AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Sep 23, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,801 of 4,058
I'm looking to upgrade from my Earsonics SM64, just wondering if anyone knows how the K3003 compares and is it a noticeable step up in sound? Would also like to know if anyone knows how they compare to the Earsonics S-EM6? Thanks!

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,802 of 4,058
Try contacting Aero Dynamik. He has both. It's been a very long time since I've heard the SM64, but the K3K doesn't have the upper midrange suckout of the SM64. The 64 will sound smoother whereas the K3K will have more of an edge to it. Sub bass, detail retrieval, sound staging and treble will all be superior on the K3K

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #1,803 of 4,058
New owner of the 3003:s here.

Just got them yesterday (i actually bought them from Aero Dynamik).
My current plan is to find a replacement for my EX1000 that also can be worn outside (EX1000 can't be use where there is even the faintest amount of wind since you will hear the wind and not the music).
I have the LCD-X and usually listens through my HUGO with an IPOD as source.

After reading a lot of reviews i realized the best way would be to buy the ones i'm interested in and compare.
I have the DITA Answer, AKG 3003 and Shure 846 on the shortlist.

I want details & clarity, but also bass and headphones that can rock..

Anyway, my first buy was the AKG 3003:s yesterday and my first impression yesterday was so positive i am now reconsidering and might not even try the other two.
I'm impressed by the airiness, the bass which slams more than the EX1000, possibly not as fast but there is more of it.. :) I can hear details now that i can't even hear from my LCD-X.
Only small downside is that with ROCK or music where there are a lot of things happening at once (not sure how to explain), it can sound a bit thick and the airiness/clarity isn't as good (compared to my LCD-X or EX1000)

Compared to my EX1000 these are a clear step up in overall sound quality, not question about it. Also with the bonus that i can wear them outside!

Edit:
Forgot to mention the fit, in one word awesome. Medium tips, secure fit and isolates far better than i thought from reading reviews. Also very easy to put in our take out. Outside i wear the cable over the ears, no issues. 

--
My LCD-X do rock harder than the 3003:s even though the difference isn't that big, they are just more smooth, keep up the separation and makes that kind of music a little bit more fun. (allthough this is early days with the 3003:s) 
So at home when i feel the need for some Muse Bliss the LCD-X will be the choice.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,804 of 4,058
@thebratts...

I also have the AKG K3003i, and I LOVE them.  I particularly like how easy they are to put on.   I have the Shure SE 535, which I love well enough to seriously consider the SE846, but in both cases, it is a major operation to put them in.

The AKG K3003s are also durable and very attractive.

And yes,  they sound FABULOUS.  They provide both palpable subbass and brilliant transparency.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,805 of 4,058

My current plan is to find a replacement for my EX1000 that also can be worn outside (EX1000 can't be use where there is even the faintest amount of wind since you will hear the wind and not the music).

After reading a lot of reviews i realized the best way would be to buy the ones i'm interested in and compare.

Anyway, my first buy was the AKG 3003:s yesterday and my first impression yesterday was so positive i am now reconsidering and might not even try the other two.
I'm impressed by the airiness, the bass which slams more than the EX1000, possibly not as fast but there is more of it.. :) I can hear details now that i can't even hear from my LCD-X.
Only small downside is that with ROCK or music where there are a lot of things happening at once (not sure how to explain), it can sound a bit thick and the airiness/clarity isn't as good (compared to my LCD-X or EX1000)

Compared to my EX1000 these are a clear step up in overall sound quality, not question about it. Also with the bonus that i can wear them outside!

Edit:
Forgot to mention the fit, in one word awesome. Medium tips, secure fit and isolates far better than i thought from reading reviews. Also very easy to put in our take out. Outside i wear the cable over the ears, no issues. 

Wow great impressions. I've audtioned the K3003 many times and every time I come away very impressed. The air and clarity and transparency is just jaw-dropping. I'm not sure why I don't own them yet. To me they sounded even better than my IE800 and the SE846/W60.

So the K3003 is more detailed than the LCD-X? That's very interesting.

Any more thoughts vs the LCD-X? (I'm also interested in getting the LCD-X and or K3003 and or Roxanne, so I would love any more comparisons)

Thanks

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,806 of 4,058
I got my K3003i last year and it has been one and half year 
i dont want to say it is amazing, or fanastic. Just a pair of IEM.  but really you cant find any iem who can best K3003, literally no single one. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,808 of 4,058
Unfortunetely, after 2 years of moderate use, the remote (and the mic) are not working anymore. I'm pretty sure it's the connection on the minijack; to me that's the weak link in these IEMs. I am tempted to replace it with an angled one, hope it will turn out fine.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,809 of 4,058

Edit:

--
My LCD-X do rock harder than the 3003:s even though the difference isn't that big, they are just more smooth, keep up the separation and makes that kind of music a little bit more fun. (allthough this is early days with the 3003:s) 
So at home when i feel the need for some Muse Bliss the LCD-X will be the choice.

That was one of the best one sentence reviews of the K3003 I've read!

I'm not surprised you no longer consider buying the other phones.

My god, what have I done!?
triportsad.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,810 of 4,058
  That was one of the best one sentence reviews of the K3003 I've read!

I'm not surprised you no longer consider buying the other phones.

My god, what have I done!?
triportsad.gif

I've thougt about selling my K3003i a few times even putting them up for sale briefly at one point.  However every time I try another set of earphones they never match up to the AKG's.  Admittedly I've not tried the TOTL in terms of price like the Shure 846 or similar but I dont feel the need to as I cant imagine they would outstrip what I've got.  They might do somethings better but the K3003 just sound so lush.

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,811 of 4,058

I've thougt about selling my K3003i a few times even putting them up for sale briefly at one point.  However every time I try another set of earphones they never match up to the AKG's.  Admittedly I've not tried the TOTL in terms of price like the Shure 846 or similar but I dont feel the need to as I cant imagine they would outstrip what I've got.  They might do somethings better but the K3003 just sound so lush.

You definitely have TOTL earphones there!

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,812 of 4,058
Unfortunetely, after 2 years of moderate use, the remote (and the mic) are not working anymore. I'm pretty sure it's the connection on the minijack; to me that's the weak link in these IEMs. I am tempted to replace it with an angled one, hope it will turn out fine.

bummer

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,814 of 4,058
Hello All,  Thanks to an amazing deal from a member of this thread I am now the new owner of the AKG 3003i and love them! Getting a proper seal really is critical. I was having trouble with the stock tips until I tried the cotton tip mod and now the seal is perfect. Learned that here, so thanks for that! 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,815 of 4,058
Hello All,  Thanks to an amazing deal from a member of this thread I am now the new owner of the AKG 3003i and love them! Getting a proper seal really is critical. I was having trouble with the stock tips until I tried the cotton tip mod and now the seal is perfect. Learned that here, so thanks for that! 

Lucky you! Wondering how much longer I can read about these guys without buying retail. It's not easy!

Sweet that you got a good deal though. Enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back