AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Mar 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,686 of 4,058
Mar 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,687 of 4,058
I got my Final Audio ear tips today. 

My first impressions: 

The tips are very tight so it is not easy to set them to the K3003, but at least it works.

The sound impression changes to a darker sound, a little bit like my LCD-2. The insulation is better as the original tips and the rest you hear from outside is also darker. I'm loving the changes the tips make.

With a little bit of skill its easy to bring this Tips on P........Sch........ IN EAR(Chief Engineer from K3003&K812)

Regards Nomax

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,688 of 4,058
well it looks like final audio has an official dealer in Greece , so i will go by their place and see if they have any stock tips for sale

the K3 stock tips sound good but i am intrigued by nomax's praise of the FA tips.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,689 of 4,058
well it looks like final audio has an official dealer in Greece , so i will go by their place and see if they have any stock tips for sale

the K3 stock tips sound good but i am intrigued by nomax's praise of the FA tips.

You will hear and love it the A tips,i am sure

NOMAX

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,690 of 4,058
So Angie vs K3003 has been cancelled as I got the Layla instead
evil_smiley.gif

She's been making love to my ears for the last couple of nights
devil_face.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #2,691 of 4,058
In case of layla,yes this lady sounds great,but very very bad wearing comfort,to heavy,to overlarged,this is a BIG NO GO for an 2500 USD IN EAR!!i think 5 of 10 will have a fitting problem with Lalya!one of the most overpriced Products that i ever heard

For the same money you can buy three K3003

Regards NOMAX

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,692 of 4,058
For them being ridiculous looking/sized for $2500. Yes... I quite agree. It's too bad JH wasn't able to make them look nice like the K3003. For what's worth they do look expensive as hell.

Actually the Layla is very comfortable for me personally. And the fit is secure and easy.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,693 of 4,058
Ok, I finally found the time to try FAD tips on my K3003 and compare them to the stock tips. Please note that I personally get a really good fit and seal with stock tips and my results may not apply to you, especially if you're having a problem in that regard. The FAD tips are a lot more rubbery and sticky, so I'd recommend them to those who feel that their seal with stock tips is not secure or possibly even leaky.

The FAD tips I used for the comparison look like Type A, but are from the new Heaven VII, so the may not be exactly the same as the older ones.
That said, here are my stock and FAD tips side by side:

The FAD tips' opening is slightly narrower than that of the nozzle (and stock tips), which seems to cause in a mild reverse-horn effect and attenuate treble response. At least that's how I hear it, because treble sounds slightly more subdued and the midrange more forward in comparison.

Interestingly, bass response is depends on how far the tips are pushed onto the nozzle, as the placement on the left sounds less bassy to my ears than the one on right:

(Note that in either case, the nozzle vent is not covered by the tip stem)

I can see how the change in sound signature may be welcome by those who feel that the K3003 sound a bit too treble happy and forward with stock tips, but apart from a more downsloping treble response (and as a consequence, slightly warmer and fuller mids). I haven't been able to detect any noteworthy improvements in sound quality.

Last not least, note that you don't need to buy FAD tips to tame treble response, since a simple piece of dried alcohol swab tucked between nozzle and tip will also do the trick:

Disclaimer: just my 2c, ymmv, etc...
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2,694 of 4,058
Not to mention that a reverse horn effect will reduce treble extension, which would not be an effect I'd want on the k3003's impressive treble. James444's suggestion of a dried alcohol swab would be a better solution In my estimation. But always good to have options.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2,696 of 4,058
  So Angie vs K3003 has been cancelled as I got the Layla instead
evil_smiley.gif

She's been making love to my ears for the last couple of nights
devil_face.gif

I can only imagine that the Layla is spectacular as the Angie is still doing it for me.  But I will never pay that much for an earphone, so I will take your word for it. And for the K3003, I must say it continues to impress with more and more burn-in. It is a very pleasant and pleasing earphone that seems to do most things right.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2,697 of 4,058
i managed to find today some FINAL AUDIO tips in a store here

they sold types A,B and C (small and medium size) , however although i could take as many medium tips of any type i wanted for just 1,5 euro/tip (=3 euros/pair) , i could only buy the small ones in bulk sets of 5 pairs for 12 euros

long story short , i tried the medium tips of type A/C (type B just wouldn't fit with my K3003 nozzle) and i bought 2 pairs of type A and 2 pairs of type C for 12 euros in total (all medium size) which seemed to fit to my ears just great

i will get back with impressions , if anyone in europe seems to want some of these tips , i could buy as many pairs he likes and have it sent to him

like i said their pricing is the following

type A-B-C medium size : 1.5 euro/tip (3 euros/pair)
type A-B-C small size : 12 euros / 5 pairs (if i remember correct)

i guess postage to europe would come to around 10 euros , i don't mean to make any money off it , just wanna hellp some fellow head-fiers here

i also tried the FI-BA-SS , and it sounded 'dry' and way less enjoyable than my K3003 - maybe it hasn't been burned in , in any case i don't feel like i am losing something (its price was 1100 euros , when i got my used like K3s for 570 euros )

cheers

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,698 of 4,058
i can wear medium and large but with Large from FAD i got the best isolation because it fits perfekt

its very important that you take a overlarged Tip then a to small tip because the Ear Shape will be larger with the time

@Proedros with skill the B type will also fit on your K3003 nozzle lol but its sounds not good

REGARDS MASTER NOMAX

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #2,699 of 4,058
@ James444
  Ok, I finally found the time to try FAD tips on my K3003 and compare them to the stock tips. Please note that I personally get a really good fit and seal with stock tips and my results may not apply to you, especially if you're having a problem in that regard. The FAD tips are a lot more rubbery and sticky, so I'd recommend them to those who feel that their seal with stock tips is not secure or possibly even leaky.

The FAD tips I used for the comparison look like Type A, but are from the new Heaven VII, so the may not be exactly the same as the older ones.
That said, here are my stock and FAD tips side by side:

The FAD tips' opening is slightly narrower than that of the nozzle (and stock tips), which seems to cause in a mild reverse-horn effect and attenuate treble response. At least that's how I hear it, because treble sounds slightly more subdued and the midrange more forward in comparison.

Interestingly, bass response is depends on how far the tips are pushed onto the nozzle, as the placement on the left sounds less bassy to my ears than the one on right:

(Note that in either case, the nozzle vent is not covered by the tip stem)

I can see how the change in sound signature may be welcome by those who feel that the K3003 sound a bit too treble happy and forward with stock tips, but apart from a more downsloping treble response (and as a consequence, slightly warmer and fuller mids). I haven't been able to detect any noteworthy improvements in sound quality.

Last not least, note that you don't need to buy FAD tips to tame treble response, since a simple piece of dried alcohol swab tucked between nozzle and tip will also do the trick:

Disclaimer: just my 2c, ymmv, etc...
wink.gif

Thanks for taking the time to do that, James. I was ready to bet that changing the tips will only change the highs a bit, nothing spectacular really.

Regarding your mod, doesn't the swab alter the mids as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back