof.... :)

But i never try the recabling nor the soldering he suggested to do .... Only new pads, plastic grid removal, fabric cloth, and something personal : self gluing patches of 1/8 inches thick sorbothane duro 70 and Fo.Q tape to decrease vibrations inside and outside the shells ....The rest i added is a powerful very clean amplification and source and equalization after i was loosing my speakers/ dedicated room, selling my house, and after i decided to go back thinking about the K340 replacement as my end of the game audio paradise...The K340 being the only possible contender by far among my 7 others headphone...

A side note:

My bass impact appreciation will differ much compared to his, he give the score 5/10 because i think he dit not put sorbothane inside and outside like i did and Fo.Q tape.... This help a lot to control bass expression....My given score will be more near 9 than 5 on this acoustic count because of that modification.... This bass impact is one of the reason of his superiority on many Stax top model...With the out of the head holography ....

Could my K340 be better with recabling and soldering? Perhaps for some people but KT88 did it and did not like the end result i think, , then i did not bother myself to do it , i dont have the soldering ability so to speak anyway.... And i am too afraid to hurt my headphone and loose them..... :)

But anyway they are better now than anything that i ever listen to, even speakers in an acoustic room, then i live with the K340 in their actual " imperfect" state very well....

I dont know if this review by "master" KT88 was posted in this thread or not already but this reposting here could help too.... The other posts of KT88 about the K340 are in Headfi....

Thanks to him for my a actual joy, because i trusted his reviews and mods, i hope he fare well in this world........

https://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/AKG/K340

Here are the last sentence of this review of KT88 :

"I had the chance of hearing many great headphones (W5000's, SR-007, SRS-3030, GS-1000 etc) but the K340's are the best once modded. The only one that can challenge them are the 007, it will depend on your personal preferences in audio."

With my bass improving mods i personally think that the K340 will rival even the Stax top models...Because the sound remind us of angels swimming in the air yes, but is now heavy like earthquake at times... The vibrations in shell cups headphones is an underestimated cause decrease in S.Q. and clarity and extension of high and bass, then damping the shells help in all my other headphones attempted modifications too...but blutak or dynamat materials will not be efficient like sorb duro 70 and Fo.Q tape here....This is the only reason why my bass impact note given to the K340 is higher than the official 5/10 note given by KT88 ...:)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #643 of 1,184
I just read reviews of many top headphones costing often more than 2 thousand bucks....

It is very instructive to read reviews very attentively and read between the lines and note the thing which no one speak about most of the times....

I am very lucky by the way to own this headphone which kills any upgraditis in the egg..... :)

I even read by someone who owned the K340, perhaps KT88 himself i dont remember , that the K340 after optimal modifications, rival the successor K1000 flagship in transparency in spite of their difference ....And beat it with bass extended and deep....I dont know for that, some owning the two here could comment about this....

But if it is a great testimony about the K340 when no AKG successor ever could kill it or put it on shame or make people ever forgot about it ....Certainly not the ex-flagship K701 which i own and which is not a bad headphone at all compared to most but which cannot hold a candle compared to the "solar" K340.......

The real reason for my post now is this: the K340 is an headphone acoustically able to reveal much about a recording condition, and his specialty will be acoustic instrument, it sound marvellous with them, but it will detect heavily studio trafficked recording in particular.... It is not particularly interesting to use it with recording which are "artificial" or "commercial" in a bad sense....They dont forgive them and dont hide "artificialities" and reveal in a fatiguing way the gluing of tracks in studio .... This is their defect for me which is the opposite face of their main quality : it is an headphone with an acoustic new tool : 5 passive resonators and it reveal the acoustic atmosphere of a recording very well ....

In most reviews people insist on the hybrid technology but the introduction of passive resonators are not less impressive, especially in an headphone which, contrary to the K240 with the same passive resonators, are able to create with these 2 drivers deeper bass and higher highs and articulated contrasts than the K240 .... Here with the K340 the acoustic difference made by the presence of these resonators work at the maximum possible positive effect....

I will not repeat what their very informative marketing sheets says , but read it attentively.... I know they are right and it is not unscientific publicity from them at all, because what they did in a way can be transposed in room acoustic.... In a room too we can use Helmholtz passive resonators and diffusers in a way to "crossfeed" the speakers mechanically to improve the soundfield and make it expansive around the room and around us .... I know because i did it.... This was the reason why my speakers/room beat all my headphones....

But my room/speakers did not beat the K340 which is able to recreate this soundfield "out of the head" in a kind of virtual room around me....When the recording make it possible.... If the recording is not so good anyway the sound resemble more a real natural open sound in a room than it resemble a closed headphone sound, even when the sound in many recordings is itself only around my head or inside it for other recordings ....

Attachments

• AKG_K340.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #644 of 1,184
I just read reviews of many top headphones costing often more than 2 thousand bucks....

It is very instructive to read reviews very attentively and read between the lines and note the thing which no one speak about most of the times....

I am very lucky by the way to own this headphone which kills any upgraditis in the egg..... :)

I even read by someone who owned the K340, perhaps KT88 himself i dont remember , that the K340 after optimal modifications, rival the successor K1000 flagship in transparency in spite of their difference ....And beat it with bass extended and deep....I dont know for that, some owning the two here could comment about this....

But if it is a great testimony about the K340 when no AKG successor ever could kill it or put it on shame or make people ever forgot about it ....Certainly not the ex-flagship K701 which i own and which is not a bad headphone at all compared to most but which cannot hold a candle compared to the "solar" K340.......

The real reason for my post now is this: the K340 is an headphone acoustically able to reveal much about a recording condition, and his specialty will be acoustic instrument, it sound marvellous with them, but it will detect heavily studio trafficked recording in particular.... It is not particularly interesting to use it with recording which are "artificial" or "commercial" in a bad sense....They dont forgive them and dont hide "artificialities" and reveal in a fatiguing way the gluing of tracks in studio .... This is their defect for me which is the opposite face of their main quality : it is an headphone with an acoustic new tool : 5 passive resonators and it reveal the acoustic atmosphere of a recording very well ....

In most reviews people insist on the hybrid technology but the introduction of passive resonators are not less impressive, especially in an headphone which, contrary to the K240 with the same passive resonators, are able to create with these 2 drivers deeper bass and higher highs and articulated contrasts than the K240 .... Here with the K340 the acoustic difference made by the presence of these resonators work at the maximum possible positive effect....

I will not repeat what their very informative marketing sheets says , but read it attentively.... I know they are right and it is not unscientific publicity from them at all, because what they did in a way can be transposed in room acoustic.... In a room too we can use Helmholtz passive resonators and diffusers in a way to "crossfeed" the speakers mechanically to improve the soundfield and make it expansive around the room and around us .... I know because i did it.... This was the reason why my speakers/room beat all my headphones....

But my room/speakers did not beat the K340 which is able to recreate this soundfield "out of the head" in a kind of virtual room around me....When the recording make it possible.... If the recording is not so good anyway the sound resemble more a real natural open sound in a room than it resemble an closed headphone sound, even when the sound in many recordings is itself only around my head or inside it for other recordings ....
I owned both K1000 and K340 and now I still own the K340. The K340 was a much more versatile headphone in my ears. 😉

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #645 of 1,184
Thanks for this well informed opinion..... I deduced that you are right because some others too think the same....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back