AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #736 of 4,058
I just ordered the k3003; they'll be here tomorrow.

I've been listening with the ie80 and um3x for the past year or so, and am really hoping for something better. I find the ie80 to be too dark, murky, and laid back - although Carbon Based Lifeforms sounds reasonably decent. The um3x, while excellent for certain source material (e.g. Andy Summers & Robert Fripp - I Advance Masked), yields over-powering vocals and a claustrophobic soundstage.

After I've had a proper chance to evaluate them, I'll post my thoughts to the impressions thread.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #737 of 4,058
Quote:
I just ordered the k3003; they'll be here tomorrow.

I've been listening with the ie80 and um3x for the past year or so, and am really hoping for something better. I find the ie80 to be too dark, murky, and laid back - although Carbon Based Lifeforms sounds reasonably decent. The um3x, while excellent for certain source material (e.g. Andy Summers & Robert Fripp - I Advance Masked), yields over-powering vocals and a claustrophobic soundstage.

After I've had a proper chance to evaluate them, I'll post my thoughts to the impressions thread.

Hope you will enjoy it :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #738 of 4,058
Before having the K3003 I also had ie80 as my "main" portable headphone.

While the ie80 are not fatiguing they are slow, muddy, too forgiving and too bassy. If you don't mind having a bright IEM you'll be happy with the AKGs for a long time. They are superb IEMs.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #739 of 4,058
Before having the K3003 I also had ie80 as my "main" portable headphone.

While the ie80 are not fatiguing they are slow, muddy, too forgiving and too bassy. If you don't mind having a bright IEM you'll be happy with the AKGs for a long time. They are superb IEMs.

They are bright but the bass is not lacking much. I've found my favorite tips, the comply ts-500. These really bring out the bass without messing up the wonderfully natural highs. More so than silicon tips I find.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #740 of 4,058
I can't say the K3003 lack bass 
biggrin.gif

However, the comply tips do attenuate the highs, but the "good" ones at 10kHz and above, not the "offending" ones around 6kHz. That's why I stopped using them and chose to use an eq.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #742 of 4,058
I briefly had the chance to try these things - I couldn't choose the right tips for my ears but the medium tips fit reasonably well. What I heard was a totally disjointed sound, the bass and the mid-highs were totally separated, not even in sync.

It sounded like a high pitched elephant fart. :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #744 of 4,058
Listening to them right now in the sky. To me the driver integration is seamless. Wonderful, tight ( but spacious), sound with excellent clarity and very pleasant bass. I am listening to the Kronos Quartet to try and identify any timbre mismatches, but I just don't hear any. I should add that I'm on the slightly older side but my hearing goes up to 18Khz+.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #746 of 4,058
Quote:
Listening to them right now in the sky. To me the driver integration is seamless. Wonderful, tight ( but spacious), sound with excellent clarity and very pleasant bass. I am listening to the Kronos Quartet to try and identify any timbre mismatches, but I just don't hear any. I should add that I'm on the slightly older side but my hearing goes up to 18Khz+.

If you really want to hear timbre mismatches, they will become obvious with further listening. Certainly with the Tokyo string quartet recordings I have of Beethoven's late string quartets, it was not difficult to hear the cello lacking some sharp detail compared to the violins when I spent a few nights with the k3003.

However, there's no need to hunt for reasons not to enjoy a earphone you've purchased, that's just a thing people do on head-fi and maybe not a good one. Enjoy your k3003 and treat them well and you'll get a lot of nice hours of music with them.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #750 of 4,058
Hehe, to these ears they are.

Must be the way the dynamic driver acts compared to the BA ones. Although measurements (based on pink noise) show similar responses between these two type of IEMs I found that the actual response (should I call it dynamic response?) with music does give me the impression that dynamic based ones sound less bright than the graph should let you believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back