AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,357 of 4,058
just in case anyone is thinking of buying this baby, there is a bid at ebay for a new K3003i going on , 16 hours left price stands at 550$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K-3003i-/261758273183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf202469f&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

i also found 3 pairs of K3003i FS here at quite good prices (see the ads and decide which one you like best)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709342/akg-k3003i

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739222/akg-k3003i

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741506/akg-k3003i-big-price-drop

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,358 of 4,058
So I finally received my SE846 today and had a chance to audition the IE800 as well.

My preliminary thoughts:

The IE800 sounds very natural, very smooth yet articulate.  Instrument separation and imaging are both good.  Resolution is similar to K3003 too.  However, the soundstage is noticeably smaller than the K3003 and it also sounds slightly veiled in comparison.  The midrange and treble seemed slightly emphasized for a more forward presentation compared to the K3003 as well.  

For the SE846, which I have just started listening to right now: I am enjoying the excellent isolation with the included tips.  The bass is excellent as I expected, and has alot of impact.  However, both the treble extension and the soundstage seemed the smallest of the three IEMs (especially the treble extension).  The sound is energetic and never fatiguing.  This reminds me of the JH Roxanne (also a non-fatiguing listen), but more articulate and the tonal balance more true.  I think the SE846 is a great go-to IEM and suits most music well.

Back to the K3003: the bass quantity is the least of the three IEMs, but the level of texture conveyed in the bass is excellent.  The tonal balance is spot on and vocals are very convincing.  I feel that the imaging and instrument separation are top notch as well.  Treble extension is also much greater than the other two IEMs.  The K3003 surprises and manages to be much more neutral sounding than the other two IEMs, without being sterile.  What I love most about the K3003 is how well it handles both vocals (slightly warm) and instruments (fast and accurate).  The emotions conveyed from vocals, as well as the various textures of the music are conveyed in a way that the other two IEMs did not seem to replicate as convincingly.  The best analogy for the K3003 is a fine cup of espresso - a small amount of the finest.  

The K3003 is full of refinement, with a delicate balance in it tuning, and always intriguing and vastly enjoyable.  I am quite glad that I stumbled across this little gem.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #2,359 of 4,058
nice impressions. i like that the k3003 has some air. suspect that the se846 might not because of its tuning and fit.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,360 of 4,058
[color=#000000]very nice impressions Audioscope[/color] , i think we are all lucky to stumble into this iem

judging by your post , i get once more the feeling that K3 is the most balanced of the 3 and it's nice to see it getting some more deserved love

all these unbiased opinions will definitely convince more people looking for a truly TOTL iem to experience K3's sonic beauty
biggrin.gif

btw , espresso is my favorite coffee
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,362 of 4,058
Nice intial impression Audioscope. I agree with most of it as I wrote something similar awhile back. K3003 stands pretty tall against those two giants.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #2,363 of 4,058
  perhaps , the right way to put this 'better' question would be something like

If YOU really like/love the K3003 - is there a 'better' IEM out there that yields so much sonic pleasure/bliss like the K3 ?

someone who finds it mediocre/non-coherent/etc , i guess there are plenty iems that are 'better'

also , kudos to a dead bird who paved the way for our sonic pleasure in 2015.

X2

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,364 of 4,058
Okay fellas, with 40 minutes in I can say without doubt that the AKG K3003 is the BEST hybrid iem I've ever heard, and definitely one of the best iems out there (that I've heard). It came installed with the grey "reference" filters, and I haven't thought about trying the black bass or white  treble ones yet (sure I won't like the white ones).

The sound is F-ing GORGEOUS WITH JAZZ!  It reminds me of what I thought the 1plus2 should have sounded like. Bass is on the same level 1plus2 (that iem had gorgeous bass), but the mids and highs are on a different level altogethr. The words are clarity clarity clarity and transparency without burn-in! Ds, the K3003 will make the Doppios go "uhn?!!" And we know how clear and transparent the Doppios got, but the K3003 beat it out of the box without burn-in.

Weight-wise of notes, it's not the thickess I've heard, but I'm not by any means saying the notes are thin. It's still a three-dimensional sound compared to the 2-D sound of let's say the GR07. So since I believe in the powers of burn-in (even for a hybrid), I can't wait to hear what else it brings forward. 

Now, with that stated, is the K3003 worth it's original $1,300 asking price? Wait! Before I answer that, let me go where I usually don't go with earphones. The K3003 is stunningly beautiful like a fine piece of audio jewelry. And although the body is stainless steel, it doesn't feel heavy in my ears. It's not fatiguing to me at all. The only other audio manufacturer that has its earphones sonics match the physical beauty of their products is Aurisonics. Okay, back to the price question. My answer is no! But I don't think really any TOTL universal iem (or custom) that I've heard is worth over $800 really.  But if you can find it for about $750 brand new, HELL YES it's worth that price!!! I actually owned the SE846 briefly and sent them back. Except for bass, it can't compete with this earphone in refinement and clarity. And again, no hybrid I've heard comes close. 

Is the sound neutral? Some would say it is, but I would call it more balanced with the "reference" filters. I say this because the bass is a bit elevated from neutral where you can feel it in its own space. Of course, I'm not talking about basshead levels, but definitely not buried in the mix like some neutral earphones I have heard. And I cant think of a more refined sounding earphone that I've heard since the EX1000 (although those things made my ears feel like they were bleeding from the harsh highs). This is a winner for the right price. Happy listening!!!

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,365 of 4,058
  Okay fellas, with 40 minutes in I can say without doubt that the AKG K3003 is the BEST hybrid iem I've ever heard, and definitely one of the best iems out there (that I've heard). It came installed with the grey "reference" filters, and I haven't thought about trying the black bass or white  treble ones yet (sure I won't like the white ones).

The sound is F-ing GORGEOUS WITH JAZZ!  It reminds me of what I thought the 1plus2 should have sounded like. Bass is on the same level 1plus2 (that iem had gorgeous bass), but the mids and highs are on a different level altogethr. The words are clarity clarity clarity and transparency without burn-in! Ds, the K3003 will make the Doppios go "uhn?!!" And we know how clear and transparent the Doppios got, but the K3003 beat it out of the box without burn-in.

Weight-wise of notes, it's not the thickess I've heard, but I'm not by any means saying the notes are thin. It's still a three-dimensional sound compared to the 2-D sound of let's say the GR07. So since I believe in the powers of burn-in (even for a hybrid), I can't wait to hear what else it brings forward. 

Now, with that stated, is the K3003 worth it's original $1,300 asking price? Wait! Before I answer that, let me go where I usually don't go with earphones. The K3003 is stunningly beautiful like a fine piece of audio jewelry. And although the body is stainless steel, it doesn't feel heavy in my ears. It's not fatiguing to me at all. The only other audio manufacturer that has its earphones sonics match the physical beauty of their products is Aurisonics. Okay, back to the price question. My answer is no! But I don't think really any TOTL universal iem (or custom) that I've heard is worth over $800 really.  But if you can find it for about $750 brand new, HELL YES it's worth that price!!! I actually owned the SE846 briefly and sent them back. Except for bass, it can't compete with this earphone in refinement and clarity. And again, no hybrid I've heard comes close. 

Is the sound neutral? Some would say it is, but I would call it more balanced with the "reference" filters. I say this because the bass is a bit elevated from neutral where you can feel it in its own space. Of course, I'm not talking about basshead levels, but definitely not buried in the mix like some neutral earphones I have heard. And I cant think of a more refined sounding earphone that I've heard since the EX1000 (although those things made my ears feel like they were bleeding from the harsh highs). This is a winner for the right price. Happy listening!!!

well said and wise spoken - welcome to the club
beerchug.gif

20 days in and these things are simply amazing - detailed,transparent,airy,balanced,musical - anything but incoherent or sibilant or (insert your choice of words here)

btw , the NEW k3003i i posted about yesterday (ebay sell) just got sold for 560$ - hopefully is someone from here

oh and there is another NEW one going for sale at 750$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K3003I-Reference-Class-3-Way-Earphones-with-Mic-and-Control-Black-Silver/291378363737?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29170%26meid%3D172c428883444ca4aef3b0abbb581523%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D261758273183

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,367 of 4,058
After a few hours with the 3003, I just want to say I very much agree with the above opinions.
Music is filled with an energy I associate with live performance, quite comfortable, beautifully packaged and built.
Very happy with my purchase.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,368 of 4,058

well said and wise spoken - welcome to the club
beerchug.gif

20 days in and these things are simply amazing - detailed,transparent,airy,balanced,musical - anything but incoherent or sibilant or (insert your choice of words here)

btw , the NEW k3003i i posted about yesterday (ebay sell) just got sold for 560$ - hopefully is someone from here

oh and there is another NEW one going for sale at 750$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K3003I-Reference-Class-3-Way-Earphones-with-Mic-and-Control-Black-Silver/291378363737?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29170%26meid%3D172c428883444ca4aef3b0abbb581523%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D261758273183

$560 is very good price for the i version. I wish I could find the none i version for this price. One was sold for $750 recently here on head-fi.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,369 of 4,058
i, for one, want only the non i version, and for one reason or another, there are very few that buy or sell it. i cannot understand why more people would want the i version, i mean, at this price, it is almost a given that the source will not be a smartphone... or anything that can use a mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back