AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 6, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #2,341 of 4,058
I guess this is one of the perk of paying a high price tag when we purchase the K3003 only to have to pay a smaller fee later on when the product does need replacing. 

I say that is a great price considering how audeze will charge 800 USD to replace one driver. I know different technology and all but 200 USD for a replacement when need be is a small fee. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #2,342 of 4,058
  I guess this is one of the perk of paying a high price tag when we purchase the K3003 only to have to pay a smaller fee later on when the product does need replacing. 

I say that is a great price considering how audeze will charge 800 USD to replace one driver. I know different technology and all but 200 USD for a replacement when need be is a small fee. 

It looks like the replacement is close to at cost for AKG, no packaging, no acessories, minimal markup; a real stand-up move by AKG

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,343 of 4,058
  It looks like the replacement is close to at cost for AKG, no packaging, no acessories, minimal markup; a real stand-up move by AKG

They are a big company and currently they are a lot of competition. I am just glad they do offer such great pricing. We all know once the R&D is done the production cost for most IEM is very low. 

When K3003 was released everyone was outraged by its price. Looking at the K3003 price in the current time frame and how it has performed to me the price tag of 999 USD is a justified price. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,344 of 4,058

so wait - with 200$ we can get a NEW k3003 outside the warranty window ?

or am i getting something wrong here ?

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,345 of 4,058
I am pretty sure my K3003i are aluminium.  If I am not mistaken, the stainless steel ones are for the normal K3003 without the inline remote.

Mine are also made in China, and not Austria.  I assume they started making them in Austria in the beginning though.

By the way, I am eagerly awaiting my SE846 to do some comparisons!

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,346 of 4,058
both versions were made of steel originally. the use of aluminium seems to be a recent development. production moved from Austria to China about six months before i bought mine. i asked akg about it at the time.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,347 of 4,058
The milled stainless steel feels substantial... very substantial, not sure if I would necessarily like it in aluminum. I can understand them trying to make it lighter though and aluminum is probably a good substitute, assuming it's also milled from one piece (which I'm sure it is).

* On my usual commute home I was rocking out to the IE800s yesteray and was thinking how is it possible for anything to sound better? The seperation/details/staging was jaw-dropping. When I got home I broke out the K3K and smiled... (yeah this is how). Also went briefly to the SE846 and was like "nah" and came back to the K3003. It is truely "next leve" for me. The details/neutrality. It's such a clear/transparent window into music, nothing quite like it. I think only the K812/HD800 can match it and those aren't exactly portable. But yeah I think to IE800/SE846's credit I'm able to enjoy them too, nearly everyday, so I guess they're both at a point where the sound quality is so high that it's about the music at that point. DX90 is also a fierce DAP for such a cheap price. I keep wondering about the AK100ii or AK120ii but there stated 2ohm output impedence would bug me psychologically. Waiting for the X7 and Ibasso's response for it. Hopefully a DX100 II or something like that.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,348 of 4,058
listening to some REM(the 'Up' album) through my DX90 and i am having a big smile in my face - amazing iems.

the only fault i can find on the K3003 is the non-replaceable cable which makes me be extra careful with these babies

however (and if someone knows/has been down that path down before, please report here) if we K3003 owners can buy a new K3003 for 200$ from the link in the previous page

well, we will all be very,very happy K3003 owners for a very long time 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,349 of 4,058
So if they break I need to pay $193.25 to get a replacement?

That just gets you the cable. Then you have to get it installed. They have a list of authorized dealers that do this.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #2,350 of 4,058
  The milled stainless steel feels substantial... very substantial, not sure if I would necessarily like it in aluminum. I can understand them trying to make it lighter though and aluminum is probably a good substitute, assuming it's also milled from one piece (which I'm sure it is).

* On my usual commute home I was rocking out to the IE800s yesteray and was thinking how is it possible for anything to sound better? The seperation/details/staging was jaw-dropping. When I got home I broke out the K3K and smiled... (yeah this is how). Also went briefly to the SE846 and was like "nah" and came back to the K3003. It is truely "next leve" for me. The details/neutrality. It's such a clear/transparent window into music, nothing quite like it. I think only the K812/HD800 can match it and those aren't exactly portable. But yeah I think to IE800/SE846's credit I'm able to enjoy them too, nearly everyday, so I guess they're both at a point where the sound quality is so high that it's about the music at that point. DX90 is also a fierce DAP for such a cheap price. I keep wondering about the AK100ii or AK120ii but there stated 2ohm output impedence would bug me psychologically. Waiting for the X7 and Ibasso's response for it. Hopefully a DX100 II or something like that.

should try the shozy alien or the cayin n6 :wink:

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2,352 of 4,058
Does anyone know how the DX90 compares to an iphone 6?  I am mostly interested in the sound signature, and the resolution.

I find that my iphone 6 adds just the right amount of warmth to the neutrality of the K3003, which is excellent.  

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #2,353 of 4,058
I just got my k3003i back from "repair" after volume levels started to drop on the left earbud after 2 years. I returned them just one week after warranty had expired, I must say Reference Audio (Sweden) and AKG was really super nice to take them in and I was lucky enough to end up with a replacement albeit after 2 month. Now that they are back in my ears, I can reconfirm the sound quality, pure ear bliss. During the absence I used my back up phones Weston 4R and also had the chance to listen to Shure SE486 but alas nothing compares to these godly little things. ;D

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,354 of 4,058
congrats and enjoy your new pair.

just like great yet misunderstood music, these iems seem to be getting much more love and respect now than 1-2 years back - while the FOTM iems have died away,these iems remain worthy of the praise given by those who loved them since 2012 - somewhere a little sparrow chirps with pride and joy
tongue.gif

time is indeed the wisest judge of them all.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #2,355 of 4,058
Just want to thank all on this forum: I have the 3003i waiting at home for me after having just been delivered. Still only halfway thru forum but your enthusiasm for these HPA led me to purchase.

Can't wait to get home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back