AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 29, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,221 of 4,058

"An intellectual is a person who's found one thing that's more interesting than sex."

(Huxley didn't have that kind of iems back in the day - or he would have substituted 'intellectual' with 'audiophile')

Speak for yourself.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,224 of 4,058
  I'm very intrigued by your experiences. I do agree the K3003's soundstage and present the highs better than the Roxanne customs, but I definitely hear more resolution and texturation over all coming from my Roxannes compared to the AKG, albeit the warmer character.

I've owned the K3003 on two different occasions and do agree that the frequency response is great, and imo it's the most resolving universal from the big 3 companies (Shure/Senn/AKG).

I'm curious to know what gear you use and what your dial is set to on the bass tuner of the Roxannes.

The bass dial on my Roxanne is set to 1/8th turn higher than the original settings, and I have been using my iPad3 with a Headstage Arrow 3G set to the middle impedance and crossfeed of at setting #2 (highest).  I am happy with this combination, which the K3003 showcases well.  Roxanne sounds tight and controlled too, and mostly articulate.  

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #2,225 of 4,058
Ok..the unthinkable has happened...and I don't even know how it is possible.

I have had my K3003i's for about 11 months now.  They are absolutely the best earphones I have ever heard.
A couple of days ago, I started getting an occasional light popping noise while listening to Spotify.  I assumed it was just a random issue with the streaming.

When listening today, something sounded off. I never found the k3003 overly bright, but today it did.
I used a tone generator and have determined that I have a channel imbalance with just the low bass frequencies on the left earphone.  It's not that the bass is gone completely...it is just much lower volume.

How could this happen out of the blue?!  I don't get it.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2,226 of 4,058

I have had my K3003i's for about 11 months now.  They are absolutely the best earphones I have ever heard.
A couple of days ago, I started getting an occasional light popping noise while listening to Spotify.  I assumed it was just a random issue with the streaming.

When listening today, something sounded off. I never found the k3003 overly bright, but today it did.
I used a tone generator and have determined that I have a channel imbalance with just the low bass frequencies on the left earphone.  It's not that the bass is gone completely...it is just much lower volume.

you can send them back or are they out of warranty ?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #2,227 of 4,058

Ouch man.. I feel you pain. 
frown.gif

Let us know how the warranty process goes.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2,228 of 4,058
so i just sold my RE-600 , no point in letting them gather dust anymore
tongue.gif

i also changed from reference to treble filters , and the sound is very nice also with these filters

i find the small tips to work best as they allow a shallow fit that keeps the bass at bay , while maintaining the fantastically open and transparent sound

these are quite addictive iems.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2,229 of 4,058

Ouch man.. I feel you pain. 
frown.gif

Let us know how the warranty process goes.

Thanks!  Hoping I won't have too much trouble.

I am thinking now that the left dynamic driver did cut out completely and what I am hearing is just the bass from the BAs.
That at least would make some sense to me.  

But surprisingly, I am still hearing some output at 40Hz in the left earphone.  Just not at anywhere near the level of the right.
I guess this is because the K3003 doesn't use a crossover (I think).

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,231 of 4,058
bummer! is it under warranty?

Theoretically, yes.  I have a SquareTrade extended warranty. But this will be the first time I have had occasion to make a warranty claim with them, so not sure what to expect.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #2,232 of 4,058

Theoretically, yes.  I have a SquareTrade extended warranty. But this will be the first time I have had occasion to make a warranty claim with them, so not sure what to expect.

Man, i really feel sorry for you, but you should be able to get a total re-found, or repairs for them... as i know square trade, and the legislation from their country, if they do not cooperate at first, they will if you insist...

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,233 of 4,058
  Man, i really feel sorry for you, but you should be able to get a total re-found, or repairs for them... as i know square trade, and the legislation from their country, if they do not cooperate at first, they will if you insist...

If it's a cable issue, maybe it's worth recabling with upgraded cable.  I have been curious about that myself too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back