AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 2, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2,056 of 4,058
  this might be the worst place for me to ask this, but, is there any universal iem that beats k3003?

Yes, and not just any, but plenty! The K3003i goes under the name "The King of Incoherence" and it's just awful. Get the entire story by reading this thread from the beginning.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #2,057 of 4,058
  Yes, and not just any, but plenty! The K3003i goes under the name "The King of Incoherence" and it's just awful. Get the entire story by reading this thread from the beginning.

ROFL
very_evil_smiley.gif

@skerry2006aj 

There is no universal IEM that beats the K3003 (in my book). This coming from a guy who owns the SE846/IE800. I've also auditioned the W60 many times (but never got around to buying them)

The only possible exception from my point of view would be the Noble K10 (I haven't heard this but want my greedy hands on them ASAP)

In my collection the K3003 is second only to the K812 and not by much
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #2,061 of 4,058
did not buy yet, but i wanted to buy some tips , just in case.. i have read a lot of problems about fit, and my ears need big tips..

the only iem to which i have not yet found a detailed comparation is ie800. i have yet to fiind a detailed comparation between k3003 and ie800. it seems like most reviewers which loved k3003, did not even bother with ie800, and in ie800 thread most people don't have k3003. this is kind of sad, as i can demo ie800 at a store, and would love to know why should i pay double the price for k3003..

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,062 of 4,058
forget the price/performance ratio approach skerry. it all comes down to personal preference.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #2,063 of 4,058
  did not buy yet, but i wanted to buy some tips , just in case.. i have read a lot of problems about fit, and my ears need big tips..

the only iem to which i have not yet found a detailed comparation is ie800. i have yet to fiind a detailed comparation between k3003 and ie800. it seems like most reviewers which loved k3003, did not even bother with ie800, and in ie800 thread most people don't have k3003. this is kind of sad, as i can demo ie800 at a store, and would love to know why should i pay double the price for k3003..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642528/review-sennheiser-ie800-appreciation-frustration-and-a-bunch-of-what-ifs

Listening notes IE800 vs. K3003 vs. EX1000 in post #2

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #2,064 of 4,058

I have both right here. Let me know what you want to know and I can be helpful
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #2,065 of 4,058

already read that one, thanks for reminding..

I have both right here. Let me know what you want to know and I can be helpful
biggrin.gif

why?.. this is the main question... as i understand, ie800 seem to be similar, but has bloated bass, and less soundstage..
i am curious how is the treble different, and where else k3003 excels over ie800. 

If i could listen to k3003, it would be so much easyer for me to make a decision.. but as i cannot, i must ask these questions..

i am not that much into price/performance ratio if i ended up looking into k3003, or ie800. there are cheaper solutions that do similar jobs, and i know that. i am into the best performance!

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #2,066 of 4,058
the questions you need to answer is probably these 2

1 - what kind of sound/iem do i want/am i looking for ?
2 - what does my gut feeling say about (insert iem name)

i also bought K3003 without having heard it , but i like a balanced sound , so seeing people's comments here it looks like a great iem

the only 2 drawbacks i see are its high price (buying it at half price eliminated this disadvantage i guess) and its non-replaceable cables (having 14 months of warranty kinda neutralizes this disadvantage too)

and the most important rule , don't buy something if it doesn't 'click' in your mind all the right boxes.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,067 of 4,058
  already read that one, thanks for reminding..
why?.. this is the main question... as i understand, ie800 seem to be similar, but has bloated bass, and less soundstage..
i am curious how is the treble different, and where else k3003 excels over ie800. 

If i could listen to k3003, it would be so much easyer for me to make a decision.. but as i cannot, i must ask these questions..

i am not that much into price/performance ratio if i ended up looking into k3003, or ie800. there are cheaper solutions that do similar jobs, and i know that. i am into the best performance!

Now these are my subjective impressions (nothing more):

IE800 has more sub-bass and does decay longer. Not exactly bloated per se, but yeah it can be characterized like that compared to the K3003. It is well under control though and well-textured and reasonably fast/precise. The K3003 bass hits just right with the right amount of decay and is speedier/more precise (It is not however bass light)

The K3003 also has more treble, but not only more treble but more linear treble. It's more neutral signature, very linear and well extended, airy and open/clear sounding. The IE800 has slightly less treble but it also seems to peak at a certain point instead of being linear like the K3003. The signature of the IE800 reminds me a lot of the HD600 (except with more sub-bass). It's very close to neutral too with good presence. I think of it as well-balanced, while the K3003 is much more technically neutral (perfectly balanced).

The biggest difference is that the K3003 is more detailed, extracting things from the recording that you didn't notice before. It's a super clear transparent window into your music. The IE800 can sound darn right muffled next to it. When not being compared to the K3003, the IE800 is a startling example of clarity and transparency, so this just shows you where the K3003 is.

I think soundstaging is a toss up. They both have super wide staging with great imaging and layering. It depends on the recording but I think it's sort of a tie for this particular category. They both leave the SE846 in the dust for staging and imaging

If money isn't an issue and you want the absolute best performance money can buy, then the K3003. If money is a concern and or you like a little laid back, slightly darker more relaxing presentation, then the IE800. The IE800 is not really laid back like the HD650 or anything but compared to something closer to neutral like the K812/K3003 it does sound a bit darker and more relaxing. It's really a fantastic earphone for the money, it only looks bad next to the K3003. I often listen to mine when I don't want that brutal honest transparency and just want to relax and let the music flow while doing other work. It's a great signature too and that's why I own both. The K3003 might be superior per se, but the IE800 has its charms and comes close in a lot of categories. When the mood strikes I want my IE800 there.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,068 of 4,058
  the questions you need to answer is probably these 2

1 - what kind of sound/iem do i want/am i looking for ?
2 - what does my gut feeling say about (insert iem name)

i also bought K3003 without having heard it , but i like a balanced sound , so seeing people's comments here it looks like a great iem

the only 2 drawbacks i see are its high price (buying it at half price eliminated this disadvantage i guess) and its non-replaceable cables (having 14 months of warranty kinda neutralizes this disadvantage too)

and the most important rule , don't buy something if it doesn't 'click' in your mind all the right boxes.

Let me add 3 important questions from my point of view:

• Main music genres? (pop, rock, jazz, classical, acoustic, etc)
  • Preferred listening volume? (low, medium, high)
  • Main listening environment? (inside, outside, quiet, noisy)

For instance, the majority of my listening is to classical, jazz and acoustic at low to medium volume inside a quiet house. Due to my main genres, timbre of vocal and instruments is very high on my priority list (would probably be otherwise if I mainly listened to pop or edm). I like a slighty v-shaped sound signature, because it reflects the equal loudness contour at lower volume. And I don't need much isolation for listening in quiet surroundings.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #2,069 of 4,058

well you did ask why you should pay double the price for the k3003. :wink:

both the ie800 and k3003 have their fans and critics. you can read reviews, impressions, look at fr graphs and ask questions but they won't give you the definitive answer you're looking for, and they really are no substitute for first hand experience. if you can't audition or get a loaner k3003, then you'll have to decide whether it appeals to you enough to put your money down based on what you've read. that's a risk that most folks involved in this hobby are prepared to take. the upside is there's a good chance of selling your gear here for not much loss if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,070 of 4,058
I listen to everything from cabaret, classical, to death metal/deathcore.. I am looking for something with enough treble [ie8 has enough with 16-20khz +8DB][ultrasone dj one pro has enough], enough bass [more sub bass, less 100hz bass]. I listen everywhere, from a silent home to outside, with volumes from medium inside my home to loud outside. I like recessed mids.. 
Money is not a problem, as long as it sounds good. 
The main fear of me, about both is that they will not have enough treble.the high extension is much more important than the rest, for me, because i demoed a lot of iems, and all falled short in soundstage and had not enough treble..
like, even if i pump up ie8 with +8db at 16khz, the cymbals still feel better on my ultrasone dj one pro, they are louder, more realistic...

i am also going to buy the best source alavaible, mostly chord hugo, because i need it porable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back