AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 8, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #211 of 4,058
Quote:
As I've said before, there isn't a night and day difference in sound quality between the K3003, FI-BA-SS and UERM overall, but with low volume listening things become more distinct and the K3003 rise above the others. Why is that? Well, on the one hand because their dynamic bass driver delivers the best texture and on the other hand because the AKGs have extremely good dynamics, even when played rather quietly. The FADs need a little more volume to come alive and the UERMs stay rather bland and unenthusiastic until about mid volume.

Low volume listening: K3003 > FI-BA-SS > UERM

Great review. Glad to see you separate this category out. Low volume is the true test of an IEM system IMHO.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #212 of 4,058
I have to be perfectly honest and admit I wasn't going to post the following impressions, but I've been persuaded by someone who suggested I should.

Please note this is not a review.

I've only A/B'd the K3003s against my ES3X & EX1000. My sources being my 4G Touch and MacBook Pro. The combo with the Touch is excellent, or so my ears tell me. Same goes for the MacBook Pro, just brilliant synergy all round. I've yet to try the K3003s with my (still unsold) 64GB Sony A857, but I'm in no hurry to do so. That said, The AKGs are slightly easier to drive than the EX1000s, and the ES3Xs are more sensitive than the other two.

I found the K3003 somewhere in between both the Westones & Sonys. However, overall they are a little closer sounding to the EX1000s, even when all 3 frequencies are rendered somewhat differently.

The mid-bass on the AKGs has been done so right!! Finally someone gets it right with a perfect balance of sub-bass, mid-bass, still allowing for a perfectly smooth and accurate midrange - absolutely superb.

I've always found the ES3X's mids to be their strong suit and my reference to judge the midrange in other phones. The K3003's mids sound a little more life-like, though. My guess is not just the different way the ES3X & K3003 have been tuned, but the more accurate blending of frequencies on the K3003s, with a more coherent presentation, may be giving me that little extra sense of naturalness in the midrange.

High frequencies are also the best I've heard, never harsh, shrill, but never recessed, the clarity is quite remarkable and very natural.

This is the very first time one of my all-time favourite albums, Robert Fripp's Exposure, sounds absolutely right - at last! No other IEM or full-sized headphone - only proper speakers - had ever convinced me when listening to this particular album, some got close, but never really quite got there. Starless, the studio version, off King Crimson's Red album from the latest 40th Anniversary series remasters sounds simply incredible, the percussion sounds stunningly good and so lifelike, mids are to die for, and bass sounds also fantastic, tight, well-rounded, note weight just like it should be, and never overpowering, thin, boomy or sloppy.

(Bartok & Beethoven) string quartets, and the rendering of strings in general, is quite simply breathtaking - I was honestly a bit surprised to hear strings sounding so very right. Timbre on the AKGs is literally something else with every instrument and/or voice thrown at them. Good recordings shine, and even not so good ones sound better than with any other phone I've heard. Acoustic guitar has never sounded this good, either.

On string quartets & quintets and chamber music, in general, however, the AKGs do better than anything else I've ever heard, and where the EX1000 might at times sound slightly thin with certain recordings (and not so with others), the K3003s always seem to get it right, or never make certain recordings leave you with a sense that something's not quite right.

The EX1000 is indeed very impressive with orchestral music, and certainly the best I had heard with this type of music. The Sonys really excel with (very) good recordings (of any genre). I was already very impressed by the EX1000s with orchestral music, where the ES3Xs simply couldn't compete. However, I've been most impressed by how the K3003s render orchestral works, or at least the orchestral works I've so far thrown at them. There may be a couple of recordings where the Sonys can almost practically match the K3003's performance & realism, though, yet very subtle details in the mids & refinement of high frequencies still give the AKGs the upper hand

Detail retrieval is EXCELLENT, never distracting, all instruments clearly defined, yet blending wonderfully, absolutely seamless transitions along the whole freq range - remarkable. these IEMs are truly reference, or at least that's how I perceive them.

Soundstage depth and width strike a wonderful balance, where nothing feels constricted, boxed in or artificially boosted/created. Orchestral music sounds phenomenal - Sibelius' Violin Concerto in D Minor, Mozart's Requiem, Bach's Mass on B Minor, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Elgar's Cello Concerto in E Minor, or Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto never sounded quite like this.

Unlike the CKM99s, which are very good at lower volumes but quite frankly suck at higher ones (I only use them in bed late at night and often at very low volumes), and the EX1000 not being convincing enough at lower volumes with some kinds of music, the AKGs excel at any volume level, much like my ES3Xs, which are very solid at any volume level, but at lower ones the AKGs get that extra bit of richness, musicality and sense of realism.

As for isolation, I haven't got any Westone/Shure universals with me anymore, I had a chance to test the K3003s during a flight along with my ES3Xs. My customs, of course, provided better isolation and made the journey more bearable, but the AKGs were not all that bad, they reminded me of times I used my UM3Xs during flights, hence why I said the AKGs were not that far. Still, I remember my W4s back in April blocking more outside noise than the AKGs and, of course the W4s and UM3Xs offer very similar levels of isolation.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #213 of 4,058
Quote:
James do us a favour and get your beloved EX1000 back so you can give us some real comparison with the K3003! 

Once that's done, you can loan your K3003 to lucky me! 
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The EX1000 will remain special to me because of their headphone-like presentation, which is really remarkable among IEMs. Even if the K3003 turn out to be better, I'll always be drawn back to them for their presentation alone.

As for the loaner, just give me some time, I've almost lost track of all my loaners floating around somewhere. Once I get a few of them back, I'll start making new plans. Rest assured, you'll definitely be on my list.
wink.gif

Quote:
^ Thank you for this wonderful post, james. 

Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
EXCELLENT impressions, James444! Now, I haven't heard either the UERM or FI-BA-SS, but I can relate to A LOT of what you're describing/hearing.

One thing, though - in my case, I find the K3003's isolation quite decent, not Westone/Shure-like but not all that far, either, and better than on the EX1000s. I've also wondered about a vent on the AKGs, but so far, I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks, I think I simply misinterpreted your earlier post and set my expectations up too high regarding isolation. Somewhere between the Westones/Shures and EX1000 seems about right.

Quote:
A hair more bass than the EX1000?  That sounds almost perfect.  
biggrin.gif

You know the EX1000's bass is just right for me, since I may have developed some kind of mid-bass allergy over the years. But if it comes in quantities like on the K3003, it's no problem at all and actually beneficial for some kind of music.

Quote:
Great review. Glad to see you separate this category out. Low volume is the true test of an IEM system IMHO.

Thanks, these are rather early impressions than a review, but from past experience things rarely change much later on.

Quote:
I have to be perfectly honest and admit I wasn't going to post the following impressions, but I've been persuaded by someone who suggested I should.

... and I'm glad you did, because they don't just show your enthusiasm for a new piece of gear, but also your deep passion for music. I like them a lot.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #214 of 4,058

Quote:
The EX1000 will remain special to me because of their headphone-like presentation, which is really remarkable among IEMs. Even if the K3003 turn out to be better, I'll always be drawn back to them for their presentation alone.

As for the loaner, just give me some time, I've almost lost track of all my loaners floating around somewhere. Once I get a few of them back, I'll start making new plans. Rest assured, you'll definitely be on my list.
wink.gif

I was looking forward to Pianists take on the EX1000 and I know he was on the tour.  What happened to him?

Quote:

Your contributions are sorely missed.  Thanks for the impressions.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #215 of 4,058
Quote:
I was looking forward to Pianists take on the EX1000 and I know he was on the tour.  What happened to him?

My EX1000 are currently in Canada and if Daanish is still in contact with Pianist, then he'll get to hear them. I don't know what happened to him, but he's had a habit of just popping up out of nowhere after months of silence.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #216 of 4,058
Interesting about the low volume listening.  My previous champ for that was the FX700 which I thought was surprisingly good around 35 dB give or take by my guess.  Sounds like the 3003 is even better then?  I kind of wish they were more open if that's the case.  I'm still looking for a ambient awareness IEM that I can enjoy as much as my customs. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #217 of 4,058
Quote:
This is the very first time one of my all-time favourite albums, Robert Fripp's Exposure, sounds absolutely right - at last! No other IEM or full-sized headphone - only proper speakers - had ever convinced me when listening to this particular album, some got close, but never really quite got there. Starless, the studio version, off King Crimson's Red album from the latest 40th Anniversary series remasters sounds simply incredible, the percussion sounds stunningly good and so lifelike, mids are to die for, and bass sounds also fantastic, tight, well-rounded, note weight just like it should be, and never overpowering, thin, boomy or sloppy.

Good test albums and excellent taste in music! I owned Exposure on LP but I'm not sure that I ever saw it on CD. I have the original Red on CD; I should look for the remaster.

Thanks for the excellent (``not a``) review.   :)

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #218 of 4,058

Quote:

It does feel very strange to have my EX1000s up for sale - they're also a very dear phone to me. They are indeed a great phone and the first IEM to match my ES3Xs 100%, even though both have very different sound presentations. With most good recordings and/or masterings the Sonys really, really shine and show what they're capable of, but with not so good ones, generally the brighter or 'loudness-wars' type of recordings - and sadly there are many of those around these days - the ES3Xs are more forgiving.

Quote:
... and I'm glad you did, because they don't just show your enthusiasm for a new piece of gear, but also your deep passion for music. I like them a lot.
smile_phones.gif

Thank you (again). Yes, music will most definitely always come first.

Quote:
Your contributions are sorely missed.  Thanks for the impressions.

Thank you.

Quote:
Good test albums and excellent taste in music! I owned Exposure on LP but I'm not sure that I ever saw it on CD. I have the original Red on CD; I should look for the remaster.

Thanks for the excellent (``not a``) review.   :)

Thank you - it's rather embarrassing to be thanking 3 different people in one post . :)

Anyway, the Exposure album I now have is the 2006 edition, and RF was 100% involved in the project - it's a marked improvement on the previous 1983 CD release. The 2006 edition is a 2-CD set, with two versions of the whole album (the original 1979 release and the 1983 remix and there are some very interesting differences between both), plus 5 different versions of 5 different tracks sung by different people who were involved in the making of the album. The liner notes, by RF, are also worth reading.

As for KC, so far, there have been seven 40th Anniversary remasters, all of which include several audio formats, and all done by Steven Wilson and supervised by RF all along.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #219 of 4,058
Quote:
Interesting about the low volume listening.  My previous champ for that was the FX700 which I thought was surprisingly good around 35 dB give or take by my guess.  Sounds like the 3003 is even better then?  I kind of wish they were more open if that's the case.  I'm still looking for a ambient awareness IEM that I can enjoy as much as my customs. 

35dB?  That's amazingly quiet.  Where do you find somewhere quiet enough where 35dB is a reasonable listening level?

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #220 of 4,058

Quote:
35dB?  That's amazingly quiet.  Where do you find somewhere quiet enough where 35dB is a reasonable listening level?

Library, reading room, etc.  It's actually to listen and maintain situational awareness in other circumstances as well.  Like doorbells and diesels pulling up outside.  

I usually listen on the louder side though compared to most folks here.  Most phones at 65dB are pretty lacking in dynamics for my tastes but there are the rare exceptions which is what I'm looking for.  

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #221 of 4,058
Quote:
Library, reading room, etc.  It's actually to listen and maintain situational awareness in other circumstances as well.  Like doorbells and diesels pulling up outside.  

I usually listen on the louder side though compared to most folks here.  Most phones at 65dB are pretty lacking in dynamics for my tastes but there are the rare exceptions which is what I'm looking for.  

Do you carry an SPL meter good for such a low level around with you or something.  I'm not sure how reliable the SPL charts I found with Google are but I'd imagine the "silence" of the library wouldn't be less than 35dB.  This company which sells SPL meters for high levels says that 35dB is a room specially designed for hearing testing.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #222 of 4,058

Quote:
Do you carry an SPL meter good for such a low level around with you or something.  I'm not sure how reliable the SPL charts I found with Google are but I'd imagine the "silence" of the library wouldn't be less than 35dB.  This company which sells SPL meters for high levels says that 35dB is a room specially designed for hearing testing.

I have one at home.  I can only reference what I'm used to with what the meter reads wrt IEMs so it's relative.  Like I said it was a guesstimate based on my SPL meter and my experiences as reference.  I don't use a golden reference meter that's stored in the same cryo vault in Paris next to the Platinum/Iridium Meter stick at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures.  
wink_face.gif
  My guide has a library listed at 30dB and normal speech around 60dB.  I know most of the rock concerts I've attended can hit up to 135dB which is why I always go w/ my isolating IEMs.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #223 of 4,058

Quote:
I have one at home.  I can only reference what I'm used to with what the meter reads wrt IEMs so it's relative.  Like I said it was a guesstimate based on my SPL meter and my experiences as reference.  I don't use a golden reference meter that's stored in the same cryo vault in Paris next to the Platinum/Iridium Meter stick at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures.  
wink_face.gif
  My guide has a library listed at 30dB and normal speech around 60dB.  I know most of the rock concerts I've attended can hit up to 135dB which is why I always go w/ my isolating IEMs.

There's a secondary reason why musicians use customs on stage (if not that at least ear plugs...)...  Although it's still loud (135-26 = 109 dB), it's not as loud...  It can help partially protect their hearing...  (waits for a musician to start using ER4s :p)

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #224 of 4,058
Well wow. I thought I was more than content with the W4. Would even go so far as to say that I had reached the end of my IEM journey. But james lured me over from the W4 thread, and after plowing through these 15 pages of impressions, I feel like I MUST somehow find a way to at least audition these.

Anyone care to throw up some more detailed comparisons between the W4 and K3003?
Particularly interested in how the sub-bass/midbass/treble sparkle compare, as these are the potentially weaker areas in the W4. Also, are the K3003 as forgiving as the W4? (I listen to a huge range of music, including a lot of metal - aka varying production/mastering qualities).

I'm a big fan of the isolation on the W4, but would sacrifice it a fair bit for an improvement in SQ in those areas I mentioned.

I also am concerned about the durability of these IEMs, as I'm still a student and my IEMs are my one and only gateway into music. If they break, I fall back to a set of PortaPros haha. At least the Westone customer service is second to none, I had to send my W3 back and they were superb.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #225 of 4,058
Ok, just time for a quick A/B with the W4 (Björk - Crystalline, Elfterklang - Modern Drift, Hilary Hahn - Bach: Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings & Contino in D minor, Radiohead - Morning Mr Magpie) and the W4 aren't bad at all, but (who'd have guessed it?) the K3003 best them in many aspects: better bass texture and slightly more impact, better mids clarity and smoothness, better treble refinement and sparkle, but most of all better dynamics, depth, layering and transparity. The W4 sound significantly more like 2D, the K3003 almost holographic in comparison. There's virtually no aspect I can think of, in which the W4 have an upper hand, but don't get me wrong, I actually like these phones a lot. It's just that the AKGs are simply even better, and considering the price difference that shouldn't come as a surprise.

As for forgivingness, perhaps you could name me a few test tracks, I haven't had any glaring issues with my older recordings on either phone so far, but I think it would be best if you told me what to look for. Well and durability, I believe no one can answer this atm, since they've only just hit the market. Of course I would have preferred detachable cables and all, but at least they come with a 2 years warranty.

Oh, and btw as a student you shouldn't even be allowed in here, jm2c.
wink.gif
Anyway, falling back to your PortaPros (if the AKGs break) might actually be a good thing and finally show you the way to ultimate audio nirvana, but only if you have a drill nearby. 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back