AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Dec 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,027 of 4,058
Thank god things took a turn for the irreverent. I was afraid this thread might've had people thinking the K3003 was actually decent or something

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2,029 of 4,058
Just wanted to let AKG 3003i fans know that the TEAC ha-p50 dac/amp with an iPhone 6 streaming Tital  is amazing.  Happy New Year! 

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,030 of 4,058
  Just wanted to let AKG 3003i fans know that the TEAC ha-p50 dac/amp with an iPhone 6 streaming Tital  is amazing.  Happy New Year! 

Cool, thank you. Do you connect the iPhone 6 directly to the DAC of the TEAC? How is that done, with a USB/Lightning cable?

Does the TEAC improve the SQ of the K3003 when driven by the iPhone 6 vs just using the iPhone6? ... the K3003i appears to be easy to drive so I wonder about the need to use an external amp/dac. Any feedback on SQ will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2,031 of 4,058
My second day with the K3003i ... extremely impressed with the white (treble) boots filter. In my view this is the most special filter of this IEM, extreme clarity with perfect high-mids and highs but not fatiguing at all. The extension of the high frequencies is sublime. I also love how it converse female and even male voices, I find that the white/treble filter conveys the most seamless transition from mids to highs.

I don't find the grey (reference) filter that impressive with voices, indeed it is a little disappointing, it doesn't sound natural to me.

The only limitation I find on the white (treble) filter is that it loses a bit of punch in the low miss and bass, and in some recordings it may appear to be a little thin as consequence. The ideal filter for me would be a blend of the gray/reference for low miss and bass, and treble/white filter for high-mids and treble. That would be a perfect IEM.

How could we blend both the white/treble and gray/reference filters?

I am now trying to use both a white filter in one side and the gray in the other hoping that the brain will mix the sound seamlessly and I will not notice the imbalance on the sides (I am am blinded, I don't know where is each filter so I don't overthink when listening) while capturing the benefit of both filters ... so far appears to work ... I will keep searching for the perfect fit for the K3003i ... this is a really impressive IEM, very special.

Now I need to find tips that allow deeper insertion because with shallow fit it is not easy for me to get a good seal.

Sorry for the rambling I feel like sharing with you my journey and testing of the K3003i

glad you're enjoying them but the k3003 is designed for shallow insertion. try and insert it deeply and you'll mess with the sound. there are earphones that are designed for deeper insertion and give you better insulation from outside noise but the k3003 isn't one of them.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,033 of 4,058
glad you're enjoying them but the k3003 is designed for shallow insertion. try and insert it deeply and you'll mess with the sound. there are earphones that are designed for deeper insertion and give you better insulation from outside noise but the k3003 isn't one of them.

Thank you very much. I ordered comply tips, they should arrive soon. I will see if these allow me to get a shallow insertion, I can't manage it with the tips supplied with the K3003. It seems that the K3003 is a hard fit for my ears, unfortunately, because it is a very special IEM and I will explore options to fit it in my canals while being comfortable. I hope I will find a way, we will see.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,034 of 4,058
My wonderful wife surprised me with a pair of K3003i for my 40 birthday, truly Amazing IEM!

Congratulations for the IEM and a great wife 
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,037 of 4,058
My wonderful wife surprised me with a pair of K3003i for my 40 birthday, truly Amazing IEM!

congratulations - you are 2 times lucky
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #2,039 of 4,058
I thought my shure se 846 were great, but these are truly special IEM.

Glad you like the, I am also new to the K3003. I wonder if you could be more specific in what you like of the 846 vs the K3003 and viceversa. I just got the K3003 and even when the fit is a challenge (still testing various tips to see one that may fit and seal) I love it, but I wonder about the 846 and in which way they may be a complementary pair to each other, vs being redundant. Thank you.

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,040 of 4,058

BTW when I use the triple flange tips, even when the insertion is deeper (and consequent talkie I get a better seal) the plane of the actual IEM/filter doesn't enter deep into the ear as most of the tip is empty. So this allows for deep insertion of the tip while keeping the IEM at a shallow insertion point. Maybe that's why I like the triple flange tips the most (?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back