AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jan 29, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #602 of 1,737
Well, no one I know has one.
confused.gif
 Most of my friends are female so it's not too surprising I guess. I could buy one for 10 euros or so, but I don't  think I would use it for anything else, so it's hard to justify the cost. Still, it would be interesting to find out where the problem is.

Seller would, as compensation, be willing to sell another pair of Sextetts with broken pads and no AKG plates for $50 including the same cheap shipping, but I feel it's not a good deal. I'd have to spend more money and they could break as well. Trying to sort out a refund of some reasonable sort. He is willing to compensate, which is a positive thing.

Last week I bought a pair of K 141 vintage silvers, which should have the Sextett drivers minus radiators as far as I know, so hopefully that trade goes a bit better and I end up with some sort of working Sextett sound.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #603 of 1,737
Got my fifth Sextett. They keep on coming back to me
smile.gif

This time one with all white radiotors, so a late production.
Bass enough for me.
Great spacial sound, airier then I remember the MP's.

I bought them as a Philips N3990/99.
The story and pictures are here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371753/vintage-philips-n6330-sextett-look-alike-made-in-austria-by-akg/15#post_7223402

and here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371753/vintage-philips-n6330-sextett-look-alike-made-in-austria-by-akg/15#post_7237643

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #604 of 1,737
Regular-condition Sextetts seem to be going for up to $120-130 here on Head-Fi, and I've seen recabled/refurbished ones that sold for $200.

I can't say I've experienced the full Sextett magic, seeing as I've only heard one working driver, but I have to ask: are they really worth more than 100 dollars for the sound alone; i.e. are they overhyped? The one driver I heard, I'd describe as fun, not high-end or anything like that; based on this experience I wouldn't rate them technically higher than the K 501 for instance – which go for about the same price, right?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #605 of 1,737

Quote:
Regular-condition Sextetts seem to be going for up to $120-130 here on Head-Fi, and I've seen recabled/refurbished ones that sold for $200.

I can't say I've experienced the full Sextett magic, seeing as I've only heard one working driver, but I have to ask: are they really worth more than 100 dollars for the sound alone; i.e. are they overhyped? The one driver I heard, I'd describe as fun, not high-end or anything like that; based on this experience I wouldn't rate them technically higher than the K 501 for instance – which go for about the same price, right?

From what I've heard, they're a lot of fun, and still pretty technically good (at least, detailed). the "Grado'd AKG" description was very precise when I heard nikongod's pair. They routinely pop up for $100-120 here and on ebay so all you need is a little patience. A K501 is actually a lot rarer than a sextett (most people who have K501s won't give them up) and the lowest I've seen one recently is $140.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #606 of 1,737

Quote:
Well, no one I know has one.
confused.gif
 Most of my friends are female so it's not too surprising I guess. I could buy one for 10 euros or so, but I don't  think I would use it for anything else, so it's hard to justify the cost. Still, it would be interesting to find out where the problem is.

Seller would, as compensation, be willing to sell another pair of Sextetts with broken pads and no AKG plates for $50 including the same cheap shipping, but I feel it's not a good deal. I'd have to spend more money and they could break as well. Trying to sort out a refund of some reasonable sort. He is willing to compensate, which is a positive thing.

Last week I bought a pair of K 141 vintage silvers, which should have the Sextett drivers minus radiators as far as I know, so hopefully that trade goes a bit better and I end up with some sort of working Sextett sound.

If the headphones were dead on arrival, and you do not already have any means to diagnose or repair them, then you have no obligation to spend any more money. The seller should take them back for a full refund.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #607 of 1,737
There are two complications, Fitz:
1) Since the phones had a perfumed smell and I'm allergic, I unscrewed the headband, took off the pads and wiped the outer surfaces of the phones with cotton pads before plugging them in and testing if they work. I was careful doing this, but there's no way to prove if they were broken when I took them out of the box, since I didn't test them right away. This was totally my bad.
2) Sending the phones back would cost noticeably more than it cost to send them to me in the first place (overpriced Finnish postal service), so it's not reasonable for the seller to take them back.

Normally I wouldn't press for compensation in this situation. The reason, now, is that I paid $40 for shipping yet the seller had used First-Class Int'l with no tracking (= $13) and pocketed the difference. Between my cleaning the phones and having them spend two weeks in economy-class transit from the US to Finland, I'd say the shipping most likely had more to do with the malfunction. But I can't prove it.

The seller promised to refund $50 and bear the loss of the phones, and I've accepted that.

As for the K 501, yeah, they seem to be more rare than the Sextetts. But then, I just recently saw one in apparently good condition go for ~95 euros on eBay. A month or two ago a pair of K 400 went for only 44 euros, which is just strange.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #608 of 1,737
Does anyone know how one can go about ordering some parts for sextetts? I saw a name and a number in an earlier post but that post was made about 2~3 years ago and I wonder if they are still valid. I recently bought a pair of sextetts (mp) on ebay but the elastic is very loose to a point where the phones are hanging onto my head by pure clamping force. My ears are also touching the grills and I wonder if I need a new pair of pads as well. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #609 of 1,737
I just ordered some parts a few months ago, still valid.  Very nice guy too. 
smile_phones.gif

You call Frank at Harman Pro North America: 818-920-3279
AKG 2058Z-1001 Ear Cushion For K240     K240 elastics 2040M0303
Frank Rodriguez
Customer Service Administrator
Note New E-Mail Address:
frank.rodriguez@harman.com
Ph: 818-920-3279
Fax: 818-920-3208

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #610 of 1,737
Thanks for the info, Kevin. I will give him a call tomorrow and try to order those parts. Hopefully, it won't take three months to get here. :) 

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #611 of 1,737
I JUST purchased some pads from Sweetwater - a bit over $20 for a pair of K240 pleather pads.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #612 of 1,737
That's actually a great deal.  Sweetwater didn't used to carry them and they were 30 or 40 dollars from Frank if I remember correctly.  It's also a good price compared to what other manufacturers charge for pads.  Except Koss, but they're the exception. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #613 of 1,737
K240 pads: $20.70 for a pair from Frank.  The pricing is $10.35 ea, so you have to make sure to order 2 of them.

You can ask him on the phone what's in stock vs not.  In stock stuff ships in a day or two.  Very fast.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #614 of 1,737
Thanks for letting me know, Aflac. 40 dollars does seem a bit overpriced so I think I'll order from Sweetwater. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back