AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
May 21, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #423 of 1,737

Picked up some Monitors awhile back and liked what I heard with the little power my laptop had to offer.

So I started more research here and came across these HP's called Sextetts.
Got my Sextetts today. They have the "holey" band and all white passives. I plugged them into a Pioneer SX-780
beerchug.gif

I am amazed at what I'm hearing!

No lack in low, mids or high.  

I can't imagine besting these Sextett's. I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Monitor's on the Pioneer yet as they didn't come with the adaptor (on order). Its going to get interesting!

What are tubes going to do?!?
eek.gif

May 21, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #424 of 1,737
NIce!  Yeah the Sextetts make instruments sound like instruments.  Sounds like a duh comment, but most headphones don't do that! 

Definitely post your findings on the difference between the Monitor and Sextett.  I haven't heard the Monitor version myself.

May 21, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #425 of 1,737
Will let ya know when the adaptor comes in. I'm sitting here listening to the radio and truley amazed and what I'm hearing here. I don't want to over do it, but damn.  

May 29, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #426 of 1,737
Got the adaptor. At this point (2 untouched variations "M" vs. Sextett) Monitors stomp the Sextetts. Sextetts are all highs, while M's are more full range. Listening to Beatles 24 bit through a untouched Pioneer SX-780.

More to come...........

May 29, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #427 of 1,737

Sounds to me like your sextetts have damaged passive radiators,  nothing does bass like Sextetts can if they are restored.

Quote:
Got the adaptor. At this point (2 untouched variations "M" vs. Sextett) Monitors stomp the Sextetts. Sextetts are all highs, while M's are more full range. Listening to Beatles 24 bit through a untouched Pioneer SX-780.

More to come...........

May 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #428 of 1,737

I May have jumped to soon. The Beatles aren't the best for "low end". I tried a few different types, the Sextetts aren't lacking a passive. Right now I'd say the Monitors are more mid. Sextetts are definitely taking the high side, but not lacking bass.

I need more time. I shouldn't have come to such a hasty first impression! They are definitely different animals.

Niether one is going to suffer from lack of attention.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Sounds to me like your sextetts have damaged passive radiators,  nothing does bass like Sextetts can if they are restored.

May 29, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #429 of 1,737

Quote:

yeah sounds like something is off.  The sextett is definitely not all treble.  The LP has more treble and less bass, by a little bit, but those mids are all glory

May 29, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #430 of 1,737
ive got mp sextetts and late monitor now so i can also compare them directly. the sextetts are much more darker and bassier sounding - they do great with rock/metal (listened to Korn, Limp Bizkit, SOAD, RATM)

May 31, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #431 of 1,737
I was to quick saying the Sextett was bass lacking. After listening to more types of music, I realized the Sextetts definitely had the advantage. One thing I did notice was the Sextetts are louder then Monitors. I found myself reaching for the volume knob with the Monitors (from 9:00 to 10). Also, when switching between the 2, the Sextetts had a pretty noticable  "hiss" when plugged in. Maybe my RX?  Its bone stock. I like matching vintageequipment with music. Maybe I need to pull out an H/K x30 Twin.

Monitors are very "smooth/laid back" not a bass "strong" HP but sound good. Sextetts are more "in your face" with out being obnoxious, bass definitely there and have more detail on the highs.

The Sextetts are more "musical/alive".  

Both are great HP's! And neither will be lacking for attention. If I could do it over again....Sextetts.

Now I have to get my k518dj's in, Ipod service.
redface.gif

More time, more listening between the 2. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
yeah sounds like something is off.  The sextett is definitely not all treble.  The LP has more treble and less bass, by a little bit, but those mids are all glory

May 31, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #432 of 1,737
My posts are being held since I'm new.....?

edit: this one wasn't, maybe I'm taking to much time? I want to get my thoughts put down correctly. Maybe taking to much time? I forget this is a "fast lane" world. LOL!!

May 31, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #433 of 1,737
sweet just brought one with the silver AKG logo on the headband I think it was the k240m(600ohm) can't wait to test them out!

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #434 of 1,737
lucky me - just got LP Sextetts in nice condition (the cable was the only issue)  - I listened them shortly and they don't seem bass-light - definetely on par with Monitors. I wil have to listen them a bit more, but I can already say that they are worth buying! (great vocals!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back