AKG K271?
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 39
It has the best mid-range at its price class and even above, att least of the closed price-equivalents around...

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 39
I've decided that I'll probably go with the k271's because nobody has said that anything is better at their price range.

One more thing, I've read that the k240's use the same driver as the k271. Is that true? I read that the k240 is just the same thing as a k271, just with more bass, which I wouldn't mind if it didn't sacrifice mid quality. Also, they're cheaper! 

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #18 of 39
I don't know the technical specifications, but I've compared the K240mkII's vs the K272's and they do share many similar qualities. One is semi-open, one is closed. 240's were a bit warmer, but also a bit sloppier/slower... Both are good cans nevertheless.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 39
Are they equal in the mids? Or very close at least? 

I'm not sure what genres the music that I listen to would fall under, but I'll just name some common bands and hope that you're familiar I guess.

Bands: Brand New, The Shins, Fleet foxes, bright eyes, third eye blind, decemberists, evanescence, disturbed, after forever, system of a down, queen, kansas, the zombies.

What they all have in common are guitars and vocals.  

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 39
You have to be careful talking too much about audio because you'll start to spin your wheels.  If you can't listen to these before buying, you're going to have to take a shot in the dark.  My advice is that the biggest difference between K240s and K271 (and their exactly-the-same replacements) is that the K271 isolates outside noise and K240s does not.  So if you are typing, or clicking, or creaking, or air conditioning... this comes through open headphones much more than closed ones.  The void of isolation (or lack thereof) sounds more significant than the slight difference in audio reproduction.  That, and the price.  

PS: If you're going AKG, get a model with the removable cable so you can swap cables or repair them easier yourself.  Some of the new consumer ones don't have the mini-xlr plug.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 39
"you'll start to spin your wheels"   ... cool story bro.

The biggest difference between the two is isolation... Sure.

The fact that they both probably sound different isn't a big deal at all. <--sarcasm

By the way, I'm not five years old - I'm aware of what a closed headphone is and how it differs from an open one. 

Please try to post something relevant.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 39
Both do perform quite similarly, according to my ears, which doesn't say much.. The 240 measures a bit different though: 

Even though it does rise quite much quite rapidly, it wasn't too distracting when I tried it... I preferred my K272, but you might like the K240 better. Both are quite smooth, relaxing to listen to and don't leave much out of the music. What I like about them is that they don't have that thump-effect that is often quite distracting.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
Do the akg k240's even have forward mids? Could someone please respond to my past few posts btw?

I don't think either have really forward mids, but they're very engaging nevertheless, and without coloration! ... At least with the K272. I don't listen to the same kind of music you do, so I can't comment with that in mind. Players and notes to their pitch are distinguishable though, which to me is the most important feature of a headphone. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #25 of 39
Thank you very much electropop, you pretty much answered every question I had.

I'm actually just going to buy the k240's off of amazon, then if I don't like them, I'll just return them and try the k271. Then, if I don't like those, I might try the dj100's as I hear they have relatively forward mids.

Thumbs up!

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 39
I've been listening to the k240's for about a week now and the midrange is alright. The mids's definitely better than the ad700 and FA-011 in my opinion. However, the mids lack alot of detail. The bass is also WAY weaker than some people made it out to be. It's actually extremely flimsy and goes almost unheard when listening to anything with a decent amount of drums, guitars, and vocals. Weird fact about these: when letting them run through my fiio e9, the bass started to distort at 80hz and below. I'm not sure if they sound better unamped, but the bass is definitely better unamped. The mids are not completely smooth and relaxing sounding either. They can get peaky at times. Nice soft treble though.

These definitely arent for me. I'm trying the k271's next. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #27 of 39
Woah there, if you're looking for some serious slam, the K271 are definitely not for you at all. I like both of them for their ability to discern musical information, ie. notes to their pitch and great instrument separation. They're not as in-your-face as many like, but they're very adequate when you just sit down and listen to some music. 

That distortion doesn't sound cool though. Never had that problem with my K272. They're all about the mid-range though, but it's hard to move onto something with less accurate bass-articulation as well, though being a bit on the silent side...

I was positively surprised how the KRK KNS8400 performed when I compared them against my K272. The 6400 not so much, but you should probably give the 8400 a try instead. They had more bass, but it remained very articulate as well. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 39
I'm not really looking for bass, I was just pointing out that the bass on the k240's nothing to mention at all. When it goes low, it can distort pretty easily. Try some low freq 0db sine waves and you'll see. The bass is also not that high in quantity. 

I'm looking for midrange and soft highs though, so I won't really mind if the bass is significantly less than the k240's. I'm just not sure what people are saying when they talk about the k240 having bass. I can barely hear it in actual music.

So far:
Fischer FA-011(tried) - Mids not good enough and too much highs
Akg k240(tried) - Better, but still not good enough mids.
Akg 271 - I'm assuming will have more mids, which I want.
Koss dj100 - Maybe in between k240 and k271 in mids, but has a bass bonus.
KRK 6400 - ???

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #29 of 39
The K272 which I have, have excellent mid-range reproduction. It's not in your face, but it takes care of everything in its place. I disliked the 6400 myself and preferred the 8400 vastly, even in mid-range performance. The rise from 1kHz to bass in K240 might be so linear, in regards to bass-giants, that it's not that noticeable. But I don't know. Distortion aside, which I didn't experience (probably I don't listen at high enough volumes), I thought they were quite good. But I don't listen to coloration... 

The K271 might surprise you however. If you're looking for a presentation that's colored with a bit of lower bass (which many here prefer) they are not for you. It's very full in the way that you can hear everything. Large orchestra band and every instrument playing its notes to the pitch. I prefer this, since I listen quite much to multi-track modal music, such as jazz, fusion, progressive, Zappa :)

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #30 of 39
I recommend the K271mkII as well if you want to buy a new headphone.
The K240mkII/K240S/K242HD has a wide midbass hump that makes them sound very boomy, it bleeds up in to the mids too, causing everything to sound too warm.
The K271mkII/K272HD don't have the bass problem, so I think it would be better to go for them first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back