AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #526 of 1,737
They should be in sometime this week. Can't wait!

OTOH, do you guys recommend recabling them? IF so, what would be the best cable under $50 if I do it myself?

And also, how would they pair with a Lovely Cube?

Thanks guys! 

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #529 of 1,737
Yes, here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/279905/taking-the-k240-sextett-apart-step-by-step
Good luck.

Quote:
Are they any instructions or pictures for a newbie to take the K240 apart?

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #530 of 1,737
Hey guys,

I received my Sextetts yesterday and upon checking them out I'm confused as to what version they are.

The front of the radiators are light with a slight red tint on the edges while the rear is all red. So I thought they were MP. Then I checked out the gril and fro mthe photo guide, it is the EP grill. Does anyone have a clue which version it really is? Referring to the photo guide, it seems it could be either.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #532 of 1,737
Quote:
Hey guys,

I received my Sextetts yesterday and upon checking them out I'm confused as to what version they are.

The front of the radiators are light with a slight red tint on the edges while the rear is all red. So I thought they were MP. Then I checked out the gril and fro mthe photo guide, it is the EP grill. Does anyone have a clue which version it really is? Referring to the photo guide, it seems it could be either.

Sounds like a MP to me.  Do you mean the grill the protects the front of the driver and the passive radiators from being damaged by your ear?  If so that doesn't make a difference in what version it is.  Could of been left overs they needed to get rid of, so they used it.  It's like the headband with holes in it, it can be deceiving.  Far as I know the passive radiators would have to be red-ish orange for it to be an EP.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #533 of 1,737
I see. How much difference it is between the EP and MP as long as sound is concerned?

Also, do you guys recommend recabling the pair? I was thinking Cardas 4x24 or Fitz's BC...

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #534 of 1,737
Reportedly, the bass decreases a bit as you move from EP->MP->LP. I have the MP and LP and it's really hard to tell the difference... it's tiny enough that it might be placebo.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #535 of 1,737

Quote:
Reportedly, the bass decreases a bit as you move from EP->MP->LP. I have the MP and LP and it's really hard to tell the difference... it's tiny enough that it might be placebo.

I agree.  I have 1 EP, 2 MP's (one each different grills), and 1 LP.

The one "magical" MP I have differs more than the EP, other MP, and LP differ between them.  The "magical" MP has the "earlier" grill.  The flat side is in towards the drivers, the rounded edges are out towards the ears.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #536 of 1,737

Quote:
Quote:

I agree.  I have 1 EP, 2 MP's (one each different grills), and 1 LP.

The one "magical" MP I have differs more than the EP, other MP, and LP differ between them.  The "magical" MP has the "earlier" grill.  The flat side is in towards the drivers, the rounded edges are out towards the ears.

Kevin, I'm not really understanding what you're reffering to for the "magical" MP. Is the earlier grill the left grill in the pic. below?

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #537 of 1,737
 The magical pair of mine has the grill on the right.  But it's not just the grill.  My EP pair also has that grill.  There is just something "different" with the one MP pair I have.  All the others, the EP, the other MP, and the LP all sound very similar.  Pretty darn good.  But the magical MP pair has enough bass to satisfy me (unlike the other 4) and fantastic mids and highs too.

That's why I don't believe the common belief that bass decreases from EP to MP to LP.  The one MP pair I have has more bass than the other 4 I have.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #539 of 1,737
So much mysteriousness surrounding these headphone! lol

Could it be that it not the grill but something else such as the drivers? Or maybe something as simple as the pads effecting the sound? 

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #540 of 1,737
Hey rhythmdevils: Just for kicks, what is "different" about your magic pair vs the others you've listened to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back