AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #771 of 4,058
Quote:
Quote:
How do I delete this post?

It's complicated. You have to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift + $ + # and press Del.

Thanks, but I'm afraid it didn't work... However, by accident I found the proper procedure!

1. Edit your post.
2. Place the cursor in the white reply area.
3. Press Ctrl+Esc and then tripple click the Delete button.
4. Post gone!

I won't delete my orginal post with the "how do I delete post" question so that others searching may find it.

Cheers!

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #772 of 4,058
Quote:
[size=medium]Since the excellent thread: “[/size][size=medium]AKG K3003 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion[/size][size=medium]” (started by the now banned “music_4321”) has been locked (can anyone please inform me of why?), I’ll just post here instead…[/size]

Thanks for the kind words.

As for why the thread was locked, my guess is that things were starting to get a bit heated and the mods probably thought it best to lock the thread before things got a bit nasty. I personally think it was rather unfortunate it got locked mostly because of the links found on the first post and some rather interesting exchanges / information found within the thread.

Glad to see you've found how wonderful the K3003a are. Unfortunately, these AKGs have been much maligned, which soon led to them being practically ignored / overlooked on HF. Like you, I imagine that if I had personally gone by some of the comments that have been posted here, I would not have been interested in these IEMs AT ALL.

Having said that, today is exactly 1 year and 3 months since I purchased my K3003s (2nd January 2012), and of all the earphones / headphones I've heard in my life, I have to say that I've only found the full-sized HD800 to be better sonically, though certainly not by much, mind you (I find the HD800 & K3003 remarkably similar). I am, in fact, now selling my FitEar TG 334, HF's current favourite universal IEM, simply because I find the AKGs better sonically, more balanced and very Hi-Fi. I've also noticed in the last few months that the K3003 is the one IEM of all my TOTL IEMs (TG 334, FI-BA-SS, PF IX, 1601SS, IE800) that scales better than any of them.

FWIW, if I could keep just one IEM, it would definitely be the K3003, followed by the PF IX, but the latter is a very peculiar IEM and not one I'd easily recommend as it's a very idiosyncratic / different IEM with a type of sound that, to me, certainly is an acquired taste.

In a way I'm certainly not affected / upset by the K3003 bashing by 2/3 influential people, quite possibly because I tend to be more averse to blind praise / hype, even of products I quite enjoy.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #773 of 4,058
Welcome back, music_4321, and lol at your custom title.

Now no one can say they haven't been warned! 
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #774 of 4,058
Quote:
Welcome back, music_4321

Thanks.

Quote:
...and lol at your custom title.

Now no one can say they haven't been warned! 
wink.gif

Glad to see / know at least one person's been warned already.  :wink:

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #775 of 4,058
have to say that I've only found the full-sized HD800 to be better sonically, though certainly not by much, mind you (I find the HD800 & K3003 remarkably similar). I am, in fact, now selling my FitEar TG 334, HF's current favourite universal IEM, simply because I find the AKGs better sonically, more balanced and very Hi-Fi. I've also noticed in the last few months that the K3003 is the one IEM of all my TOTL IEMs (TG 334, FI-BA-SS, PF IX, 1601SS, IE800) that scales better than any of them.

FWIW, if I could keep just one IEM, it would definitely be the k3003

I agree, I spent many hours auditioning the hd800 but I really wanted that sound in an item. I enjoy the treble of the k3003 more than the hd800

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #776 of 4,058
Thanks for your reply music_4321 “A grumpy old sparrow”! I do enjoy your writings very much; clear, honest, well thought out, coherent 
wink_face.gif

and passionate. So, welcome back and great to have you back!

I’m sort of reluctant to write what I’m about to write in this post, because it has little to do with the AKG K3003 in and by itself. However, reading posts and reviews on HF (especially those in the review section) that categorically describes the K3003 as “characterized by a fundamental weakness or imperfection”, i.e. “flawed” tortures me, and I personally need to try to get that out of my system. I hope to do so by writing this post and then be done with it, so please bear with me. Maybe I’ll be banned, but necessity knows no law. So, here we go…

First I want to make perfectly clear that I’m not on a crusade to save the world by promoting the AKG K3003 as God’s gift to mankind. What something sounds like is governed by a vast number of parameters, from equipment to person to preferences. So what pleases one person may not necessarily please another person, and if you ask me that is more than perfectly alright!

The gripe I have with posts and reviews that categorically describe the K3003 as seriously “flawed” (i.e.: “characterized by a fundamental weakness or imperfection”) is that “flawed” is simply the wrong word choice! If I were to buy a wristwatch that didn’t show the correct time, it would be flawed. If the breaks on a vehicle don’t work it would be flawed. However, if Itzhak Perlman would choose to play a passage of a violin concerto incoherently by using two strings rather than coherently using one string, no one in their right mind would describe his performance or violin as “flawed”. Some may not like it and they are entitled to, but to call it flawed would IMHO be just plain wrong.

So what drives me to write this post if it is not to save the world by promoting the AKG K3003 as God’s gift to mankind, and if it is not to justify the spending of my hard earned money on “a flawed universal IEM”? I’ll answer the question with another question. Would you consider even trying a $1,500.00 IEM if you knew beforehand and truly believed it had a “serious flaw”, as some otherwise knowledgeable HF members claim? Well, I for one certainly wouldn’t!

Having read several critical reviews about the K3003 and especially about its coherency issues (and having seen "the silly commercial") I had no intention of even trying it. However, as faith had it in my way, I happened to try the K3003 (perhaps to get my preconceptions confirmed) in my audio store when I was really there to give the Sennheiser IE 800 a listen. What I heard was pretty much answer to my prayers and I just knew my modest collection of headphones would be incomplete without the K3003. The K3003 seemed to be exactly what I for a long time had been looking for. I thought to myself: “to hell with the coherency issues, to hell with the treble peaks, dips, flaws, harshness, outrageous price, etc., etc.. I've been listening to headphones long enough to know what I hear, and I know when I like it.”

So finally (and this is the main point of my post), if you (like I was) are looking for a high end reference universal in ear monitor (in my opinion surpassing many of the qualities of my other high end reference headphones) then don’t take anyone’s word for it. Listen to the AKG K3003 for yourself because I think there is a very good chance you’ll think it’s worth its price and more!

Of course, there is a (slight) possibility you won’t like it, but do know this; if you call it “flawed” I’ll flay you! 
normal_smile .gif
(<- Known as a “smiley”, meaning the last sentence is intended as a joke not to be interpreted verbatim or taken seriously. Just to make sure!).

Thanks for reading! I feel a little lighter now!
regular_smile .gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #777 of 4,058
Quote:
Thanks for your reply music_4321 “A grumpy old sparrow”! I do enjoy your writings very much; clear, honest, well thought out, coherent 
wink_face.gif

I’m sort of reluctant to write what I’m about to write in this post, because it has little to do with the AKG K3003 in and by itself. However, reading posts and reviews on HF (especially those in the review section) that categorically describes the K3003 as “characterized by a fundamental weakness or imperfection”, i.e. “flawed” tortures me, and I personally need to try to get that out of my system. I hope to do so by writing this post and then be done with it, so please bear with me. Maybe I’ll be banned, but necessity knows no law. So, here we go…

First I want to make perfectly clear that I’m not on a crusade to save the world by promoting the AKG K3003 as God’s gift to mankind. What something sounds like is governed by a vast number of parameters, from equipment to person to preferences. So what pleases one person may not necessarily please another person, and if you ask me that is more than perfectly alright!

The gripe I have with posts and reviews that categorically describe the K3003 as seriously “flawed” (i.e.: “characterized by a fundamental weakness or imperfection”) is that “flawed” is simply the wrong word choice! If I were to buy a wristwatch that didn’t show the correct time, it would be flawed. If the breaks on a vehicle don’t work it would be flawed. However, if Itzhak Perlman would choose to play a passage of a violin concerto incoherently by using two strings rather than coherently using one string, no one in their right mind would describe his performance or violin as “flawed”. Some may not like it and they are entitled to, but to call it flawed would IMHO be just plain wrong.

So what drives me to write this post if it is not to save the world by promoting the AKG K3003 as God’s gift to mankind, and if it is not to justify the spending of my hard earned money on “a flawed universal IEM”? I’ll answer the question with another question. Would you consider even trying a $1,500.00 IEM if you knew beforehand and truly believed it had a “serious flaw”, as some otherwise knowledgeable HF members claim? Well, I for one certainly wouldn’t!

Having read several critical reviews about the K3003 and especially about its coherency issues (and having seen "the silly commercial") I had no intention of even trying it. However, as faith had it in my way, I happened to try the K3003 (perhaps to get my preconceptions confirmed) in my audio store when I was really there to give the Sennheiser IE 800 a listen. What I heard was pretty much answer to my prayers and I just knew my modest collection of headphones would be incomplete without the K3003. The K3003 seemed to be exactly what I for a long time had been looking for. I thought to myself: “to hell with the coherency issues, to hell with the treble peaks, dips, flaws, harshness, outrageous price, etc., etc.. I've been listening to headphones long enough to know what I hear, and I know when I like it.”

So finally (and this is the main point of my post), if you (like I was) are looking for a high end reference universal in ear monitor (in my opinion surpassing many of the qualities of my other high end reference headphones) then don’t take anyone’s word for it. Listen to the AKG K3003 for yourself because I think there is a very good chance you’ll think it’s worth its price and more!

Of course, there is a (slight) possibility you won’t like it, but do know this; if you call it “flawed” I’ll flay you! 
normal_smile .gif
(<- Known as a “smiley”, meaning the last sentence is intended as a joke not to be interpreted verbatim or taken seriously. Just to make sure!).

regular_smile .gif

Great post, Aero Dynamik, and nothing you should be afraid of getting banned for.

Edit: Well, nothing except for the font choice, that is.
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #778 of 4,058
Quote:
I agree, I spent many hours auditioning the hd800 but I really wanted that sound in an item. I enjoy the treble of the k3003 more than the hd800

Interesting —there now appear to be more than a handful of people (that I know of) who seem to find the K3003 & HD800 sonically (quite) similar.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

normal_smile .gif

regular_smile .gif

Thanks for the very kind words, Aero Dynamik.

I have to say your post (irrespective of the flattering comments sent my way) is a breath of fresh air, and not exactly, either, because you're enjoying the K3003s so much—which, btw, is great!—but because you address certain issues in a very refreshing manner not often seen round these parts.

You also seem truly passionate about music first and gear afterwards (always a good sign in by book).

And last, but certainly by no means least, it's great that you avoided the use of audio jargon—not that one always should, mind you—but I'm personally often put off by what not so infrequently seems to me an exercise in cut-and-paste with the overuse of such terms, which, unfortunately, often has the desired effect of impressing several/many people, much like good marketing.

Oh...and I agree completely that the K3003 advert is mostly rubbish, but in a way I can understand AKG (or perhaps, more likely, Harman in this case) for marketing it that way — the actual design (and price!) of the K3003 certainly lends itself to such type of marketing (read: an exclusive piece of [audio] jewellery). Mind you, I did like the fact it was the female character who in the end kept the AKGs (thought that was brilliant — perhaps women 'also' appreciate very good sound?). Looking at the K3003s more closely, though, one can see that they're a little more than an expensive pretty piece of (audio) jewellery.

Anyway, great post, and don't let james444 dissuade from using that font again!  :wink:

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #779 of 4,058
Quote:

What about asian-fail* instead of flawed? 
biggrin.gif

*Sorry, it's an Americanism

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #780 of 4,058
Quote:

If Itzhak Perlman's violin is unable to reproduce the tones that it should and Itzhak Perlman wants out of it, Itzhak Perlman's violin is "flawed" (maybe even broken.)

Similarly, if the K3003 is unable to reproduce the tones that it should and it's owner wants out of it, it is "flawed" (maybe even broken.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back